Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: junker gets a new phone 2018 edition
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 09:43:43 PM »
I'm p sure I've told you to get a Pixel in the last few threads. I stand by it.

As long as Tuesday goes as expected and I can get over no SD card and headphone jack, that is the plan. I think I've abandoned the idea of getting a 6T, so it is down to 3 phones at this point (Pixel / XR / Note 9).
How will you handle no headphone jack?  Bluetooth earbuds?
I have some shitty BT buds, but most likely just a dongle since my wired cans/buds are way better. My Z2 Force has a dongle and it works fine.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 12:52:28 AM »
I thought I'd miss the headphone jack but I virtually never need it. 99% of the time I listen to music is at my computer with my amp, the 1% of the time I'd like to listen to music with my phone the dongle is hardly the most cumbersome or annoying thing in the chain.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 05:01:23 AM »
The Pixel phones sure cost a lot for being information sieves for Google. Considering they're collecting and selling all of your information, you'd think they'd give you a discount.

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 07:31:01 AM »
The Pixel phones sure cost a lot for being information sieves for Google. Considering they're collecting and selling all of your information, you'd think they'd give you a discount.

All phones do that. It's not like different brands are any different. I've got a rooted s4 with a custom UI which I feel reasonably safe on but I accept privacy is dead.

Also this.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2018/10/04/the-chinese-spy-chip-story-is-a-reminder-of-how-insecure-our-digital-world-really-is/#7044b6f07e13
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:33:19 AM by disputeone »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »

All phones do that. It's not like different brands are any different. I've got a rooted s4 with a custom UI which I feel reasonably safe on but I accept privacy is dead.

Also this.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2018/10/04/the-chinese-spy-chip-story-is-a-reminder-of-how-insecure-our-digital-world-really-is/#7044b6f07e13

https://nypost.com/2018/04/03/why-microsoft-and-apple-dont-need-to-sell-your-data/

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »
I've already pointed out that the Gemini is the best option numerous times.

All phones do that.

Incorrect. Not even all Android phones do that. If you don't want your data sent to Google, install a custom OS (such as LineageOS) that does not include Google Apps. But be ready for apps that rely on Google services to be completely broken.

Then there's SailfishOS, which should be coming out for my Gemini Real Soon Now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:43:31 AM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Rama Set

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »
Isn’t Sailfish the Star Citizen of mobile OSes?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 03:06:45 AM »
Isn’t Sailfish the Star Citizen of mobile OSes?

So it's the best OS?

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 12:21:22 AM »

Also this.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/03/why-microsoft-and-apple-dont-need-to-sell-your-data/

All phones do that.

Incorrect.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/heres-how-surveillance-in-america-drastically-changed-after-911-2012-8?r=US&IR=T

The new reality that followed 9/11 led NSA whistleblower William Binney to resign after “the NSA began purposefully violating the Constitution” in the process of gathering information on virtually every U.S. citizen.

Government spying capabilities are vast, including everything from general hacking techniques learned from Germany to a new FBI domestic wireless surveillance unit to the massive spy campaign on Occupy Wall Street run by the post-9/11 Department of Homeland Security.

American tech companies like Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Google and various mobile carriers are reportedly turning over user information.

Meanwhile, the NSA hired Israeli contractors to bug the telecommunications network and is in the process of building a $2 billion spy centre.

Shut it down!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:25:57 AM by disputeone »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 02:16:05 AM »

Also this.

All phones do that.

Incorrect.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/heres-how-surveillance-in-america-drastically-changed-after-911-2012-8?r=US&IR=T

The new reality that followed 9/11 led NSA whistleblower William Binney to resign after “the NSA began purposefully violating the Constitution” in the process of gathering information on virtually every U.S. citizen.

Government spying capabilities are vast, including everything from general hacking techniques learned from Germany to a new FBI domestic wireless surveillance unit to the massive spy campaign on Occupy Wall Street run by the post-9/11 Department of Homeland Security.

American tech companies like Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Google and various mobile carriers are reportedly turning over user information.

Meanwhile, the NSA hired Israeli contractors to bug the telecommunications network and is in the process of building a $2 billion spy centre.

Shut it down!

I doubt the NSA sells user data.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »
Also TIL all phones are in the US.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
fun fact:https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/14/u-s-intelligence-agencies-are-still-warning-against-buying-huawei-and-zte-phones/

The Huawei phones are very common here.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »
Pixel 3 starting at $799... Google thinking they are Apple now lmao.

Time to rethink things again...

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 09:34:18 PM »
Time to rethink things again...

Why are you dancing around buying the Gemini?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 03:39:53 AM »
>tfw still can't decide

may as well give up and get a gemini at this point

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
Okay well I bought an iPhone XS, which wasn't on my list, but whatever, I got a good trade in deal on my old crappy iPhone 6 so it worked out. And now that the 6 is gone, I can no longer use it as my crutch.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
Okay well I bought an iPhone XS, which wasn't on my list, but whatever, I got a good trade in deal on my old crappy iPhone 6 so it worked out. And now that the 6 is gone, I can no longer use it as my crutch.

Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »

Quality post...

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2018, 12:47:14 AM »

That T-Mobile deal is pretty dank. I’m also trading in my 6s and getting an XR.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »