Poll

Should we have a Zetetic Council?

Yes
No

Thork

Re: Zetetic Council
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »
Ok, defining a list of candidates for preferrential voting.

Lets say anyone who gets a nomination is added to the list. Everyone can make one nomination. Can't be for themselves.

So if I nominate Tom Bishop, we add Tom to the list of candidates.

Does that sound fair? Then we can make a thread, give everyone 5 votes, define the number of zetetic councilors beforehand and form the council.

Thork

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »
After that the council can figure out how to evaluate who is an FEer.
I don't think being an FEr is a pre-requisite. Roundy would be fine. Pizzaplanet thinks the earth is shaped like a pizza with double Australia.

The only thing that matters is that they help us improve the society standing.

If you think being a flat-earther is important, give your votes to FErs.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
Ok, defining a list of candidates for preferrential voting.

Lets say anyone who gets a nomination is added to the list. Everyone can make one nomination. Can't be for themselves.

So if I nominate Tom Bishop, we add Tom to the list of candidates.

Does that sound fair? Then we can make a thread, give everyone 5 votes, define the number of zetetic councilors beforehand and form the council.

I agree and am good with this.  I like Parsifal's idea of 5 to start, which can be expanded by a council vote.

Thork

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
Yeah, I like 5 as well now that I have seen it. Would make getting things done less of a clusterth*rk.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
Then we can make a thread, give everyone 5 votes

For preferential voting to work properly, you'll want people to be able to vote for the entire list of candidates in order from 1 to n.

If and when you end up deciding that this is the way you want to go, I'm happy to explain and/or oversee the electing process if requested.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
I'm happy with this. Will you oversee it as you have abstained from its inclusion?

You can explain the rules and we'll get on with it.

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
I agree with Thork that being a FEr shouldn't necessarily be a prerequisite.  There were a few RErs from the old site whom had a good working knowledge of FET and would also help the noobs understand some of the most simplistic ideas of it, Rama Set comes to mind with this.  This at least shows a willingness to learn the theory and to participate in the society.  This is a Zetetic Council, not a Flat Earth Council.

Thork

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
I agree with Thork that being a FEr shouldn't necessarily be a prerequisite.  There were a few RErs from the old site whom had a good working knowledge of FET and would also help the noobs understand some of the most simplistic ideas of it, Rama Set comes to mind with this.  This at least shows a willingness to learn the theory and to participate in the society.  This is a Zetetic Council, not a Flat Earth Council.
Vote for who you want. That's the point.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »
I'm happy with this. Will you oversee it as you have abstained from its inclusion?

You can explain the rules and we'll get on with it.

No problem. I'll explain how preferential voting works once we have a list of nominees.

As an aside, I see no problem with self-nomination, nor multiple nominations per person. The election will whittle down candidates based on public opinion; you don't need nominations for that.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Should we do separate threads for nomination and voting?  I'd like to get a list going soon.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »
Also, these decisions should be done over the course of a few days.
We have time zones and user schedules to consider.  It wouldn't be fair if only those online now had a say in the rules of how the council is formed.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2013, 08:34:58 PM »
I only have one further concern.

the ballot has to be secret. Otherwise those that vote last will have the greatest say. Lets say someone I kinda wanted is in 6th place and the rest of the vote is a done deal. I'll then just give that person my number one preference to help get them in, even though normally they might have been my 4th choice.

Parsifal could then make all the data available after the election for transparency.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »
I only have one further concern.

the ballot has to be secret. Otherwise those that vote last will have the greatest say. Lets say someone I kinda wanted is in 6th place and the rest of the vote is a done deal. I'll then just give that person my number one preference to help get them in, even though normally they might have been my 4th choice.

Parsifal could then make all the data available after the election for transparency.

I agree completely.

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
What decision will this council actually make apart from deciding who should be in it?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
Vote for who you want. That's the point.
I think the Zetetic Council should have a majority of professed FE believers, 3 or 4 out of five at least. The Flat Earth Society should be here to promote flat earth theory.

Maybe the website could have a flat earth believer button or star to be lit on users profile. Lit when a person applies to the Zetetic Council. The applicants post history could be reviewed to see if the person really believes, and has advanced and promoted FE beliefs.
God is real.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »
If a zentic council is formed, doesn't that essentially mean a few society is being formed?
I would have thought so. What Daniel has to do with it I don't know?
Because, like it or not, Daniel is the president of "the world famous Flat Earth Society".  This would become a new, upstart Flat Earth Society.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
If a zentic council is formed, doesn't that essentially mean a few society is being formed?
Because, like it or not, Daniel is the president of "the world famous Flat Earth Society".  This would become a new, upstart Flat Earth Society.
He is the self-proclaimed king of a forum that no one ever visits, Markjo.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »

So world famous that most people would say "Daniel who?"

I'm not sure it would take as much effort as you suppose to become the new official flat earth society.

What is the timeline of the flat earth society anyway? How exactly did this Daniel fellow become the official president for life?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2013, 10:39:20 PM »
Irrelevant.  For some strange reason, you keep thinking that the FES forum is the sum total of the Flat Earth Society.  I have no idea where you got that silly notion.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2013, 10:42:19 PM »
Irrelevant.  For some strange reason, you keep thinking that the FES forum is the sum total of the Flat Earth Society.  I have no idea where you got that silly notion.
well there is a wiki ... which we host, FE library ... which we are building, Twitter ... we have that, G+ ... yup. We don't have a podcast once a year or a book that isn't finished but I think we've all the other bases covered.

Tell me, what else is it that Daniel does that is so valuable and unique that only he can do it (or not do it as is his preference)?