Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Source: https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/scienceandhealth/2019/07/7-of-brazilians-believe-that-earth-is-flat.shtml

Archive links:

Another reassuring insight into the growth of the Flat Earth Theory worldwide. In line with similar studies from other countries, a Datafolha Institute survey found that approximately 7% of the population of Brazil now follow some flavour of the Flat Earth Theory.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:39:09 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Re: 7% of Brazilians Believe that Earth Is Flat - Folha de S.Paulo
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »
Source: https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/scienceandhealth/2019/07/7-of-brazilians-believe-that-earth-is-flat.shtml

Archive links:

Another reassuring insight into the growth of the Flat Earth Theory worldwide. In line with similar studies from other countries, a Datafolha Institute survey found that approximately 7% of the population of Brazil now follow some flavour of the Flat Earth Theory.

I do not want to be rude in any way, but it is pertinent to point out that Brazil has one of the largest shares of adults without upper secondary education in the world. It might be a correlation here.....maybe?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 12:34:25 PM »
I do not want to be rude in any way, but it is pertinent to point out that Brazil has one of the largest shares of adults without upper secondary education in the world. It might be a correlation here.....maybe?
Given that the article already provides a breakdown of percentages per level of education, your comment is not rude, but simply useless.

A bit of reading comprehension would also have gone a long way - as I pointed out (and as the article cited also states), these results are in line with other similar studies from other parts of the world. You need multiple data points to propose a correlation, and you clearly didn't bother actually looking into the subject.

Might it be that you forgot to read the article prior to responding?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:36:24 PM by Pete Svarrior »

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »
Given that the article already provides a breakdown of percentages per level of education, your comment is not rude, but simply useless.

A bit of reading comprehension would also have gone a long way - as I pointed out (and as the article cited also states), these results are in line with other similar studies from other parts of the world. You need multiple data points to propose a correlation, and you clearly didn't bother actually looking into the subject.

Yes! I must admit that I did not read it! You are absolutely correct to point that out, and I have learned a lesson. I will certainly read it now, and prepare better the next time I choose to engage.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »

Yes! I must admit that I did not read it! You are absolutely correct to point that out, and I have learned a lesson. I will certainly read it now, and prepare better the next time I choose to engage.

Now that I have read it; why do you find it reassuring that countries/people with low general level of education tends to be more prone to believe in flat earth?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 12:58:48 PM »
why do you find it reassuring that countries/people with low general level of education tends to be more prone to believe in flat earth?
That is not what I said. Once again, note that this is in line with other studies worldwide. Your insistence that there is a correlation between a general level of education and FE is, in this case, unfounded and goes against evidence.

I also already told you what I find reassuring: "the growth of the Flat Earth Theory worldwide."
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:01:39 PM by Pete Svarrior »

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
why do you find it reassuring that countries/people with low general level of education tends to be more prone to believe in flat earth?
That is not what I've said. Once again, note that this is in line with other studies. Your insistence that there is a correlation between a general level of education and FE is, in this case, unfounded and goes against evidence.

I also already told you what I find reassuring: "the growth of the Flat Earth Theory worldwide."

First of all I am really sorry if it seems like  I am insisting on anything. I am not! I am simply curious! Maybe you are getting slightly defensive? I do understand that given all the discussions you are a part of.

i simply pointed out, as did the article, that among those with low education the belief in flat earth is higher. The same number goes for USA. I also looked up the education/literacy levels in these countries and found the same tendency.

You wrote, in relation to linking the article, that the growth of FE believers are reassuring. I interpreted the article in terms of being a correlation between level of education and belief in FE. Was I wrong?

Edit: In what way does my belief that one are more prone to believe in FE the less educated one is go against evidence? The article states: "While 10% of those who left school after elementary school defend that Earth is flat, this percentage decreases among those who studied until they finished high school (6%) or higher (3%)". You also pointed out that this is in line with other studies. Does this not imply a relationship between believing in FE and level of education?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:25:09 PM by TheNormalOne »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 02:08:39 PM »
I strongly suggest that you familiarise yourself with other studies I shared here, across multiple threads, and on social media. Your current approach is not one I'm willing to engage with.

Please also make sure you've read the READ BEFORE POSTING: Welcome to Flat Earth Media! thread. Specifically, note that "this board is generally not intended for in-depth discussion of the materials linked."

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 06:56:36 PM »

Archive links:

sorry to restart the thread, but as someone who has a brazilian family this really warms my heart :)