Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Saddam's Troll concerns
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:04:20 PM »
Although the thread on .org turned into a quagmire, I wondered whether TFES admins had decided what their policy would be regarding trolls? I know that in my introductory thread it was implied that so long as they don't do anything grossly in violation of The One Rule they'll stay, but I don't think it's unreasonable to demand that persistent thread-derailers and trolls keep their clown acts to AR and CN.

So far, the only real offender is EJ, but if the likes of Healthy Earth or Nimp arrived to carry on their tedious campaign, would we have any policy in place to stop them from turning tfes into .org?

I'm putting this here so it's nice and official, and people can join in without having to wade through the crap in AR.

I would like to suggest that the mods reconsider the laissez-faire approach to trolling that they seem to have recently adopted.  It's not working.  In theory, it's a great idea, sure.  Just let the marketplace of ideas ensure that we maintain quality content in the forum!  The trolls go away frustrated when we refuse to bite, we're a stronger forum for it, etc.  But that's not what's happening.  Instead, the trolls are being replied to, being encouraged, being given exactly the replies they're looking for, and are continuing to spread their garbage all over the forum, ruining it for everyone.

In short, this community cannot be trusted to keep this forum from turning into little more than a joke.  We need guidance.  We need babysitting.  We need an adult to come in and turn off the hot stove that we keep touching.  Yes, it's immature and pathetic, but it's clearly the reality, and there's no point in ignoring it until this forum has been reduced to "i amm teh tipicul falt earter, sory abut my smelling" and "If evolution is real, why are there still rocks?"

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Saddam's Troll concerns
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
We have no policy as yet. Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis, erring on the side of leniency, until we have actual rules in place.

This is a good opportunity to discuss what people think the policy should be. Let's use this thread as a place to do that. Thoughts, anyone?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
While I like the idea that just because someone's annoying it's no reason to evict them, there have been members before who derail every thread they enter, refuse to stay on topic, troll with gay abandon and generally Tho*rk up everything they touch.

I'd advocate a 'three strikes and you're out' rule.

Strike one, when either a mod notices a flagrant example or receives 3 or more complaints, a PM is sent to the user explaining that they need to stop

Strike two: If they continue to muck about then limit their posting privileges to CN and AR for a period of time (week? Month?)

Strike 3: If they come back from their limited posting period and start up again then suspend/ ban them.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »
I'm not sure how to write this up in a rule, but a it's easier to stomach a troll thread/post when the poster does have some legitimate contributions to discussions. 

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:17:53 AM »
Deliberate off topic posting in a serious thread should not be allowed, warnings then bam. This would also cover low content posters.
God is real.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 04:13:19 AM »
I do have some thoughts I'd like to share on setting up some rules, but in the meantime, could we please just ban EJ?  Every single one of us knows that he's a troll and an alt who's just here to be as annoying and disruptive as possible.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 04:20:21 AM »
I do have some thoughts I'd like to share on setting up some rules, but in the meantime, could we please just ban EJ?  Every single one of us knows that he's a troll and an alt who's just here to be as annoying and disruptive as possible.
I just had a chat with Parsifal. We issued him one last warning. If he ignores that, it's bam time, promise.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 04:21:07 AM »
If he would just quit with the bullcrap "flippin" shit, I think it would be fine.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 04:25:57 AM »
No, he would not. 

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 04:27:30 AM »
EJ will be missed.  :(
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Thork

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 04:33:36 AM »
I see his name, I dont even read the post.

What's the problem? Some people reply. By definition he is contribuing to discussion. He's only still here because people interact with him . Its not my taste, but its not hurting anyone.

For me, he is getting something out of it. He obviously enjoys posting here. So great. That's what the site is for.

Just ignore posters you don't like. Its wrong to exclude people. I can't expect to enjoy the posts of a 12 year old troll, but the site isn't just for me.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 04:35:29 AM »
He's breaking the site's only current rule. We're trying to be patient, but it's not working out. Perhaps a short ban (or series of thereof) will help him.

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 05:17:33 AM »
Although the thread on .org turned into a quagmire, I wondered whether TFES admins had decided what their policy would be regarding trolls? I know that in my introductory thread it was implied that so long as they don't do anything grossly in violation of The One Rule they'll stay, but I don't think it's unreasonable to demand that persistent thread-derailers and trolls keep their clown acts to AR and CN.

So far, the only real offender is EJ, but if the likes of Healthy Earth or Nimp arrived to carry on their tedious campaign, would we have any policy in place to stop them from turning tfes into .org?

I'm putting this here so it's nice and official, and people can join in without having to wade through the crap in AR.

I would like to suggest that the mods reconsider the laissez-faire approach to trolling that they seem to have recently adopted.  It's not working.  In theory, it's a great idea, sure.  Just let the marketplace of ideas ensure that we maintain quality content in the forum!  The trolls go away frustrated when we refuse to bite, we're a stronger forum for it, etc.  But that's not what's happening.  Instead, the trolls are being replied to, being encouraged, being given exactly the replies they're looking for, and are continuing to spread their garbage all over the forum, ruining it for everyone.

In short, this community cannot be trusted to keep this forum from turning into little more than a joke.  We need guidance.  We need babysitting.  We need an adult to come in and turn off the hot stove that we keep touching.  Yes, it's immature and pathetic, but it's clearly the reality, and there's no point in ignoring it until this forum has been reduced to "i amm teh tipicul falt earter, sory abut my smelling" and "If evolution is real, why are there still rocks?"
Look I still stand by the fact that I am not a troll but if I have been breking the rules in any way I will stop imediateley for the love of FES. I apoligize if I come across as one im just vary emotionel and I will try to supres any type of bad behavior. I love FES and am a FE philosipher and scientist and I will do whatever posible to forwerd FES morels
Look Saddam your reley testing my pateince here im asking what im doing wrong but you just are just so quick with the ban button I mean thank God your not a mod. If im upseting anyone I apoligize I want everyone to know I do it for the sake of FES but ill try to be more low key. Once again im nether a troll or an alt
I just had a chat with Parsifal. We issued him one last warning. If he ignores that, it's bam time, promise.
And I recieved that warning and I apoligize for my actions I did not know I was breking any rules. I promise to stop any bad behavior
If he would just quit with the bullcrap "flippin" shit, I think it would be fine.
Cmon your aloud to use the s word but im not aloud to say flippin?
EJ will be missed.  :(
Indeed
I see his name, I dont even read the post.

What's the problem? Some people reply. By definition he is contribuing to discussion. He's only still here because people interact with him . Its not my taste, but its not hurting anyone.

For me, he is getting something out of it. He obviously enjoys posting here. So great. That's what the site is for.

Just ignore posters you don't like. Its wrong to exclude people. I can't expect to enjoy the posts of a 12 year old troll, but the site isn't just for me.
I agree with Th*rk that one shouldnt jump to conclusions. If you dont like me dont respond to me its as simple as that. And yes I cant lie I do indeed enjoy posting here and just philosiphizing upon FET in generel. And im nether 12 years old or a troll but whatever
He's breaking the site's only current rule. We're trying to be patient, but it's not working out. Perhaps a short ban (or series of thereof) will help him.
What rule exacley am I breking?
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 05:23:27 AM »

The "Don't be a dick" rule.  The only thing that you had to agree to when you created your account here. 

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 05:27:11 AM »

The "Don't be a dick" rule.  The only thing that you had to agree to when you created your account here.
Well im sorey if I came across as the d word when I entered the new site and try to be nicer to evereyone and treat even the REers as my FE brethren
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »
And you would be breaking the same rule by banning him.
God is real.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 03:28:22 PM »
We're giving him many more chances than we should be. It just so happens that this one is the last.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »
I have hopes that he will turn it around.  I base this on absolutely nothing.

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
There is some truth to this
We're giving him many more chances than we should be. It just so happens that this one is the last.
And I shall sureley folow I am sorey for any past ofenses
I have hopes that he will turn it around. 
Who will turn what around?
I base this on absolutely nothing.
What?
Viva la FES!

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »
Guys, end of discussion regarding EJ. He's been warned, and he will be banned if he keeps up what he was warned for, end of story. Any more posts about that issue in this thread will be deleted.

Let's return to the topic at hand, of a general policy for such issues.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol