Re: Stars in Northern and Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 02:05:14 AM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:10:24 AM by axl2468 »
"Science never solves a problem without creating ten more." - George Bernard Shaw

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 03:10:37 AM »
You are totally wasting your time, he is just setting you up so you can chase your tail and go in constant circles

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 03:13:00 AM »
Chasing my own tail is more fun than doing nothing at all.
"Science never solves a problem without creating ten more." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 10:49:18 AM »
Do you have evidence to support your claim?
What would you accept as evidence?

Evidence would be a good start...

Maybe something beyond an anecdote.
Do you ever make a meaningful post?

You were explicitly asked "What would you accept as evidence?" and you give the non-sensual answer "Evidence would be a good start..."
Any photograph that has evidence against the flat earth is deemed fake of "Photoshopped", so what is acceptable?

One a clear night (not like tonight) I can see the Southern Cross from near my back door and I certainly cannot see Polaris.

Of course I could give
Quote from: Samuel Birley Rowbotham
Another thing is certain, that from and within the equator the north pole star, and the constellations Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, and many others, can be seen from every meridian simultaneously;
So these stars can be viewed from the Northern Hemisphere, though not all from "every meridian simultaneously" as claimed.

Then
Quote from: Samuel Birley Rowbotham
But if the earth is a globe, Sigma Octantis a south pole star, and the Southern Cross a southern circumpolar constellation, they would all be visible at the same time from every longitude on the same latitude, as is the case with the northern pole star and the northern circumpolar constellations. Such, however, is strangely not the case; Sir James Clarke Ross did not see it until he was 8° south of the equator, and in longitude 30° W.

MM. Von Spix and Karl Von Martius, in their account of -their scientific travels in Brazil, in 1817-1820, relate that "on the 15th of June, in latitude 14° S, we beheld, for the first time, that glorious constellation of the southern heavens, the Cross, which is to navigators a token of peace, and, according to its position, indicates the hours of the night. We had long wished for this constellation as a guide to the other hemisphere; we therefore felt inexpressible pleasure when we perceived it in the resplendent firmament."

The great traveller Humboldt says:--

"We saw distinctly, for the first time, the cross of the south, on the nights of the 4th and 5th of July, in the 16th degree of latitude. It was strongly inclined, and appeared from time to time between the clouds. . . . The pleasure felt on discovering the Southern Cross was warmly shared in by such of the crew as had lived in the colonies."

Now, I do not agree with some of Rowbotham's conclusions here, but he quite correctly asserts at least that there are stars visible in the northern hemisphere that are not visible in the southern hemisphere and vice versa.

Of these, there is only one, Polaris, the North Star that is not visible anywhere in the southern hemisphere
and only one, Sigma Octantis, the South Star that is not visible anywhere in the northern hemisphere.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Stars in Northern and Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »
Do you have evidence to support your claim?
What would you accept as evidence?

Evidence would be a good start...

Maybe something beyond an anecdote.
Do you ever make a meaningful post?

You were explicitly asked "What would you accept as evidence?" and you give the non-sensual answer "Evidence would be a good start..."
Any photograph that has evidence against the flat earth is deemed fake of "Photoshopped", so what is acceptable?

Sorry, I'll try to be more "sensual" in my replies from now on. I think you missed the other part of my post you are quoting. I simply asked for something more than an anecdote.

While photos aren't considered concrete proof here, they're still good for discussion. So yeah, a photo taken by someone here (not just copied from an arbitrary website) would be a decent start for evidence.

The rest of your rant is premature. I haven't even established a position on the topic yet, so no need to jump to conclusions. I merely asked for evidence from someone making a claim. I apologize if that frustrates you, but I'll continue to ask for evidence when claims such as this are made.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »
Did you drop out of school and live with mommy and daddy still ?   Why do you want to hold other peoples hand and have them show you things ?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:08 PM »
Did you drop out of school and live with mommy and daddy still ?   Why do you want to hold other peoples hand and have them show you things ?

What a wonderful low-quality ad hominem. The epitome of round earth logic on display...

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 01:15:31 AM »
The rest of your rant is premature. I haven't even established a position on the topic yet, so no need to jump to conclusions. I merely asked for evidence from someone making a claim. I apologize if that frustrates you, but I'll continue to ask for evidence when claims such as this are made.
My rant! You call that a rant?

I would say that if you "haven't even established a position on the topic yet" it is about time! Rowbotham goes into considerable detail on the matter.
See Zetetic Astronomy, by 'Parallax', MOTION OF STARS NORTH AND SOUTH.
Mind you, I most certainly do not agree with some of his assertions.

The evidence that the "Southern Stars" do indeed rotate clockwise around a faint star, Sigma Octantis, is pretty conclusive.

What you choose to believe is quite up to you. There is no way anyone could convince you, other than your coming south to South Africa, Australia, or better the southern parts of Chile or Argentina yourself.

If you check with satellite weather photos of this location (south-east Queensland) you will note that we have had poor visibility for quite a while.

I am not well setup for star photos (the moon OK), but I'll give it a go. There is a bit much light pollution and the Southern Cross is heading towards the horizon at present.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:24:32 AM by rabinoz »

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 06:50:45 AM »
I have asked this before, but if the Flat Earth model were to be true, please explain the stars only seen in the northern or southern hemisphere?

I waited for an answer... And I didn't get one.
Any Flat Earthers there willing to answer?

(By the way, I don't see the answer for my question anywhere in the wiki.)
The earth is round for couples of weeks, concave to a lot of time and flat for very short time.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »
The earth is round for couples of weeks, concave to a lot of time and flat for very short time.
Have you a single piece of supporting evidence for the earth changing shape?

And you call yourself "truth", LOL!

Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2016, 12:54:02 AM »

Sure -
Star trails - Round earth and concave earth - supported
Different stars - round earth and concave earth - supported.
flaws in explanation why we can see Chicago from 60 miles - flat earth.
Flaws support my idea of changing earth.

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 01:06:48 AM »

you started using offensive words even before I had the opportunity to express myself.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »

Sure -

There are no "flaws in explanation why we can see Chicago from 60 miles" for the globe - refraction, leading to mirage. Just see how it varies with atmospheric conditions.

Mirage of the Chicago Skyline from Grand Mere State Park

Most of Chicago hidden - behind what?

Oops, where has Chicago gone?

Then you can get a mirage so extreme that a boat can appear floating in the air above the water, as in:

"Ghost Ship, probably on Lake Ssuperior

There's no need to drag in a "changing earth", all these observations are quite explainable on the Globe.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »
List one or two of these "flaws" please?  I would like to address them.

you started using offensive words even before I had the opportunity to express myself.
If you consider "laughing out loud" to be offensive, you're going to have a difficult life.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:40:45 PM by Rounder »
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2016, 07:16:19 PM »

Sure -

There are no "flaws in explanation why we can see Chicago from 60 miles" for the globe - refraction, leading to mirage. Just see how it varies with atmospheric conditions.

Then you can get a mirage so extreme that a boat can appear floating in the air above the water, as in:

There's no need to drag in a "changing earth", all these observations are quite explainable on the Globe.
People still discuss it, if it was so obvious as you say:
People won't discuss it so much. it is ,as other things, a subject for discussion therefore this a flaw like plenty of other discussions.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2016, 05:07:08 AM »

Sure -

People still discuss it, if it was so obvious as you say:
People won't discuss it so much. it is ,as other things, a subject for discussion therefore this a flaw like plenty of other discussions.
People discuss lots of things, but that doesn't make them "flaws".

The cause of all these effects is known. If you choose not to accept the explanations, that's your problem, not mine.