Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
VR Headsets
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:25:49 AM »
Virtual Reality is hitting a popularity streak once again, with the most recent burst of news coming out of the Gaming Developer's Conference. As you may or may not know, the leading (and only) contender for VR headsets was Oculus with the Oculus Rift. After some time of gaining popularity Oculus was bought by Facebook. This was seen as a Very Bad Thing by most of the VR community at the time. However, after the acquisition much of the community conceded that since Oculus was the only modern VR company, they would have no choice but to buy the Oculus, Facebook or no.

Then, GDC 2015 comes along, and HTC announces a VR headset in collaboration with Valve. Valve originally worked with Oculus for quite some time and stopped when Oculus was acquired by Facebook. This is probably because Valve and Facebook are both major social platforms which are, at some level, competing with each other. Knowing that Facebook may very well build an ecosystem around the Oculus Rift that locks Valve's Steam gaming platform out of the loop, Valve hooked up with HTC to create their own VR headset.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/8127445/htc-vive-valve-vr-headset

Clearly, Valve and HTC knew what they were doing. The headset has better tracking, resolution, refresh rate, and many other attributes. All of this combined with HTC's holiday 2015 release schedule was a devastating announcement to Oculus. Rumors abound as to whether Valve will announce Half-Life 3 at their GDC presentation tomorrow, which is scheduled at 3:00 P.M. local time on March 3. 3/3 at 3. Sort of assholes for doing that. Probably think it's funny.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:27:27 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Ghost of V

Re: VR Headsets
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:22 AM »
I don't think VR is going to take off. Especially Oculus after Facebook acquiring it.

I am very interested in this claim that Valve is going to announce Half-Life 3 tomorrow. That game is practically mythical at this point. I hope they're not going to make it exclusive for their new VR platform, although that might be a smart business move. I would not be pleased however.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:38:28 AM »
I don't think VR is going to take off.

It quite literally already has. Samsung, HTC/Valve, Facebook, all making VR headsets. Although I have never used one myself, the people that have demo'd them or that have the dev kits swear by it and people already throw quite a lot of monies at acquiring one. I'm looking forward to trying it and I'm pretty much already sold on the Vive.

I am very interested in this claim that Valve is going to announce Half-Life 3 tomorrow. That game is practically mythical at this point. I hope they're not going to make it exclusive for their new VR platform, although that might be a smart business move. I would not be pleased however.

I doubt it will be "VR only" but Valve has always talked about waiting for a new technology to showcase the next installment of Half-Life. It's been 8 years since the last release, some kind of Source 3 engine and Half-Life 3 existing aren't impossible, just unlikely. Valve was able to come out of left field and smash Facebook in the Face with the Vive announcement, I don't doubt their ability to keep Half-Life 3 under wraps for years and years.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:00:25 AM »
Oh, in addition I neglected to mention that Nvidia is also revealing a headset at GDC.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
Add Microsoft to the pile.
www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

I personally don't like VR headsets.  The thought of being deaf and blind to the outside world is scary.  Just think how much easier it would be to sneak up on someone who can't see or hear anything around them.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »
I don't feel like VR is as big as you make it seem, Rushy. VR is certainly not a mainstream hit yet, and I feel like companies are banking on it being just that with no real factual basis. It's 3D movies all over again. Sure, it will crop up from time to time, but it won't stay in the public consciousness long enough to become anything more than a niche gaming accessory.

It's somewhat expensive and aimed at the PC gaming market right now. Once it reaches a console I'm sure it will become a more serious contender (Project Morpheus doesn't count because lolsony), but right now it is just an expensive toy for PC enthusiasts who want to play Half-Life 2 wearing La Forge's visor curled up in the corner of their basements. With absolutely no contact from the outside world it is essentially the ultimate escapist fantasy, but it's also an unholy abomination that will rot the human condition.

I am vehemently opposed to VR.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:36:54 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
technological advancement is bad
ok
The Mastery.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »
I already use stuff like trackIR with Arma, gaming doesn't get much more immersive than that. This will be the next big step up, and all of the possibilities are exciting. Stop being a luddite, Vauxy.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:02:09 PM »
Also, it isn't just aimed at pc gamers. Samsung's GearVR is aimed at mobile apps and movie watching on the go.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »
All of this combined with HTC's holiday 2015 release schedule was a devastating announcement to Oculus.
Don't you know that release schedules are one of the industry's great lies?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:38:40 PM »
HTC isn't in the industry of blowing smoke. When a mobile company says X product is releasing in Y amount of time, they mean it.

Also I'm still really surprised at vauxy's staunch anti-vr stance.

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 06:18:49 PM »
The big thing with VR is presence, and from what I've seen of Oculus Rift (I have no experience with The Vive) it just doesn't deliver presence. Granted, I've never personally used one, but I've read a lot about them on the internet so I'm basically an expert. You feel like you're kinda there, in the game world, but that's about it. You can't realistically move and traverse the gameworld with natural body movements. You're still limited by the game's engine, and things can start to feel odd and unnatural because of that. Most people think that it's going to be some Star Trek holodeck experience, but it's really not. You get a visual and that's it. It neglects several human senses that would make VR something really special, like touch and smell.

There are a few devices in the works to remedy this movement problem, but they're all cumbersome and will probably be very expensive for the average consumer. The best attempt I've seen at this is some sort of treadmill that you stand in the middle of with tethers strapped to your body to prevent you from falling over. Do you honestly think most people will want to buy something like this for a more ideal VR experience? It looks like something you'd put a mental patient in, or a test subject in a lab. Not to mention you need a pretty powerful PC to even run VR games, which is another reason it will not take off.

Plus, if we look at the games, most are old games with compatibility built in via drivers or whatever. There are very few games that were built around this technology. This is because developers want a guaranteed payoff; spending potentially millions of dollars developing a VR game and trying to sell it when there is a very small demand and low install base is just a stupid idea.

Also, how can you say VR has already taken off when most VR headsets are being sold as development kits? Is there even one out yet for the basic consumer?? Just because companies are making something doesn't mean it has taken off. The important part is having a successful product, and VR looks like it's just setting itself up for failure.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:07:32 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 08:18:44 PM »
It sounds more like you're the one who set your expectations too high and are now bitterly disappointed.

Ghost of V

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 08:21:15 PM »
It sounds more like you're the one who set your expectations too high and are now bitterly disappointed.

I had no expectations. I have been vehemently opposed to VR since the Oculus debacle.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »
It is still strange to me that you are "vehemently opposed" to something you have never even used and to top it off, you're completely sure this thing you've never tried is not good.

And to go into the whole "live in your basement in a virtual world" I would like to point out humans have been addicted to reality escaping fantasy for quite some time. Books, movies, paintings, video games. Humans who want to stay wrapped in a fantasy world have done so for hundreds of years before the Oculus was even a science fiction idea.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 08:33:41 PM »
Videogames are for children.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 08:36:11 PM »
It is still strange to me that you are "vehemently opposed" to something you have never even used and to top it off, you're completely sure this thing you've never tried is not good.

And to go into the whole "live in your basement in a virtual world" I would like to point out humans have been addicted to reality escaping fantasy for quite some time. Books, movies, paintings, video games. Humans who want to stay wrapped in a fantasy world have done so for hundreds of years before the Oculus was even a science fiction idea.

Have you ever used one?

I am more so vehemently opposed to what VR is now. It's turning into a 3D movie situation, and it amuses me that people think this is going to be the next big thing when really it's just a TV wrapped around your head with some headphones built in. It's not VR at all. That's my biggest issue with it. Once there is a virtual reality set that uses all the senses, then maybe I'll give it a chance... but right now it's just a silly expensive gimmick that adds nothing new to gaming except sensory deprivation.

and still no Half-Life 3  >:(

Has the expo/conference already happened?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:48:04 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 09:14:18 PM »
Have you ever used one?

Read the thread.

I am more so vehemently opposed to what VR is now. It's turning into a 3D movie situation, and it amuses me that people think this is going to be the next big thing when really it's just a TV wrapped around your head with some headphones built in. It's not VR at all. That's my biggest issue with it. Once there is a virtual reality set that uses all the senses, then maybe I'll give it a chance... but right now it's just a silly expensive gimmick that adds nothing new to gaming except sensory deprivation.

You have no idea what it's like though. It makes no sense for you to have an opinion on this subject that equates to " vehemently opposed "

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
Have you ever used one?

Read the thread.

You have no idea what it's like though. It makes no sense for you to have an opinion on this subject that equates to " vehemently opposed "

I know the materials, the components, and function. What else do I need to know? Do you not agree that it is basically a high resolution screen wrapped around your head?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »
I'm saying I wish I had the magical ability to know what something is like without ever having tried it.