Saddam Hussein

Re: Community
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »
Also, there was a lot of really bad gross-out humor.  Maybe this is just a personal thing, but I've never liked gross-out humor.  In terms of comedic integrity, it's one step above fart jokes.

Ugh.  You must be one of those people who never understood why others around you were laughing hysterically at the fart scene in Blazing Saddles.

"This isn't funny!  There's no comedic integrity in this!"

The fart scene in Blazing Saddles is funny precisely because of how utterly stupid it is.  Fart jokes are inherently dumb, lazy humor.  They require no context, no transition, no special timing, etc.  In this day and age, the best way to make a fart joke funny is to play off their (well-earned) reputation, which is exactly what Brooks did by making the farting the centerpiece of an overlong scene.  If the fart jokes were treated like any other joke, just quickly coming and going without any special treatment, they wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Rama Set

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »
The fart scene in Blazing Saddles is funny precisely because of how utterly stupid it is.  Fart jokes are inherently dumb, lazy humor.  They require no context, no transition, no special timing, etc.

This...

If the fart jokes were treated like any other joke, just quickly coming and going without any special treatment, they wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Does not jive with this.

On the one hand you are saying they require nothing special, but then on the other you are saying if they are treated like an ordinary joke they do not work.  Sounds like you  are saying you have to do something special with them to work.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2014, 02:34:50 AM »
The fart scene in Blazing Saddles is funny precisely because of how utterly stupid it is.  Fart jokes are inherently dumb, lazy humor.  They require no context, no transition, no special timing, etc.

This...

If the fart jokes were treated like any other joke, just quickly coming and going without any special treatment, they wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Does not jive with this.

On the one hand you are saying they require nothing special, but then on the other you are saying if they are treated like an ordinary joke they do not work.  Sounds like you  are saying you have to do something special with them to work.

Which is literally true with any overly used and cliched comedy trope, whether it's gross-out or not.  Hell, it's true of comedy, period.  It's the sense of the unexpected that makes something funny; if it's been done before, and especially if it's been done many times before, you have to put a new spin on it or it is stale and not funny.  It's the reason why a (legendary gross-out) joke like the Aristocrats can be funny after seeing it told dozens of times within two hours.  In many ways comedy is all about putting a fresh spin on an old joke.

Assuming it was the canisters of semen that offended Saddam's sense of comedic integrity, I can honestly say that I've never seen semen used in quite that way.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2014, 05:04:31 AM »
So, episode 5. The ending was pretty touching, but I didn't really care for the lava game joke.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2014, 02:47:30 AM »

This...

Does not jive with this.

What I mean is that nothing special is required to make the joke in and of itself.  A fart joke in its most basic form is simply a farting noise.  Anyone can do that at any time.  For a fart joke to rise above being a cheap gag, then yes, it does need something special, like some awareness of how bad those jokes usually are.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
I thought episode four was funny as hell. Obviously, as it has been said, it wasn't new or innovative, but I lol'd at least 3 times watching it by myself. I thought the whole sperm bit was hilarious.

"To you Jeff, I leave this fine scotch... So that your less tempted to drink this cylinder of even finer sperm."

I can't help it. I thought that was the funniest thing this season.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
hahaha sperm they said a naughty word so funny

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
sodoom

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2014, 06:24:53 PM »
my humor is so sophisticate why are these plebs watching my show
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
Remember the monkey?!? They called it "Annie's boobs"!! omg I'm dying.. Like Annie, the character.. Her BOOBS aaaaaahahahaha

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2014, 01:35:07 AM »
So...remember when Abed talked about being an extra on Cougar Town for one episode? And how he pooped himself and ran off-set during the take he was in?

...well...guess what

best. easter egg. ever.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2014, 01:36:55 AM »
Fuckin' old.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 01:55:46 AM »
Some of us don't watch Cougar Town

Also balkno doesn't enjoy things.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:24 AM »
If I don't enjoy things, how did I know about this when you didn't?

Checkmate, atheists.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2014, 02:13:37 AM »
So...remember when Abed talked about being an extra on Cougar Town for one episode? And how he pooped himself and ran off-set during the take he was in?

...well...guess what

best. easter egg. ever.

You only just found out about this?

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2014, 02:19:01 AM »
WOW SNUPES I ALREADY KNEW THAT HOW DARE YOU CONSIDER POSTING SOMETHING I ALREADY KNEW AND WASTING MY TIME FUCK YOU SNUPES
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »
If I don't enjoy things, how did I know about this when you didn't?

Checkmate, atheists.

that doesnt' even make sense, where is enjoying anything required as a prerequisite for anything in this example

You only just found out about this?

I don't follow Community fan-forums or Reddits or watch Cougar Town like you guys do. >:[ If it wasn't posted in the FES Community thread, I can't have seen it.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
I never saw it before Snupes. Thanks for posting.

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2014, 02:31:13 AM »
This episode was good but had far too much crammed into it. Nathan Fillion didn't do anything, and they brought whatsername back just to please the fans.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 02:40:47 AM »
I thought that episode was awesome. The little easter egg about Troy was cool too, I hope the rest of the episodes kind of chronicle what he's doing like that. :D

I was a little disappointed with Abed's end turnout there, I was hoping (highlight for spoiler): the girl would have faked the 'spoiler' and told Abed afterwards since Britta couldn't understand her anyway, 'cause I've never particularly felt anything towards that girl he ended up having dinner with.