update the home page
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »
Title says it all. Looks sloppy having a 'news' that was relevant 8 months ago.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: update the home page
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:51:31 AM »
I would be happy to update the home page if someone wants to write something for it. At the moment, I have neither the idea nor the time for a new post.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:54:05 AM »
I would be happy to update the home page if someone wants to write something for it. At the moment, I have neither the idea nor the time for a new post.

We could write a post about reunification talks, if you and PP think we're ready to do such a thing. We could also write something about the various technical improvements that have been made to the site. I can help with (or just straightup do) the first, but I don't know enough about the background details to do much the the second.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:06:06 AM »
I don't mind writing something.  I can't at the moment, but I could have something in the next 10 hours or so.  Maybe people could make recommendations, and I could put it together? 

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 03:14:39 AM »
We don't have to have a news section at all.  We could simply replace it with a generic sort of "Welcome..." greeting.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
I think monthly-ish updates would be beneficial.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Thork

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »
Seems kinda pointless if we are going to merge and Daniel wants to keep his home page.

This whole merging thing has just ensured we don't do anything else to improve. Its very tedious.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »
Keep your negativity to yourself thork. That post was out of date way before that.

Why not tie it into some of the nice images that get posted on Facebook when they are posted?
Have a historical spotlight when there's nothing to add. Maybe a little bit from ENaG?
A spotlight on a wiki page? Highlight most interesting sections?

Somebody post some shirt ideas already too. That's good news. Maybe a competition for designs? Best one gets printed and they get a free copy?

The nice images that are posted on Facebook can be on the home page with a download for your wallpaper?

What about some spoof news? Tasteful ones with light humor. Lets not accuse palistine bombings for coving a flat earth conspiracy!

Post YouTube videos that are about FET?

I feel this should be something the council should of been doing already. What do they even do?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:17:10 AM »
Seems kinda pointless if we are going to merge and Daniel wants to keep his home page.

This whole merging thing has just ensured we don't do anything else to improve. Its very tedious.
Who is to say that some home page content here can't be worked into Daniel's home page?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:22:33 AM »
Who is to say that some home page content here can't be worked into Daniel's home page?
Daniel said he'd be more than happy to have some sort of community blog on the post-reunification home page, so if people want to contribute, the option should be there.

That said, reunification may take quite a while, and it's still not completely guaranteed that it will happen. It probably will, but it might not. In the meantime, there is no reason to halt progress here. We're more than happy to update the homepage, but neither Parsifal nor I know what to write. Parsifal has previously asked if anyone would be willing to contribute, and the usual response is a couple of people saying they'll give it a whirl and then not getting back to it.

I'm thinking about setting up a media page on the homepage with stuff like wallpapers (we have at least 2 designs hanging around, potentially more), various versions of the logo in case anyone from outside the society wants to use it to refer to us, etc. I've had a very emotionally taxing week, so I'm finding it difficult to get myself to work on things right now, but I'll do this at some point soon. If anyone has material or ideas to contribute to that, drop me a PM. Also, if anyone would like to write a new blog post or just a generic "welcome!" blurb to replace the news section, feel free to either drop it here or PM me.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 11:27:24 PM »

"Scientific community agrees earth is flat"

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 05:02:40 AM »
I wonder if this will actually happen for 2015 now?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 06:28:38 AM »
I wonder if this will actually happen for 2015 now?

Feel free to write an article, and I'll publish it.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
The only alternative to someone writing an article (note: It won't be me, and it probably won't be Parsifal. It's simply not out thing. If you want articles, write articles.) would be to make the homepage simply output our Facebook feed, which I manage with some success. That said, if we do that, I would still expect external contributions. If you come here infrequently just to say "hey why don't we have articles???" then please stop doing that.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »
I think it would be appropriate to mirror the Facebook feed unless somebody produces something of better interest. A homepage that is now a year out of date just looks like something for former site would do.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 10:19:32 PM »
Let's write an announcement about the annotated ENaG for the homepage. I can write that if we want. Just give me more solid idea of exactly what we're doing and how.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 12:35:05 AM »
A new year brings renewed hope.

This time last year, the society split leaving a tear in it's fabric that few thought would heal.  But today, exactly 1 year later, we're poised to repair that tapestry and bring the society back to it's full glory.  Only this time, we'll be bringing the best of both worlds into the mix.  The administration and technical services of Parsifal and PizzaPlanet will compliment the large and energetic member base to create a stable place to discuss the flat earth.  Far more stable than the evidence NASA has presented.

----------
Or something like that.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 01:39:57 AM »
Junker is an admin too

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »
Here's a short article for the homepage.  Someone might wanna spell check that.  Also, links.

Welcome to the the Future! (2015 that is)

It's 2015 and the future sure feels great!  Lots of new and exciting things are happening at the Flat Earth Society as we herald in the new year.  In 2014 great strides were taken in the advancement of flat-earth theory through discussion, debate, and experimentation.  Our "global" cause is as strong and proud as ever.

2014 also marked the sesquicentennial of Samuel Rowbotham's masterpiece, Earth, Not a globe;  a book that quite literally reshaped the world.  The stones of knowledge laid flat by that book illustrated the instructions on which we built towers of learning.

In more humble news, 2015 looks to be the year of unification for the world's two most influential Flat Earth Societies.  Our society, tfes.org, will be bringing our larger member base to the older and more well-known theflatearthsociety.org.  The merging of these two respected bastions of learning would never have happened without the diligent work done in 2014.

Whether our members live rimward or hubward, we all look forward to the exciting challenges and accomplishments that 2015 will bring to The Flat Earth Society. 

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 06:34:15 AM »
Offered without malice or expectation, here are what I might mark up if you asked me to edit the article.

Welcome to the the Future! (2015 that is.)

It's 2015, and the future sure feels great!  Lots of new and exciting things are happening at the Flat Earth Society, as we herald in the new year.  In 2014 we took great strides were taken in the advancement of flat- earth theory through discussion, debate, and experimentation.  Our "global" cause is continues as strong and proud as ever.

2014 also marked the sesquicentennial of Samuel Rowbotham's masterpiece, Earth, Not a globeGlobe;,  a book that quite literally reshaped the world.  That book laid flat the cobblestones (or cornerstones)The stones of knowledge laid flat by that book illustrated, illustrating the instructions on which we built towers of learning.

In more humble humbler news, 2015 looks to be the year of unification for the world's two most influential Flat Earth Societies.  Our society, tfes.org, will be bringing our larger member base to the older and more well-known better known theflatearthsociety.org.  The merging of these two respected bastions of learning would never have happened without the diligent work done in 2014.

Whether our members live living rimward or hubward, we all look forward to the exciting challenges and accomplishments that 2015 will bring to The Flat Earth Society.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.