Thork

Flat Earth Calendar
« on: December 08, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
I am specifically thinking of secret user, but think it might also be another nice thing to add to the site.

Could we use a google calendar, maybe even add a wiki page or even make a site hosted calendar with all the important dates for FES? It would have information like

Today is Samuel Rowbotham's birthday
Today is the 175th aniversary of the Bedford level experiments.
On this day 20 years ago Thomas Dolby recorded his album The flat Earth

you get the idea.

I just think it would help those guys out with tweets etc because constantly coming up with new stuff with meaning might be a little bit of a chore.

I'd hope this might make some interesting factual info for these guys to pump in amongst the social stuff and help keep the feeds relevant to the society?

Might also help spawn new threads on the forum as these events come up.

Do people like this idea or am I just thinking off the top of my head?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:36:41 PM by Thork »

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth Calendar
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
I like the idea. Why don't you do it? Everyone has good ideas, we need people to do.
God is real.

Thork

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »
I just need a place to do it and for it to be worthwhile. It would take me a while. If its never used and never added, that would be a bit annoying.

Also, I'm keen to get as many people involved as possible.

However this is FET and so I'd be pretty good at it. Would like to collaborate with maybe Tom as what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing.

Or maybe I could set up a thread for people to add dates with a source and I could populate a calendar using those as people find stuff and add it.

Screw it. I'll make a start in the repository. We can find a platform later.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:46:26 PM by Thork »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »
I think it is an excellent idea.  Especially to pair it with Twitter for content.

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
I am specifically thinking of secret user, but think it might also be another nice thing to add to the site.

Could we use a google calendar, maybe even add a wiki page or even make a site hosted calendar with all the important dates for FES? It would have information like

Today is Samuel Rowbotham's birthday
Today is the 175th aniversary of the Bedford level experiments.
On this day 20 years ago Thomas Dolby recorded his album The flat Earth

you get the idea.

I just think it would help those guys out with tweets etc because constantly coming up with new stuff with meaning might be a little bit of a chore.

I'd hope this might make some interesting factual info for these guys to pump in amongst the social stuff and help keep the feeds relevant to the society?

Might also help spawn new threads on the forum as these events come up.

Do people like this idea or am I just thinking off the top of my head?
Sounds like a vary good idea I like it alot :D Definitley do it :)
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
Please help me. Just add important FES dates to that thread. Keep all yours in one post. Make sure it has a source so I can verify it. Don't worry if its not relevant or we have it already. I'll vet it to make sure your entries are relevant.

I think it is an excellent idea.  Especially to pair it with Twitter for content.

Definitely, I think this would help a lot with generating content.
Then I shall continue and once I have about 200 dates, I'll stick them into something readable with the help of the admin staff.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:51:39 PM by Thork »

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »
Please help me. Just add important FES dates to that thread. Keep all yours in one post. Make sure it has a source so I can verify it. Don't worry if its not relevant or we have it already. I'll vet it to make sure your entries are relevant.
Ill be happy to help you! :D Also what do you mean "that" thread? Do you mean this thread?
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396

Thork

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
Ill be happy to help you! :D Also what do you mean "that" thread? Do you mean this thread?
No, there is a sticky in the repository.

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »
Got your back Jack. Will do :)
Viva la FES!

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
I, too, like this idea a lot!

Then I shall continue and once I have about 200 dates, I'll stick them into something readable with the help of he admin staff.

Do you mean you're going to find 200 entire FE-related dates? If so, wow, I salute you. That's quite a bit
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Thork

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
Got your back Jack. Will do :)
It is time consuming and you will need to do a bit of research, but your knowledge of the flat earth society will be pretty darn good afterwards.

I, too, like this idea a lot!

Then I shall continue and once I have about 200 dates, I'll stick them into something readable with the help of he admin staff.

Do you mean you're going to find 200 entire FE-related dates? If so, wow, I salute you. That's quite a bit
It's not going to be as hard as you think. I have 150 years of history to dredge. Its what to leave out that is hard. I'm gonna try to pick things that have an interesting link or back story to them.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
]It's not going to be as hard as you think. I have 150 years of history to dredge. Its what to leave out that is hard. I'm gonna try to pick things that have an interesting link or back story to them.

Still, 200 events on different dates seems like a lot. What kinda events are you going to be picking out? I could be vastly underestimating the amount of big events in FE history, though; you'd know way more about it than I would.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »
]It's not going to be as hard as you think. I have 150 years of history to dredge. Its what to leave out that is hard. I'm gonna try to pick things that have an interesting link or back story to them.

Still, 200 events on different dates seems like a lot. What kinda events are you going to be picking out? I could be vastly underestimating the amount of big events in FE history, though; you'd know way more about it than I would.
I already started a thread in the repository. I've added about a dozen dates in 20 mins.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »
Here are some ideas for you:

Modern Flat Earth events
Rowbotham's Birthday & Death
William Carpenter's Birthday & Death
Hampden's Birthday & Death
Lady Bount's Birthday & Death
Samuel Shenton's Birthday & Death
Charles K. Johnson's Birthday & Death
Voliva's Birthday & Death

Anniversary of the Bedford Level Experiment
Anniversary of the Hampden Wallace Experiment
Anniversary of Lady Boiunt's Calico Sheet Experiment
Anniversary of the founding of the City of Zion

Date for the first publication of Earth Not a Globe
Date for the third, more accepted, edition of Earth Not a Globe
Date for first publication of Lady Blount's Earth Not a Globe Review
Date for Thomas Winship's publication of Zetetic Cosmogony
Date for first publication of Charles Johnson's Flat Earth News

Nice to have:

Date Charles K Johnson's house burned down
Date Samuel Birley Rowbotham graduated Medical School

Other Historic Dates

Date Columbus discovered America
Date the South Pole was discovered/reached
Date the North Pole was discovered/reached
Date the earth was first circumnavigated
Date the earth was first circumnavigated by plane at the equator
Date Washington Irving published his lies about Columbus discovering the earth to be round
Date of Hitler's first successful firing of the V2 into the edge of space
Date of first derigible/plane to reach the edge of space
Date Einstein published his work on General Relativity
Date Newton published his PhilosophiƦ Naturalis Principia Mathematica which establishes his theory on the three laws and his theroy of gravity as a force
Dates Graviton and Dark matter are theorized

Ancient Flat Earth Events
--Unfortunately most dates such as the rise and fall of Ancient Babylonia, and dates surrounsing ancient greek Flat Earth believers are inspecific
--May be able to get dates surrounding Cosmas Indicopleustes and the date of his publishing of The Christian Topology

NASA
--Space program dates could easily outnumber the rest of the list. I would suggest keeping it short.
--Remember to put "Claimed" and "Alleged" in the description, or otherwise start it with "On this date NASA lied about ..."

Date of first US Communications Satellite
Date of first Man in Space
Date of Apollo 11 landing
Date of first US-Russian cooperation in space
First probes to visit Venus/Mars/Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune
International Space Station

Russia
Date the Soviet Space Agency was founded
First animal in orbit (Laika)
First artificial satellite in Earth orbit(Sputnick)
First ICBM (used to launch Sputnik)
First Russian Moon landing
MIR

ESA
Date of ESA Founding

China
Date of Chineese Space Agency founding
Date of first Chinese space walk
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:49:29 PM by Tom Bishop »

Thork

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
Holy crap. That's awesome Tom. Thanks so much. :D

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:17 PM »
Another idea is to use dates from the Opinions of the Press section as important lectures Rowbotham gave with the appropriate newspaper snippit. It would provide good filler. Ie.--

On this day on May 19th, 1862, Rowbotham lectured at Greenwich University

"'PARALLAX' AT THE LECTURE HALL.--This talented lecturer is again in Greenwich, rivetting the attention of his audiences, and compelling them to submit to the facts which he brings before them--we say submit, for this they do; it seems impossible for any one to battle with him, so powerful are the weapons he uses. Mathematicians argue with him at the conclusion of his lectures, but it would seem as though they held their weapons by the blade and fought with the handle, for sure enough they put the handle straight into the lecturer's hand, to their own utter discomfiture and chagrin. It remains yet to be seen whether any of our Royal Astronomers will have courage enough to meet him in discussion, or whether they will quietly allow him to give the death-blow to the Newtonian theory, and make converts of our townspeople to his own Zetetic philosophy. If 'Parallax' be wrong, for Heaven's sake let some of our Greenwich stars twinkle at the Hall, and dazzle, confound, or eclipse altogether this wandering one, who is turning men, all over England, out of the Newtonian path. 'Parallax' is making his hearers disgusted with the Newtonian and every other theory, and turning them to a consideration of facts and first principles, from which they know not how to escape. Again we beg and trust that some of our Royal Observatory gentlemen will try to save us, and prevent anything like a Zetetic epidemic prevailing amongst us."--Greenwich Free Press, May 19th, 1862.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:33:53 PM by Tom Bishop »

Thork

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »
This might be too obvious, but I think that there ought to be some indication of whether the event of a specific date is to be celebrated or mourned.

Clearly, the burning down of Charles K. Johnson's house was an unmitigated disaster and tragedy and shouldn't be observed in the same manner as the bestowal of Rowbotham's degree.
Would a smiley suffice?

Another idea is to use dates from the Opinions of the Press section as important lectures Rowbotham gave with the appropriate newspaper snippit. It would provide good filler.
That's no use for Twitter because Twitter is 140 characters if memory serves me correcty.

However this may have other applicaions or we could do a thought of the day thing or use it to generate threads based on what happened in the past. To be honest I think using that kind of info on the forums would be best as its a little bit to digest. your casual passerby I suspect might not get to the end of such a paragraph.

I'll keep it ... I'm just not sure what to do with it yet.

Thork

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 10:45:31 PM »
Would a smiley suffice?

Perhaps, but that could easily be perceived as being flippant.
#tragedy, #celebrate! ?

To be honest I have never used Twitter. Hopefully Secret User will find a way to make it obvious.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 11:19:45 PM »
This might be too obvious, but I think that there ought to be some indication of whether the event of a specific date is to be celebrated or mourned.

Clearly, the burning down of Charles K. Johnson's house was an unmitigated disaster and tragedy and shouldn't be observed in the same manner as the bestowal of Rowbotham's degree.
Would a smiley suffice?

I like this idea.  I propose  :) for births,  :D for other significant positive events in the history of the FES,  :'( for deaths and catastrophic events in the FES's history, and either  >o< or  ;) for events dealing with NASA and the Conspiracy, depending on whether we want to convey our anger over their existence or their own cheekiness.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
That's no use for Twitter because Twitter is 140 characters if memory serves me correcty.

Are there other calendar 'on this day' applications which are not Twitter?