Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Transgenderism
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »
Even though I'm a Batman, I am fully capable of using a regular human toilet.
The Mastery.

Thork

« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »
It is difficult to shit on target, hanging upside down though.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
I have no problem drawing a line in the sand at male and female.  Pick one and stick with it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »
It is difficult to shit on target, hanging upside down though.
I don't hang upside down when I take a crap. Who does that?
The Mastery.

« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »
Today I tucked my peen between my legs when I got out of the shower and did a little dance in front of the mirror.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
I don't see why. Society doesn't magically change their expectations of you just because you go trans (except, of course, for the presence of transphobes)

Actually, if one were to transition from male to female there is an expectationt that you start doing 'female' things like shaving one's legs or wearing makeup, despite the fact that hairy legs can be had by men or women, trans or otherwise. One thing that a trans woman I know has said is that she feels more pressure to 'dress up smartly' as a woman than as a man. it's perfectly acceptable for a man to go down to the shops looking like a slob, but a woman draws ire. Of course this is a women issue rather than just a trans-woman's issue, but it shows the change in expectations society has if you identify by a different gender. Doubtless a female-to-male trans man would be mocked if he ordered a sparkly fruit cocktail in a bar instead of a beer or something.

Historically, perhaps, but nowadays it's pretty clear cut. Most people talk about sex, not gender.

For the vast majority, sure, but then I'd guess it always has been. If it were, there wouldn't be the fascination with 'ladyboys' or Conchita Wurst's beard/dress combo or this thread. There is a minority of people for whom gender, sexuality, and physiological sex is an issue.

« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »
So gender expectations seem to be the problem and trying to fit what a gender is to society.  This seems like horrible justification for permanent modifications.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
So gender expectations seem to be the problem and trying to fit what a gender is to society.  This seems like horrible justification for permanent modifications.

It isn't your body they're modifying - what's the problem?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2014, 10:34:48 PM »
Because it's weird to me and things I find weird are bad and people are wrong for doing them
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2014, 11:01:33 PM »
I don't think "problem" is the right word. I might think that some of people's actions are fundamentally misguided without having any issue with them doing it in principle. It doesn't even have to be anything big - I feel like that about smoking. I think smoking is complete nonsense, but if you want to do it, meh, fine. As you say, it's their lives and their decisions.

Nonetheless, while I wouldn't actively stand in anyone's way to transitioning, I do wonder about the reasoning (both logical and emotional, if that even makes sense) and justification behind it.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2014, 12:55:34 AM »

I'm merely pointing out that the justification behind it is basically "because other people say I'm a girl and not a boy", at least in what I said.  You seem very defensive about even having an honest discussion about this.  I personally feel that the preferable option would be to address the issue where it is, the mind.  I'm sure there would still be cases where an individual would feel wrong in their body, and I don't have a problem with having the procedure.  I just have an issue with teens definitively being diagnosed with this when they are in their most fickle stage of life and their sexual orientation may change from month to month.

Rama Set

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2014, 02:12:16 AM »
Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness.  It has a psychological component but that is thought be caused during brain development in utero.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gender-dysphoria/Pages/Causes.aspx

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2014, 02:41:56 AM »
Nonetheless, while I wouldn't actively stand in anyone's way to transitioning, I do wonder about the reasoning (both logical and emotional, if that even makes sense) and justification behind it.
This was the point I tried to make a few pages back.

Anecdotally, my closest friend's brother is transitioning to female. He is planning to begin hormone therapy within half a year. I am extremely close with their family, and all members of said family are in shock over what is going on, not to mention extremely upset. None of them saw any signs of gender dysphoria, and stories from his past that he mentioned that he claimed "pointed out that he was a girl" were utter bullshit.

My opinion is that he is depressed, hopeless, and feels as if he has failed as a man. He has no job, his parents split when he was in middle school, he seeks approval from his father but doesn't get it etc...

He feels as if he has failed as a man, so the logical conclusion is that he was never meant to be a man.

My question to transgenders is this: If "gender" is how you feel about yourself, why must you change your outsides and mannerisms to achieve satisfaction? Why not just embrace whatever qualities and characteristics you have, and let your physical body be secondary?
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Rama Set

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2014, 03:00:03 AM »
No offense but do you think your opinion should count much in medical matters?  As I pointed out above there is a physiological pathology to gender dysphoria, it is not simply a body image issue at least in true cases. I am sure there are false positives and I hope they are few and far between.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2014, 03:06:32 AM »
No offense but do you think your opinion should count much in medical matters?  As I pointed out above there is a physiological pathology to gender dysphoria, it is not simply a body image issue at least in true cases. I am sure there are false positives and I hope they are few and far between.

I never said my opinion matters. I just gave my opinion.

Also, I was just giving a personal example. I don't believe all transgender cases occur this way.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »

I'm merely pointing out that the justification behind it is basically "because other people say I'm a girl and not a boy"

I think most of the time it has very little to do with what "other people" say and more how the person themself feels.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »

I'm merely pointing out that the justification behind it is basically "because other people say I'm a girl and not a boy"

I think most of the time it has very little to do with what "other people" say and more how the person themself feels.
If you would have at least quoted my entire sentence you would have seen I was speaking about that one train of thought, which seems to be the most popular among those posting here.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »

I'm merely pointing out that the justification behind it is basically "because other people say I'm a girl and not a boy", at least in what I said.  You seem very defensive about even having an honest discussion about this.  I personally feel that the preferable option would be to address the issue where it is, the mind.  I'm sure there would still be cases where an individual would feel wrong in their body, and I don't have a problem with having the procedure.  I just have an issue with teens definitively being diagnosed with this when they are in their most fickle stage of life and their sexual orientation may change from month to month.

Getting treatment for transition is usually a very long, very painful process, with doctors acting as 'gatekeepers' between the patient and the full raft of treatments. Normally you have to demonstrate that you've lived as your desired gender for so long before they'll even consider you, even then very few go straight for 'nip/tuck' surgery, most begin a long, arduous process of medication for hormone replacement and testosterone/ estrogen blockers. I doubt anybody goes through transition lightly.

And if I seem defensive it's because I have friends who have or who are transitioning and some of the horror stories about abuse and bullying are genuinely upsetting.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
And if I seem defensive it's because I have friends who have or who are transitioning and some of the horror stories about abuse and bullying are genuinely upsetting.
Well no one here seems like the bullying type so there's no need to be defensive. We're just having a conversation to better understand the thought process or social reasons behind this movement.

Thork

« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »

Getting treatment for transition is usually a very long, very painful process, with doctors acting as 'gatekeepers' between the patient and the full raft of treatments. Normally you have to demonstrate that you've lived as your desired gender for so long before they'll even consider you, even then very few go straight for 'nip/tuck' surgery, most begin a long, arduous process of medication for hormone replacement and testosterone/ estrogen blockers. I doubt anybody goes through transition lightly.

Its not a transition. Its genital mutilation. They don't change your sex. They butcher your genitals. For many that's all they want. Like an extreme form of cutting. Its just attention.
You are what you are. Stop whinging. I'm not an 18 year old boy anymore as much as I wish I was. Knowing what I know now, and looking the way I did then ... Jesus Christ I'd stink of pussy. :-(