Re: Thread for talking about council nominations.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
A pm was sent strait after I posted that. I'm on it  ;)

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
The only problem is that we have not really defined what the role of the council will be.  I propose that somebody please write up a short statement, maybe just a paragraph, that defines the role and powers of the council, a length of term, and specify what the checks and balances are in order to make sure that their power is kept at a reasonable level.  I propose that the Admins are allowed to veto anything the council decides if it has a 2/3 vote.

We have a list of nominees; however, we have yet to find out how many of these nominees are actually interested in the position.  I think we need to consolidate the list, and allow the nominees to decline or agree to being on the ballot.  This should only take a few days.  Also, nobody really said how many nominations are required in order to get on the ballot.  I will assume 1, unless people object.

In addition, I think we should allow the nominees to give at least one small speech, to allow people to understand their views.  Maybe even a debate or two.  Otherwise, we are voting for them based on their previous posts and it is nothing more than a popularity contest.

In short, I think that people are trying to rush this with out really thinking it through.  At this point, we are basing our votes on the posts from the other site, and we really have nothing more to go on besides that.

Thork

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »
I propose that the Admins are allowed to veto anything the council decides if it has a 2/3 vote.
Nope, the point of the council is that it redresses the balance so the society isn't run by the admins this time. The admins should stay out of council affairs. They have a website to run already.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
We all know the characters we have nominated though. That shouldn't be an issue. The council will have little power at all anyway and details can be discussed with the new council and the forum admins. The first job of the council can be to set the guides for its purpose. I don't think we need to delay this and it will be good to have it for Xmas.
A thread was made for nomination discussions and nobody stated they did not want to be included.

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »
We are also nominating spokes people for the FES who will support it. Not people to run a forum. Forum staff and the council will or should be 2 different entities and should not be so closely related.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
Can I suggest that the first round of council members should be limited to a 6 month term while we work out the details, then?

Thork

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »
Can I suggest that the first round of council members should be limited to a 6 month term while we work out the details, then?
You can suggest it. I don't think we should have a wholesale change of personnel every 6 months though. It should be a more balanced one in one out.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »
OK, how about this for the first round of votes.  The one who gets the most votes gets a full 1 year term, the second person gets a 9 month term, the third person gets a 6 month term, and the fourth and fifth people get a 3 month term.  That way, we constantly have new councilors, but also have an established base.  Maybe do an election every 3 months for those positions that are leaving? 

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
Something like that sounds fair. Need to simplify it though I'd think. I'd say that all members should have to re-elect. I can't see a large change each time tbh. There needs to be a fail safe in place though. With the current system there would be no stopping a load of people joining and electing each other and making a mockery if the FES.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
How about the first election be for a provisional council with a 6 month term and then when the duties and responsibilities become better defined, you can have long term council elections.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »
I would say you need to define the duties and responsibilities now because it should filter down from what the council is for and what it's meant to achieve.

So far all I can see the council doing is to vote members in and out. If that's the case then all it would be is a niche club of the most popular posters. If you're outside the friend club you'll never be represented.

Members of the council shouldn't be allowed to vote who should be on it. The community of the forum should.

Why don't you just put up a complete list of nominations and then conduct a poll.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:08:36 PM by DDDDAts all folks »

Thork

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »
Members of the council shouldn't be allowed to vote who should be on it. The community of the forum should.
Whilst I like the sentiment, and right now its a great way to do it ... when the forum opens up to the world's trolls, our elections are likely to get 4-chaned.

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »
How about the first election be for a provisional council with a 6 month term and then when the duties and responsibilities become better defined, you can have long term council elections.

Yes.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 01:16:30 AM »
Whilst I like the sentiment, and right now its a great way to do it ... when the forum opens up to the world's trolls, our elections are likely to get 4-chaned.

What if you can only vote if you've been a member 6 months after the first election. People who don't know anyone or anything about the society shouldn't have a say
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 01:31:39 AM »
How can that be modified? I wonder if a forum section can be made so only people who have been a member for x amount of months can see it. The votes can take place there.

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »
If there are no objections. I can take the voting to the next phase. Before I'd proceed though I will run things by you all. Tell me to slow down if you like but I prefer actions to words. I have an idea to keep things secret and fair too. Let me know what you think and I can run through the details.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »
If there are no objections. I can take the voting to the next phase. Before I'd proceed though I will run things by you all. Tell me to slow down if you like but I prefer actions to words. I have an idea to keep things secret and fair too. Let me know what you think and I can run through the details.

Please, proceed.

Thork

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »

Please, proceed.
Yeah, crack on. If we stop for every interjection, opinion and postulation, we're never going to hold elections.

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »
Ok. When I get to my computer I will set this up.

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »
I have added a 'poll' in flat earth general as the topic is more suited there.
I could not decide what format to put it in. You will see what I chose to do and I hope it suits everyone. I suggested 3 votes each to avoid ties. There shouldnt be a need to vote for all 5 members anyway, this way you can vote for the best people.
Another idea I was going to run by was to just add up the numbers from the nominations. That also was a reasonable option.
I also didnt submit my own name as votes are coming to me. bit of a shame because I would of liked to of taken part, maybe next time eh.