Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
Thoughts on Early Christian Cosmography
« on: April 17, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »
Having discovered (from a Russian Old Believer source) a sketch of a flat earth with Slavonic lettering and features identical to those of Cosmas Indicopleustes, I'm interested to trace the history of how this tradition has apparently been preserved by some Old Believers as well as specifically how it passed from Byzantium to Russia in the first place.

Considering that in the ninth century Patriarch Photios wrote condescendingly of Cosmas Indicopleustes's book, I reckoned it would only help to distinguish where and among which schools of thought within Byzantium that Christian flat earth tradition persevered because flat earth was obviously no longer universal in Christendom after the followers of Muhammed revived many of the Greek writers.

The fact that Cosmas himself quotes many Nestorian writers and also that Nestorius's mentor Theodore of Mopsuestia was apparently a flat earth advocate suggests that Nestorianism picked up on the flat earth doctrine similar to the way that Seventh Day Adventists were particularly attracted to  Rowbotham's movement in the nineteenth century.

Some writers (apparently beginning with Winstedt circa 1903) have erroneously assumed that Cosmas was a Nestorian because he quoted some of them on purely scientific matters, but they ignore that Cosmas explicitly calls the Virgin Mary the Mother of God which is something that Nestorians do not believe. He also resided at Saint Catherine's monastery in Sinai which is Orthodox (i.e. Chalcedonian) and not Nestorian. 

Charles Johnson's friend Robert Schadewald thought that Syria in particular was a bastion of preservation of early Christian flat earth doctrine. It had a lot of Nestorians, and Orthodox Christians in Syria at the time apparently agreed with these scientific ideas even if not the theology of the Nestorians. John Chrysostom who wrote against the antipodes was from Antioch.

More to the point, a short and very explicit flat earth treatise attributed to Saint Dionysios the Areopagite (the Athenian disciple of Saint Paul from Acts chapter 17) survives only in the Syriac language.

Based upon what appears to be the historical trend of other ancient Christian traditions, my thesis is that Christian flat earth doctrine was universal prior to Muhammad. For example, Dionysios the Areopagite was Greek, Lactantius was from what is now Algeria. Saint Jerome was from Bethlehem in Palestine. Cosmas Indicopleustes was Egytian, et cetera.

After Muhammad, Christian flat earth tradition declined, and Syria became the bastion of its preservation. After the Crusades, flat earth Christian tradition also found sanctuary in Russia along with the rest of the Orthodox Christian tradition.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Early Christian Cosmography
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 11:39:57 AM »
'Cosmological Tract'
By Dionysios the Areopagite
(translated to English from Syriac)
http://www.sacred-texts.com/journals/jras/1917-07.htm

I reject the translator's assumption that the Dionysios of Acts 17 is not the author of this tract as well as many opinions expressed in his highly opinionated introduction to this treatise, but the translation is definitely worthwhile. The content about the biblical cosmos is very succinct about things like what is underneath the earth and the storehouses of the winds.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »
I confess I have not deeply investigated Theodore of Mopsuestia. I assume he believed the earth was flat because he held the view that the four rivers flowing west from the garden of Eden mentioned in Genesis proceeded underground and resurfaced as the origins of the Tigris, Euphrates, Ganges, and Nile - not to mention distributaries of these four underground rivers.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 07:17:59 PM »
I confess I have not deeply investigated Theodore of Mopsuestia.

That makes two of....aww, who am I kidding?  That makes ALL of us.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice