Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
Epistemological Implications of Zetecism
« on: April 21, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »
This post is an effort to learn more about the operative foundations of zeteticism.

Assumptions
  • zetetics believe objective truth exists
  • zetetics want to believe that which is true
  • absolute truth is unverifiable, but truth to a reasonable standard is attainable - though perhaps evolving

The epistemological nuance of this post is: by what objective standard is evidence assessed?

In previous discussions, it was stated that zetetic inquiry does not insist on a display of the process by which evidence, information, experiment, or conclusion was attained. Apparently this is to avoid bias in future independent efforts to acquire personal truth.

As we know, the most reliable (presently known) method for removing bias is the scientific method, which operates under the stress of transparency.

In this sense, I perceive zeteticism as a rebuttal - a comment - which says: the very act of transparency seeds the independent inquirer with confirmation bias, and hence is faulty.

Thus, I seek to discuss and better understand the following:

1. What is zeteticism’s position on the double blind process, as it seems to atone for this rebuttal?

2. How does objective truth become verified? We know that personal investigation is necessarily flawed because our senses are biased. Hence, my zetetic truth need not align with yours, and presently I can identify no mechanism by which a resolution is attained.

As always, any misrepresentation of zetecism in this post is my own and unintentional. And correction to misrepresentation is highly desired and appreciated in advance. Zeteticism is interesting, and I seek to learn.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:52:54 PM by QED »
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior