Re: Are flat-heads willing to admit that they are wrong?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
..and why isn't the FE side "winning" a single thread in the Debate forum?

Scrolling through pages after pages of the forum, I see the remains of many great threads that utterly destroy the FE myth. In most of them all the FE questions, misunderstandings, and objections have been addressed. I get that there are only a few flat-heads left here to reply to forum posts, and we're all very grateful for your efforts, but you'd at least hope to see some threads where the RE side is losing...
It's very ignorant for you to even say we lost most. Threads that have been utterly destroyed? You mean threads like a bridge that proves the curvature of the Earth? (Debunked). I mean we have threads like the one in my Signature down below that literally takes the studies of a round-head called Eratosthenes and literally use his "Circumference math" to prove the flat earth. (I recommend reading it)
Such a shame that, as discussed every time Eratosthenes comes up, if you take measurements from any other point, you get different results for the height of the sun. Not to mention that, every time, it's pointed out his experiment by itself proves nothing either way. But I suppose you like to count what amounts to a draw as a win then? Cool.

Offline Spycrab

• Wait what's going on I fell asleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 04:40:58 PM »
We speak of 'winning' debates, but really no minds will be changed, by and large. The RE masses will stay ignorant, the FE truthers will stay ignorant as well. We're all too stuck in our beliefs and closed minded to the other side because "they're all idiots. Look at the proof it's obvious we're correct!". So no, flat heads are not admitting they're wrong. Nor are round heads.
However, having a dissenting opinion is good, as it prevents an echo chamber.
Look at the new wave feminism (it is not actually feminism, the values are very different, real feminism is actually quite respectable). They're all about echo chambers, and they've got all sorts of crazy ideas, because no one is there to give them a reality check. They're talking about how "men are pigs and don't have emotions besides uncontrllable rapist lust and all attempts at romance are just weakening the woman's guard so they can rape them, and all men need to be euthanized immeditely" etc. It's untrue, but no one's there to stop them.
Keep it real my flat dudes.

Fun fact: some quick online shopping can get you a high altitude balloon and a wireless camcorder for less than $160. Prove those round/flat earthers wrong for less!
The espionage crustacean strikes again.
Spycrab, you're the best memeber on the fora. Thank you for being born.

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 04:45:29 PM »
We've won like 80% of them. But for ignorant round-heads like you, you guys just end up quitting the debate in frustration.
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. How about this: you can list threads where the flatties won. For each one, I'll try to find another thread where the round-heads won.
People like you kill my braincells
What? I was inviting you to back up your statement, what's wrong with that?

In fact, I'll go first: https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=9402.0
Recommended reading: We Have No Idea by Jorge Cham and Daniel Whiteson

Turtle Town, a game made by my brothers and their friends, is now in private beta for the demo! Feedback so far has been mostly positive. Contact me if you would like to play.

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 12:53:31 AM »

Scrolling through pages after pages of the forum, I see the remains of many great threads that utterly destroy the FE myth. In most of them all the FE questions, misunderstandings, and objections have been addressed. I get that there are only a few flat-heads left here to reply to forum posts, and we're all very grateful for your efforts, but you'd at least hope to see some threads where the RE side is losing...
It's very ignorant for you to even say we lost most. Threads that have been utterly destroyed? You mean threads like a bridge that proves the curvature of the Earth? (Debunked). I mean we have threads like the one in my Signature down below that literally takes the studies of a round-head called Eratosthenes and literally use his "Circumference math" to prove the flat earth. (I recommend reading it)

But the ones where i have asked questions have been mostly ignored by the FEers, such as the magnetism of the earth, the one on why do we see only half of the sun at sunrise or sunsets, the measuring of the angle of dip by a practical means, the examination of the distances quoted in Enag, using airline miles for measuring distances, the movement of heavenly bodies, to name a few.
Each one the FEers have left the debate, or just refused to engage, as they had no answers to the Empirical evidence, experiences, and observatiuons.

If you believe running away is winning, good luck!

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.

Offline SiDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 03:10:11 AM »
The only way debates with FE's end is "pfft you RE'ers always use science", or "i can explain that with celestial gravitation or magnetism" or other such complete guesses with absolutely no evidence in the slightest. There's is literally nothing a FE has ever said that doesn't have an answer which can be backed up by copious amount of research, observational evidence, or just plain common sense. When a RE says something a FE can't explain, they just quote a complete guess from some idiot from history and claim no need, desire, or funds to provide evidence. And if that thing is questioned, then the response is just "yeah well i dont know exactly how it works but that's obviously how it works". It's just an intense need to feel superior in knowing something that the rest of the world is apparently "too stupid" to understand. I wonder if the flat earth actually DID take over and become the consensus model (ha!) then these people would have to deny it again and find some OTHER thing to believe in that no one else does.

Take centrifugal force for example... This is not up for debate: the formulas for calculating that are very simple, and very easy to test. Yet i've never heard one flat earther say "oh yeah true, the centrifugal force at the equator is only a fraction of the thing you call gravity". We call this a "debate" but we're often talking about things that are completely NOT open to debate... It's like showing someone an apple and having someone say "yep, nup, that's not an apple". Very frustrating.
Quote from: Round Eyes
Long range, high altitude, potentially solar powered airplanes [...] If the planes are travelling approx 15 miles about earth, that works out to around 2,200 mph, or Mach 3

Offline hexagon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 07:29:25 AM »
The problem of the "debate" is inherent, you have to fail to explain something that is in contradiction to reality. From a physics point of view the only interest of discussing such an idea as the flat earth would be to take this as a gedankenexperiment and to build an alternative theoretical framework around this. This could be quite challenging and entertaining, but also for that you would need at least basic understanding of physics, which is almost never existent on the side of the flat earth believers. And I never so any kind of coherence in their explanations. In the best case they can focus on a single observation and give a kind of alternative explanation for it, but then they need a contradicting explanation for something else. Best example are maybe the maps. The monopole and the duopole models can explain very different different things, but are inherently contradicting each other. 

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 07:52:49 AM »

But the ones where i have asked questions have been mostly ignored by the FEers, such as the magnetism of the earth, the one on why do we see only half of the sun at sunrise or sunsets, the measuring of the angle of dip by a practical means, the examination of the distances quoted in Enag, using airline miles for measuring distances, the movement of heavenly bodies, to name a few.
Each one the FEers have left the debate, or just refused to engage, as they had no answers to the Empirical evidence, experiences, and observatiuons.

If you believe running away is winning, good luck!

Another one is "This has been fully explained on earlier threads. I'm so tired having to go over it again and again." You go to look at the explanation and it's gibberish.

I'm sure that the FE proponents think that their nonsense about "Celestial perspective" is an explanation for the disappearance of the Sun behind the horizon, and that they've actually explained something. That's why there's no actual arguing going on here. A combination of assertion of things that simply don't exist, and denial of observations beyond reasonable doubt don't leave any room for discussion.

kasai

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
We've won like 80% of them. But for ignorant round-heads like you, you guys just end up quitting the debate in frustration.
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. How about this: you can list threads where the flatties won. For each one, I'll try to find another thread where the round-heads won.

Dude the SpaceX footage is fake it doesn't take a flat earther to realize it either, as long as your ignorance doesn't the best of you, you'd realize how fake the SpaceX footage is, so that thread isn't one that you can say is a winning round earther thread.

kasai

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »

Such a shame that, as discussed every time Eratosthenes comes up, if you take measurements from any other point, you get different results for the height of the sun. Not to mention that, every time, it's pointed out his experiment by itself proves nothing either way. But I suppose you like to count what amounts to a draw as a win then? Cool.
You clearly didn't read my thread... I use his exact measurements to prove flat earth.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »

You clearly didn't read my thread... I use his exact measurements to prove flat earth.

Your evidence was faked, that is obvious.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

kasai

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »
I'm starting to think alot of Round Heads are Liberals, no wonder most of them sound stupid.

kasai

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »

My Evidence was fake? Go back and watch the SpaceX stream. Clearly not my evidence, SpaceX provided the evidence for me to prove that fake stream.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 07:19:50 PM »
I'm starting to think alot of Round Heads are Liberals ...

Only the American ones?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 07:25:42 PM »

Dude the SpaceX footage is fake it doesn't take a flat earther to realize it either, as long as your ignorance doesn't the best of you, you'd realize how fake the SpaceX footage is, so that thread isn't one that you can say is a winning round earther thread.
Believe what you will, the thread went like this:

FE claims it was faked.
RE presses for evidence proving that claim.
FE repeats their assertion without really responding to RE's request.

You want to say that it's a loss for RE? Then give evidence.

Turtle Town, a game made by my brothers and their friends, is now in private beta for the demo! Feedback so far has been mostly positive. Contact me if you would like to play.

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 07:29:40 PM »

I participated in your thread. As well as about a half dozen others that discuss his measurements, and others. His measurements alone do not prove a round or a flat Earth. Period. They can give you A) The approximate circumference of a round Earth or B) The approximate height of the sun on a flat Earth. They prove nothing by themselves either way. However, if you take measurements from other locations and apply the same math, you come up with quite a variable array of sun heights. However the circumference doesn't change. So take your pick.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »

My Evidence was fake? Go back and watch the SpaceX stream. Clearly not my evidence, SpaceX provided the evidence for me to prove that fake stream.
Guess what: I've seen their stream, and I can definitely say that if there is evidence in the stream, it's not obvious. If you want me to scrutinize it, give me a place in the video to start with.

Oh, and I have Astronomy Club in twenty minutes, so as an avid Kerbal Space Program player I say: bring it.

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm starting to think a lot of Round Heads are Liberals, no wonder most of them sound stupid.

The people who accept that the Earth is not flat include liberals, conservatives, fascists, communists, nationalists, the apolitical, the very clever, the not clever at all, men, women, children and probably most dolphins. Flat Earth, though it gets a lot of publicity, remains a fringe belief even among fringe beliefs.

Offline SiDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 02:09:57 AM »
I'm starting to think alot of Round Heads are Liberals, no wonder most of them sound stupid.
Liberals usually make rational decisions based on evidence. Conservatives usually make decisions on fear or adversity to change (hence the need to "conserve")

On the other hand, some times liberals make decisions purely based on empathy, and conservatives some times make decisions based on economics.

So basically, liberals are generally smarter but occasionally make decisions based on emotions, and conservatives are generally stupid but occasionally make decisions based on practicality. But hey that's another HUGE debate...
Quote from: Round Eyes
Long range, high altitude, potentially solar powered airplanes [...] If the planes are travelling approx 15 miles about earth, that works out to around 2,200 mph, or Mach 3

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »

Yes it was fake
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 04:50:17 PM »
Dude the SpaceX footage is fake ...

Which footage? The Falcon Heavy / Tesla? Something else?
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?