Offline Parallax

• Disciple of Dr Rowbotham
    • View Profile
Question for round earthers
« on: March 28, 2018, 09:51:19 PM »
Okay, so all you round earthers, I have a question. Say for arguments sake the earth is a globe, and you have the northern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere. Take Britain, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Now Britain and Canada are pointing upwards, right? Whereas the Aussies and kiwis are pointing down, since they are underneath the ball, correct? So using that logic, if you are in Britain and Canada, then since they are on top of the ball, the earth is the floor and the sky is the ceiling. On the flip side, since the other two are on the underside of the ball, that means the floor becomes the ceiling and the ceiling becomes the floor. In other words, the ceiling is the earth and the floor is the sky. So my question to you is simple. Since they are upside down and standing on the ceiling, why don't they fall into the sky?

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
Re: Question for round earthers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
Okay, so all you round earthers, I have a question. Say for arguments sake the earth is a globe, and you have the northern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere. Take Britain, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Now Britain and Canada are pointing upwards, right? Whereas the Aussies and kiwis are pointing down, since they are underneath the ball, correct? So using that logic, if you are in Britain and Canada, then since they are on top of the ball, the earth is the floor and the sky is the ceiling. On the flip side, since the other two are on the underside of the ball, that means the floor becomes the ceiling and the ceiling becomes the floor. In other words, the ceiling is the earth and the floor is the sky. So my question to you is simple. Since they are upside down and standing on the ceiling, why don't they fall into the sky?

Gravity?

I can also assure you that the ground is, in fact, the floor in the southern hemisphere.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:01:33 PM »
Are you asking me or telling me? And if the ground is the floor, then they are upside down. And instead of building upwards, they are in fact building downwards.

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »
Are you asking me or telling me? And if the ground is the floor, then they are upside down. And instead of building upwards, they are in fact building downwards.

There is no way you aren't trolling. Get out of here.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »
I'm not. If they are underneath the ball, they are pointing downwards. So logically if they build something upwards it is, in fact, being built downwards. I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »
I'm not. If they are underneath the ball, they are pointing downwards. So logically if they build something upwards it is, in fact, being built downwards. I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend

What's difficult to understand is how poorly you understand the concepts of "up" and "down."

They are relative to your current position.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »

Dude. Come on!
The force of gravity is acting towards the centre of the globe earth. There is no "up" or "down" on a globe other than from your frame of reference.
You are standing on earth, the sky is above you so that is "up", you dig a hole beneath you so that is "down".
The notion that north is thought of as "up" and the south is "down" is just convention.
Someone in the southern hemisphere is held to the ground the same way you are.
If what you're saying were how things worked then only people in or near the North Pole would stay on, everyone else would be clinging on for dear life.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:26:40 PM »
Of course. What I am saying is that as they are underneath the ball, they are upside down. You still haven't answered my original question.

Offline stanlee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:27:35 PM »
tall buildings in australia are anchored to the ground by steel and cement blocks.
this design happens to work well in supporting canadian buildings at the base under compression

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 10:27:54 PM »
Of course. What I am saying is that as they are underneath the ball, they are upside down. You still haven't answered my original question.
From your point of view they are upside down.
From their point of view YOU are upside down.
Because Up and Down are relative to your frame of reference. Like left and right.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline stanlee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 10:34:24 PM »
you can see what happens when marquees in australia lose some stakes

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »
From your point of view they are upside down.
From their point of view YOU are upside down.
Because Up and Down are relative to your frame of reference. Like left and right.
Well nobody is upside down I'm just using it as an example of how absurd the ball earth claim is. And my original question still stands.
you can see what happens when marquees in australia lose some stakes

That... Is basically what a ball earth would involve.

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 10:42:20 PM »
This one can't be anything other than a troll. There's no way.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 10:51:39 PM »
This one can't be anything other than a troll. There's no way.
Agreed. I think I'm done here.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 10:56:27 PM »
Not really trolling, it's a sincere question. And I'm not the first to pose it, there's lots of flat earth scholars that have questioned it too. That pic is routinely used in YouTube bids to demonstrate the point, for example.

Offline stanlee

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 11:22:45 PM »
why does an apple fall?

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 12:05:37 AM »
Not really trolling, it's a sincere question. And I'm not the first to pose it, there's lots of flat earth scholars that have questioned it too. That pic is routinely used in YouTube bids to demonstrate the point, for example.
All it demonstrates is a lack of understanding of how frame of reference and gravity work on a sphere such as the Earth. If you are sincerely asking the question, visit a physics forum or similar, and see if they will go in depth with you. Or take some physics classes at your local college. Both will give you a far better and more in depth approach to this information.

Offline Spycrab

• Wait what's going on I fell asleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 02:38:08 AM »
Let's get this over with.

Indeed, relative to you, they are upside down, their buildings go down, their planes fly under them, their subways ride over them. However, from their perspective, you are upside down. Their 'down' is just as good as your 'down', but you're not falling 'down' because their 'down' is your 'up'. Gravity isn't down in one direction, it holds everything towards the center of mass, e.g. the center of the earth. Since the earth is very massive, the force of gravity is very strong, so we're pulled pretty hard. 9.8m/s/s which is pretty fast. until you can reach escape velocity (11.2km/s), no one's falling anywhere.

The espionage crustacean strikes again.
Spycrab, you're the best memeber on the fora. Thank you for being born.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 08:07:41 AM »
Not really trolling, it's a sincere question. And I'm not the first to pose it, there's lots of flat earth scholars that have questioned it too.
I'd suggest that if they are questioning it then calling them "scholars" is kind, to say the least.
As I've explained, "Up" and "Down" are like "Left" and "Right", they are relative to your frame of reference.
To you, Australians might seem upside down, but to them YOU seem upside down.
For both of you "down" is "towards the centre of the earth and that is what the force of gravity is pulling you towards.
That's what keeps you and the Sydney Opera House on the ground.

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »
Not really trolling, it's a sincere question. And I'm not the first to pose it, there's lots of flat earth scholars that have questioned it too.
I'd suggest that if they are questioning it then calling them "scholars" is kind, to say the least.
As I've explained, "Up" and "Down" are like "Left" and "Right", they are relative to your frame of reference.
To you, Australians might seem upside down, but to them YOU seem upside down.
For both of you "down" is "towards the centre of the earth and that is what the force of gravity is pulling you towards.
That's what keeps you and the Sydney Opera House on the ground.
I get what you are saying about up and down. However, I find it difficult to believe that we are kept on a ball by gravity. Don't get me wrong, I believe in gravity (even Dr Rowbotham did), however there's no evidence to suggest that gravity pulls the planet into a ball. Gravity therefore would have to come from the centre to pull the edges, but instead it's all across the planet, therefore cannot possibly pull the earth into a ball. If it did, the spirit level d marble took on the plane would have moved, yet move it did not.