Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
It's official - Hollywood has run out of movie ideas
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:07:46 AM »
Warner Bros. has acquired feature films rights to the classic 1980s arcade game “Space Invaders,” which has recruited some high-profile producers.

Does this means that they've given up on Space Invaders?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: It's official - Hollywood has run out of movie ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:14:13 AM »
It isn't Hollywood that has changed, it's the audience.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »
This. And a movie about Tupperware starring Sandra Ballsack...

http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainment/celebrity/hollywood/sandra-bullock-to-star-in-tupperware-unsealed-biopic-1.1362149

At least we have The Avengers.... Lol just kidding that movie sucks.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:30 AM »
Futurama did this already.  And it was better.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:24:38 AM »

Oh, no, not the dopey "we give the people what they want" argument again.  Trends in entertainment are directly set by the entertainment industry itself.  Hollywood doesn't survey people to find out what movies they want to see and then make them, it makes movies based on what the people in charge decide.  They're not slaves to some mysterious, vague spirit of public opinion, they're human beings making choices, and they ought to be held accountable to them.  For them to jump back whenever they churn out a piece of shit and say, "Don't blame us, the market made us do it!" isn't just ducking any sense of social responsibility they might have, it's a weird form of reversing the blame.  Consumer-shaming, you might call it.  "Hey, it's not our fault that this movie was garbage.  It's your fault."  It implies that we have no right to demand better from the industry, which is complete and utter bullshit.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »

Oh, no, not the dopey "we give the people what they want" argument again.  Trends in entertainment are directly set by the entertainment industry itself.  Hollywood doesn't survey people to find out what movies they want to see and then make them, it makes movies based on what the people in charge decide.  They're not slaves to some mysterious, vague spirit of public opinion, they're human beings making choices, and they ought to be held accountable to them.  For them to jump back whenever they churn out a piece of shit and say, "Don't blame us, the market made us do it!" isn't just ducking any sense of social responsibility they might have, it's a weird form of reversing the blame.  Consumer-shaming, you might call it.  "Hey, it's not our fault that this movie was garbage.  It's your fault."  It implies that we have no right to demand better from the industry, which is complete and utter bullshit.

It seems to me like someone takes a bit of a risk on a certain type of movie, it catches on (expected or not) and Hollywood proceeds to make it over and over again until the genre bombs and everyone says "omg totally didn't see that coming".  But yeah, I find your argument pretty funny given the constant success of the Transformers movies. The new one was utter shit but still made megabucks, and it's totally the fault of the consumer. Michael Bay is just giving people what they want.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 03:12:19 AM »

Er, I thought Hollywood made movies based on what made the most money. If that is the case then it would be the audience's fault.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:04:19 PM »
A lot of dogs do like the telly left on when you go out.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
It seems to me like someone takes a bit of a risk on a certain type of movie, it catches on (expected or not) and Hollywood proceeds to make it over and over again until the genre bombs and everyone says "omg totally didn't see that coming".  But yeah, I find your argument pretty funny given the constant success of the Transformers movies. The new one was utter shit but still made megabucks, and it's totally the fault of the consumer. Michael Bay is just giving people what they want.

Yes, people still see bad movies.  That doesn't change the fact that the people who make these movies are responsible for their low quality.  They could have been directed better.  They could have been written better.  They could have been acted better.  I don't believe that there's any genre or sub-type of movie that is inherently, automatically bad and there's nothing that anyone could have done to make them good.  Hell, just look at Pacific Rim.  That's a perfect example of taking the same basic concept and actually making a worthwhile film out of it.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
I don't believe that there's any genre or sub-type of movie that is inherently, automatically bad and there's nothing that anyone could have done to make them good.

Are you sure about that?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Shmeggley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »

If that's true then why do these huge blockbusters spend so much on marketing? I'm guessing that the people who actually want to sit and get pummeled by non-stop explosions for 2 hours are actually in the minority, and the rest just get sucked in by all the hype.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
Rhianna is waiting by the phone.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »
I don't believe that there's any genre or sub-type of movie that is inherently, automatically bad and there's nothing that anyone could have done to make them good.

Are you sure about that?

Asylum films are intentionally bad, it's not so much a failing on the part of cast and crew but an aesthetic decision. Now, I highly doubt they could turn in a compelling drama even if they wanted to, but they play to their strengths by not even trying. Sharknado and Mega Python vs. Gatoroid have many a hilarious moment.

Anyway, people who think Hollywood is worse now are clearly forgetting the endless stream of bad movies that it has been shovelling forth ever since it existed. Look past the acknowledged classics of any decade from the 1910s through to the 2000s and you'll find (in addition to some hidden gems, obviously) hundreds of god awful, mediocre, insipid, uninspired titles. Because Hollywood is a film industry it produces large numbers of movies every year, most of them are going to be mediocre or based on dumb ideas like Space Invaders as a matter of course, it's always been that way.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »

Anyway, people who think Hollywood is worse now are clearly forgetting the endless stream of bad movies that it has been shovelling forth ever since it existed. Look past the acknowledged classics of any decade from the 1910s through to the 2000s and you'll find (in addition to some hidden gems, obviously) hundreds of god awful, mediocre, insipid, uninspired titles. Because Hollywood is a film industry it produces large numbers of movies every year, most of them are going to be mediocre or based on dumb ideas like Space Invaders as a matter of course, it's always been that way.

Dude this

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »
Well I think this will be a good film.

Ghost of V

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »
Well I think this will be a good film.

fappenhosen is Snupes alt confirmed.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
Are you sure about that?

Holy shit, I need to watch that.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »
I think it's on Netflix.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »
Are you sure about that?

Holy shit, I need to watch that.

You better hop to it, then. There's a sequel coming out in 7 days titled Sharknado 2: The Second One.