Should we have a Zetetic Council?

Yes
No

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Zetetic Council
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2013, 10:59:13 PM »
He is the self-proclaimed king of a forum that no one ever visits, Markjo.
Irrelevant.  For some strange reason, you keep thinking that the FES forum is the sum total of the Flat Earth Society.  I have no idea where you got that silly notion.
well there is a wiki ... which we host, FE library ... which we are building, Twitter ... we have that, G+ ... yup. We don't have a podcast once a year or a book that isn't finished but I think we've all the other bases covered.

Tell me, what else is it that Daniel does that is so valuable and unique that only he can do it (or not do it as is his preference)?
I never said that Daniel does anything unique.  I'm just saying that he is the one that brought the FES back to life.  As I recall, Wilmore and John Davis have their own FESes as well.  If you want this to be another FES, then that's fine.  Just don't claim that this is the one and only FES and don't dismiss Daniel's place in FES history.  After all, if it wasn't for Daniel, then there wouldn't be any FES for you to splinter from.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2013, 11:01:22 PM »
I'm just saying that he is the one that brought the FES back to life.
And then subsequently killed it again with his apathy. Now we are trying to bring it back to life. I hope you'll get behind us and stop moping about, saying how terrible we all are.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2013, 11:36:48 PM »
I never said that this site is terrible.  I'm just want to make sure that you figure out how serious you want this new society to be and where you want it to fit in the grand scheme of flat earth-kind.  Is there going to be any serious FET research and discussion or is it just going to be another site to troll angry noobs?  If the former, then great.  If the latter, then what's the point?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2013, 12:13:59 AM »
He is the self-proclaimed king of a forum that no one ever visits, Markjo.
Irrelevant.  For some strange reason, you keep thinking that the FES forum is the sum total of the Flat Earth Society.  I have no idea where you got that silly notion.
well there is a wiki ... which we host, FE library ... which we are building, Twitter ... we have that, G+ ... yup. We don't have a podcast once a year or a book that isn't finished but I think we've all the other bases covered.

Tell me, what else is it that Daniel does that is so valuable and unique that only he can do it (or not do it as is his preference)?
Interviews.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »
Anyone can be interviewed. Willmore for example has.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »
I never said that Daniel does anything unique.  I'm just saying that he is the one that brought the FES back to life.  As I recall, Wilmore and John Davis have their own FESes as well.  If you want this to be another FES, then that's fine.  Just don't claim that this is the one and only FES and don't dismiss Daniel's place in FES history.  After all, if it wasn't for Daniel, then there wouldn't be any FES for you to splinter from.

Daniel hasn't done anything to build the community, it was all us. His place in FES history has been to sell some tshirt, disappear for months at a time, and copy-paste some old articles from the previous society onto his website, which he calls his "research".

Never once has he engaged in debate in the upper forums. He has not given his opinion on any aspect of the Flat Earth model. In his "Flat Earth Society" podcast neither the topic of a Flat Earth or the Flat Earth Society are discussed.

A president of the Flat Earth Society must engage in the subject matter.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:33:36 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2013, 04:17:28 AM »
Two things.  First, I think we need to, at least in a rough way, define what the role of the Zetetic Council members is to start with.

Second, I think we should discuss a length of term.  Will they run for reelection bi-annually, annually, or maybe it is an appointment for life? 

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2013, 04:35:19 AM »
Should be for life unless the council decide to replace them or they are no longer active or want to resign. My opinion of course :)

Thork

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2013, 07:22:08 PM »
Should be for life unless the council decide to replace them or they are no longer active or want to resign. My opinion of course :)
Frankly I'd probably stand down afer a few months to let someone with new ideas and new energy take the reigns and get moar stuff done. I think a turnover of sorts is important. How we get that of course ... I'm not sure.

Thork

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »
They could have terms, and that way we would have a turnover system.
Sure. I don't think we want a full change everytime though. One in one out would give stability to on-going projects.

Thork

« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
I'm so busy in the next week. I have to impersonate santa for charity several nights a week and I'm gonna try to have sex with business woman and my family visit over xmas and basically I'm not gonna be around so much in the next couple of weeks.

Can someone else run with this and get us nominating and voting?