Re: Official Sports Thread
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »
The Cowboys are fucked without Romo. The Eagles will not make it to the Conference Championship, and the Panthers are winning the Superbowl over the Broncos. I'm sorry everyone, but that's how it's happening.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
The Panthers at home are a little scary, as is Seattle at home if we both happen to make it to the NFC Championship, but I think the Eagles have a great shot to play dark horse and beat them both.  They have been explosive.  They've been averaging close to 35 points in the second half of the season.  That's more than the Broncos over the same span.  If they make it to the playoffs it will be as a 7-1 team in the second half of the season.  I'm telling you, dark horse.  They have the talent in all three phases of the game.  The only thing that might hold them back is Kelly's inexperience in the NFL, which I think brutally unveiled its face in that game against the Vikings.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #222 on: December 25, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
No, the fact that the Eagles defense is complete shit is what unveiled them. The Vikings run outdated schemes, and had no business winning that game. Seriously, I'm still not sure what the fuck happened. I just don't see the Eagles D having the talent to stop any team with decent receivers (49'ers with Crabtree back, Seahawks with Harvin back, Broncos with Welker back, etc)

However, the Bears have an incredible WR duo and the Eagles shit on them. I didn't watch the game, so hey, maybe I'm totally wrong.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 25, 2013, 12:46:44 AM »
and the Panthers are winning the Superbowl...

Negative.

Rama Set

« Reply #224 on: December 25, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
The Eagles defense is vastly inferior to Seattle, SF or Carolina's and NOs so although they can score a lot, they are hardly stoppers on the other side of the ball. To me it's either Car or Sea based on quality of defense and QB play, who will make it to the SB.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2013, 02:55:50 AM »
Patriots vs. Broncos will be  the AFC championship game, Frank.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2013, 04:16:48 AM »
Patriots vs. Broncos will be  the AFC championship game, Frank.

Yes, because recent trends and league parity ensure that the #1 and #2 seeds will play in the conference championship game.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2013, 04:57:27 AM »
No, the fact that the Eagles defense is complete shit is what unveiled them. The Vikings run outdated schemes, and had no business winning that game. Seriously, I'm still not sure what the fuck happened. I just don't see the Eagles D having the talent to stop any team with decent receivers (49'ers with Crabtree back, Seahawks with Harvin back, Broncos with Welker back, etc)

However, the Bears have an incredible WR duo and the Eagles shit on them. I didn't watch the game, so hey, maybe I'm totally wrong.

Except for the Minnesota game the Eagles haven't let anyone score more than 21 points on them in ages.  That Vikings game was an aberration, plain and simple, but you know that if we hadn't let you guys have a short field on every fucking possession, or if McCoy had been given the ball more than 8 times, the result would have been vastly different.  I agree with you that the Vikings had no business winning that game, but I still blame coaching more than anything else.  Which is why I think that may be the Eagles' Achilles heel in the postseason.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »
Except for the Minnesota game the Eagles haven't let anyone score more than 21 points on them in ages.
They also haven't faced any playoff caliber offenses in ages, outside of the Bears. I'd also argue that, based on talent, the Eagles defense has been overachieving lately. Shit, I think they've overachieved (relative to their talent) all year, and that's probably due in no small part to Kelly.

The Eagles are, AFAIK, healthy and playing hot at the right time, but I think they'll fall to any of the elite QBs. Which, outside of the Saints, it appears the NFC playoff picture lacks any quality veteran QBs (barring a playoff return of Good-Cutler or Rodgers).

I just don't see the Eagles as any more than a one-and-done in the playoffs, but they have a bright future with Foles appearing to be a franchise QB, and Kelly having some surprising success adapting his schemes to the NFL.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 25, 2013, 06:40:06 AM »
Except for the Minnesota game the Eagles haven't let anyone score more than 21 points on them in ages.
They also haven't faced any playoff caliber offenses in ages, outside of the Bears.

We just beat Arizona too.  True, they may not make the playoffs, but if they miss it will be by only a hair.  And a lot of those really heavy-hitting offenses out there don't have the best defenses.

Rama Set

« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2013, 07:53:50 AM »
They also haven't faced any playoff caliber offenses in ages, outside of the Bears.

We just beat Arizona too.  True, they may not make the playoffs, but if they miss it will be by only a hair.  And a lot of those really heavy-hitting offenses out there don't have the best defenses.

San Francisco would violate Philadelphia.  Fact.  Great running attack, real weapons in the passing game and a great all-around defense. A team that can run on Philly is going to have a big advantage since they can control time of possession better and not get their defense as tired out playing against that fast-paced Philly attack.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 25, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »

San Francisco would violate Philadelphia.  Fact.  Great running attack, real weapons in the passing game and a great all-around defense. A team that can run on Philly is going to have a big advantage since they can control time of possession better and not get their defense as tired out playing against that fast-paced Philly attack.

I have to disagree at least a little bit.  You seem to be suggesting that the Eagles have a poor rush defense and that is not the case.  They just held Forte to 29 yards (I mean, come on, great running attack, real weapons in the passing game... hello, Chicago?).  They haven't allowed a running back to make over 100 yards since Week 9 against Oakland, who we slaughtered 49-20 (and between RBs and QB they gained over 200 yards rushing against us... sounds like they had a good day on the ground).

Obviously I can only point to games that the Eagles have actually played... I can't say they did this against SF or that against Seattle because they didn't play them, and I won't argue with the obvious fact that they were given an easier schedule than most of this year's playoff teams because of their record last year.  But the Eagles have just been so dominant lately.  They've been very efficient in all three phases of the game.

I'm not coming out and saying that the Eagles are definitely going to the Superbowl but I think they have a great shot at it.  A better shot than most people are willing to give them.  And I'd rather they need to sneak in as a dark horse rather than being considered the team to beat because the latter scenario just always scares me... those teams are unexpectedly taken out (by teams like the Eagles have this year) all the time.

And now I will look like an absolute ass if the Eagles are taken out by the Cowboys this week.  Oh well.  Let me enjoy my team while they're having success.  ;D

« Reply #232 on: December 26, 2013, 02:18:21 AM »

Eh, they're nothing special on offense, but their defense is sexy. I could be wrong on the Eagles, but I see a one and done. I'm rooting for them, however, because I really like Chip Kelly and watching his teams, so I'm rooting for them.

« Reply #233 on: December 26, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
Hull City will draw against Manchester United.
My I.Q. is 85......or was it 58.

I am the stupiderist person on the FES.

THORK IS TERRIBLE.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 28, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »
Michigan +7 against Kansas State tonight.  Book it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 29, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
Michigan +7 against Kansas State tonight.  Book it.

Or, you know, not.

« Reply #236 on: December 29, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »
Fulham didn't do very well.    Hull city 6 ..... Fulham0

THORK IS TERRIBLE.

Rama Set

« Reply #237 on: December 30, 2013, 01:22:13 AM »
AFC Seeds:
1. Denver Broncos
2. New England Patriots
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Kansas City Chiefs
6. San Diego Chargers

NFC Seeds:
1. Seattle Seahawks :(
2. Carolina Panthers
3. Philadelphia
4. Green Bay
5. San Francisco (FTW!)
6. New Orleans Saints

Who wants to start a suicide pool, or some other format?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:44:58 AM by Rama Set »

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 30, 2013, 04:47:11 AM »
Ugh, that was way too exciting.

« Reply #239 on: December 30, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Hull City will draw against Manchester United.
I was wrong.

THORK IS TERRIBLE.