Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #620 on: August 30, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
That's retarded.

"Hey, I have a permanent smile for X reason.  Let me go crazy and become a psychopath!"
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 06, 2017, 12:18:00 AM »
While I'm on the subject of rambling about Batman, I'll at least credit the Burtman movies with having some fantastic set designs:

Every Batman adaptation should try to make Gotham look and feel unique. As much as people mock Schumacher's movies, his vision of Gotham as a neon-lit nightlife hub punctuated by enormous statues also had some merit to it:

In many ways, this aesthetic was a modern update of how the city was portrayed in Silver Age comics, particularly ones drawn by Dick Sprang. Giant advertising props were something of a recurring theme back then:

There's a lot more I could say about this subject by bringing up TAS, Gotham, and Bamham, but I think I've made my point by now, and I don't want to have thirty pictures in one post. Anyway, it was disappointing to see the Nolan movies portray Gotham as only a little more interesting than real-world Chicago, and I was genuinely surprised when BvS's take on Gotham was even more generic, given Snyder's love of recreating comic panels and showing off big, flashy shots. And what really kills me about this is that there was a cool, stylized Gotham...in this weird Turkish Airlines ad:

That looks awesome! Why couldn't Gotham have been like that in BvS? Hell, even Metropolis looked great in its own ad:

Why did they have to go with dull warehouses and alleys instead? We have CGI now! They can make the setting look like anything they want!
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2017, 03:41:13 AM »
A city with cranes. Very cool and stylized.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 06, 2017, 04:28:47 AM »
It's more realistic, Sadaam.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 06, 2017, 05:20:48 AM »
A city with cranes. Very cool and stylized.

Don't be so cynical. It's things like the Ace Chemicals sign, the golden opera house, the gargoyle, the great shot of the skyline from what's presumably Bruce Wayne's penthouse. Obviously they're just little details, but if they had actually been representative of the movie's setting, we might have had a Gotham as unique and memorable as Burtman's. Which would have had its legacy ruined by the shitty movie it was in, admittedly. Maybe they'll revisit the idea for the solo Batman movie.

It's more realistic, Sadaam.

We already had three Batman movies that were as realistic as Batman movies could feasibly be. BAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 06, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
The takeaway studios really need to get is:

If we wanted realism, we wouldn't be going to a Superhero movie.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 13, 2017, 05:29:09 AM »
<Saddam> SnapapaTheRappa: The Gotham shown in the Turkish Airlines ad looked cool, admit it
<SnapapaTheRappa> Saddam: I mean, it looked like a city with some Gotham stuff CGI'd in
<Saddam> Yes
<SnapapaTheRappa> I wouldn't call it "cool and stylized"
<Saddam> It was a foundation for it
<SnapapaTheRappa> At most I'd say "cool, they put in minimal effort to make it Gotham"
<SnapapaTheRappa> Right, which is a far cry from "cool and stylized"
<Parsifal> More like Gotbacon amirite
<Saddam> CGI can design settings more effectively and efficiently than sets
<Anastas> Hmm
<SnapapaTheRappa> Okay?
<Saddam> If Anton Furst could do it with all his models and elaborate set designs in 1989, they can do it with CGI now
<Anastas> It's a spicy take
<Saddam> baaawwwwwww
<SnapapaTheRappa> I think you're missing that my key disgreement here is that that ad was a "cool and stylized" Gotham
<Saddam> It hinted at one, I should say
<Saddam> In and of itself it wasn't that
<SnapapaTheRappa> Also that Metropolis ad had sunlight and colour and it scares me seeing it with DCEU characters
<SnapapaTheRappa> I would agree it hinted at something better
<Saddam> My favorite Gotham is the one in Bamham Knight
<Parsifal> Gotpork
<Saddam> It mashes every adaptation together
<SnapapaTheRappa> Gotmilk
<SnapapaTheRappa> Saddam, I actually agree, Arkham Knight had a fucking great Gotham
<Saddam> One of these days I'll write another rambling post about other adaptations' portrayals of Gotham and include a bunch of pictures
<SnapapaTheRappa> Just too much blue or too much red depending on how much you secured
<SnapapaTheRappa> I didn't like that
<SnapapaTheRappa> Also please do, I like comic talk

I won't say too much about the Gotham of TAS, simply because that show has been written about a million times before. Indeed, the Internet is still in the middle of a surge of new articles about it because of its recent 25th anniversary. I'll just say that it's cool. Art deco, red skies, black backgrounds, airships, and so on:

The Bamham series, and especially Knight, has the best Gotham of all. The architecture splits the difference between Burton's sinister Gothic design and Schumacher's bright-lights-big-city aesthetic, while the airships are no doubt a nod to TAS:

Finally, there's Gotham itself. You can't really get a sense of what the titular city is like from a few pictures, and it's hard to describe it in words too. This article is the best explanation I could find:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/oct/06/designing-gotham-production-designer-doug-kraner

Bear in mind that was when the show was starting out. It's gotten steadily more flamboyant over the years. I've had my issues with plenty of the things they've done, like supermarkets that cater to criminals (PA system and all!), assassins that chase their targets on motorcycles while waving machetes wildly, and...this scene:

(I actually love that scene. The guitar riff is the best part.)

However, there's no denying that these occurrences lend the city an unmistakable personality and character. Whatever insane thing the show introduces next, I'll believe it, because it's the kind of thing that happens in this Gotham.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:43:17 AM by honk »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 08, 2017, 03:36:10 PM »

I like this trailer a little more than the previous ones, but it's still a mess. What's happening? Where is it is happening? Why does this look more like a video game than a movie? I guess I kind of like the goofy dudebro thing Aquaman has going on, but that's about it. I wish I had more to say about this, I really do. Snyder gonna Snyder.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 09, 2017, 01:59:44 AM »
I still think all the attempts at humour are awful, Jesus. That Flash bit at the end...yikes.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 08, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
(10/17) Oh, and it looks like there's been some extensive recoloring of the movie, including a few scenes we saw in previous trailers. Everything is now a (very ugly) hellish red, and there are tendrils or some shit growing out of the ground...is this leading to some bullshit repeat of the villain's plan from MoS, transforming Earth into an alien planet? And yeah, the comedy isn't working here. It feels like it's very standard "ha ha I'm self-aware" Whedon humor that he'd use in a standard Whedon production, and it clashes terribly with, well, pretty much everything else going on in the trailer.

WSJ has a story that I won't bother linking to because fuck them and their paywall, but it's essentially summarized here. It's not good. A nightmarish post-production process, an enormous budget, endless experimentation in trying to meld the work of two extremely different directors together, and so on. It's SS all over again.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:48:44 PM by honk »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 08, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
Oh yeah, it has a really good chance of flopping but hey, that won't stop Justice League 2.

Rama Set

« Reply #631 on: November 08, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »
The article did say that test audience reactions compared closely to the response to WW, so perhaps not all is lost?  Asking for a time constraint isn’t the end of the world and can actually be a huge boon as it requires careful consideration of what is in the movie and how important and effective it actually is. This can leave shoehorned humor or overly drawn out moments better delivered or perhaps out of the film altogether.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 15, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
The reviews are out, and while RT is hiding its own aggregation for some dumb reason until midnight, we can still judge the general consensus for ourselves:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/justice-league/critic-reviews

It looks to be yet another chopped-up mess, and even the reviews tending positive come with a lot of reservations.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 15, 2017, 07:09:25 PM »
The new Deadpool trailer is pretty great, so is the description of the movie and what is supposedly the movie's new name.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 16, 2017, 05:51:16 AM »

A couple of the gags were amusing, but I feel like a lot of it was very shallow, bottom-of-the-barrel memes and references of the sort that Deadpool's most vocal fans - idiots on the Internet - are most fond of. The reference to reddit especially concerned me. I don't want the filmmakers paying attention to reddit or anything said there, let alone trying to cater to them. There's something about Deadpool that makes redditors' brains fall out of their heads and start eagerly writing "jokes" in which Deadpool runs around yelling about chimichangas and Internet memes. Take a look at this, for example. I'm not cherry picking. Every reddit post about Deadpool dissolves into cringe that inexplicably garners hundreds of upvotes.

On the notion of JL:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-gets-delayed-rotten-tomatoes-score-43-percent-1058391

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 16, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »
Just stick to complaining about shitty DC movies, Saddam. Let the rest of us troglodytes have fun with Untitled Deadpool Sequel.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 16, 2017, 04:37:18 PM »
Is it me or is that Cyborg gif look really... weird?  Like his head is swirling around in ways it's not supposed to?  Less like a cyborg and more like a slight delay in the CGI and human face?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 17, 2017, 12:38:32 AM »
Of course it's not you; the CGI is obviously horrendous. That's why I posted it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017/

lol it's another dud

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 17, 2017, 04:27:01 AM »
I won't have fun with Untitled Deadpool Sequel.
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 17, 2017, 04:56:58 AM »
I just really just hope Untitled Deadpool Sequel is a little sharper and less like it's written by a 12-year old. I enjoyed the first, for the most part, but man it could've been so, so much better. Especially when they weren't content to let the jokes just be and had to draw them out and explain them to make sure the audience really gets that HEY LOOK IT'S THE JUMP IT'S THE JUMP SHE'S DOING IT SHE'S GONNA DO IT THEY DO IT IN EVERY SUPERHERO MOVIE HAHA LOOK SHE'S ABOUT TO WOW SHE DID THE JUMP HAHA NO REALLY THEY REALLY DO IT GO WATCH THE MOVIES THEY DO