Re: Thread for talking about council nominations.
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2013, 12:25:38 AM »
I had a couple of nominations but as the votes are being sent to me I said dont count me in. Dont get me wrong id of liked to have a go at it. I fully support the society and what it is. But the admins run the website and didnt want to host the voting for the council so I did it.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »
You are making this difficult. I'll vote for Secret User, then.

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2013, 12:31:56 AM »
Hahaha you are. Go to flat earth general and read what it says there XD

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2013, 12:49:09 AM »
It says admins are still nominated. Conflicting information, help?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2013, 12:59:47 AM »
It says admins are still nominated. Conflicting information, help?

Updated.

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2013, 01:00:39 AM »
I still have about 4 votes that need to be changed too. Sorry I forgot to remove them.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2013, 01:22:46 AM »
Hmm. How about:

Council Chair: This would be whoever gets the most votes. If there's a tie, it will be chosen randomly by a coin flip or whatever. The position will last a year (apart from this first run), unlike the other positions which will last 6 months. The chair has veto power. They also have another of the three positions. For example, the Chair could also be one of the Flat Earth Theory representatives from DDDDAts's suggestion.

I agree about only having five positions.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
Hmm. How about:

Council Chair: This would be whoever gets the most votes. If there's a tie, it will be chosen randomly by a coin flip or whatever. The position will last a year (apart from this first run), unlike the other positions which will last 6 months. The chair has veto power. They also have another of the three positions. For example, the Chair could also be one of the Flat Earth Theory representatives from DDDDAts's suggestion.

I agree about only having five positions.

That was only a starter for ten, any structure at all would be better than nothing, I don't think those elected should decide it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

People don't even know what they're voting for, it's ridiculous. They should vote on the purpose and structure of the council and then vote for who should be on it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
Know what's funny?
Those nominates haven't even confirmed that they'll accept the position of elected.

Or at least, last I saw.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
Perhaps I should just delete all the threads then. If e wry person who wasn't nominated is just going to complain then we shouldn't do this. I was only willing if there was no objections but clearly there is.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2013, 05:51:48 PM »
Perhaps I should just delete all the threads then. If e wry person who wasn't nominated is just going to complain then we shouldn't do this. I was only willing if there was no objections but clearly there is.

I think it should continue.  There won't be a system anywhere that no one has any objections to.  I agree with Thork that the votes aren't going to change much if at all, regardless of how many discussions are held.

I am in favor of the idea, still.  If the community as a whole doesn't want to, then so be it.

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »

I think it should continue.  There won't be a system anywhere that no one has any objections to.  I agree with Thork that the votes aren't going to change much if at all, regardless of how many discussions are held.

I am in favor of the idea, still.  If the community as a whole doesn't want to, then so be it.

We don't have a system to even disagree about, that's my problem. Personally I don't care what system you come up with.

An elected council seems like a good idea, however if you want to take this seriously I think the purpose of the council and what it's meant to achieve should be clarified into a council structure first.

At the moment people are just voting blindly for their forum buddy without real understanding of what they're voting for which is ridiculous and may cause problems further down the line.

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
I'm not gonna say who wants who but I don't think people are just voting for friends. We moved here to make a better society and I think those who have voted are doing so honestly.

Just relax I think we need to set a council up to aid the idea of what they should do. Are people worried they will have power over the forum? Because that's not the idea. Their work should be mostly external to spread the FES about and to talk with new posters and promote the FES.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
If we're going to be doing everything all democraticy in the long term, maybe we should eventually have an election etc. board? Call it administration or something. This would be where people could be nominated, make cases for themselves, and where the election itself could happen. My main reason for suggesting this is that once we start getting a lot of angry noobs again, it'll  be difficult to hold that kind of conversation in FEG.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
Yeah it would be needed. Even if it was tempary during elections. I'd like it to be visable to people who have a so called right to vote too. I mentioned previously that there is no stopping a catearththeory joining with his army of noobs and getting votes. That would not be good. There def should be a good solid structure when this happens again. It's good to get this underway swiftly for now. But next time it should have more structure.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
I'm not sure what the purpose of the council is.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »
It is a steering committee for the promotion of FET.  It doesn't hold sway over the forum, but we will adopt the models the council decides on.  The initial council's job is going to be to build a framework of rules and responsibilities, which is why it is only going to be temporary.  We are voting for people with enough FE knowledge to help guide the society.  I envision the council will engage non-council members and solicit feedback and opinions from our community to shape what its role is.  There is nothing firmly defined yet, because we are voting for a group of people to define it.

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
The voting closes tonight. If you still want to have a vote there is plenty of time still. Even those who are not so keen, it would be better to have your input now rather than complaining about not voting at a later date.