BillO

Liz Truss
« on: September 07, 2022, 02:35:34 PM »
So, what the consensus on her?

It seems she has very little support from either the people of the UK or her party.  Given that it looks like she will have a rough ride.  Is she up to it?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Liz Truss
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 02:51:01 PM »
At this point the UK is an experiment where we can observe what happens when the pilot of a nation points the nose directly at the ground and puts the throttle at 100%.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 02:51:14 PM »
I was watching a video about her earlier.
She sounds bloody awful.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 03:01:36 PM »
I'll give her one thing, she has immediately said she'll take steps to help people struggling with energy bills.
That is a good thing, and a necessary one.
But she's doing it by basically borrowing money, effectively kicking the can down the road and hoping future generations will pick up the bill. She argues that it's a better approach than a windfall tax which would discourage companies doing business in the UK. So the argument is it will help grow the economy so overall we'll be better off. Although I suspect the "we" there is rich people, these energy companies make an insane amount of profit, they can surely afford to foot some of this bill.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 06:19:52 PM »
Two thoughts.

I've never seen such an uncharismatic leader.

The UK is in for a very difficult next few years and she'll most likely get blamed for it.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 07:29:16 PM »
I've never seen such an uncharismatic leader.
Agreed, but as cringe-inducing as she is at times, charisma isn't the metric for who will be a good PM. Boris is charismatic, but he's been a complete disaster. I value integrity and honestly far more than charisma.

The UK is in for a very difficult next few years and she'll most likely get blamed for it.
She's inherited a mess, she wanted the top job, it's up to her to sort it out. Not everything is in her control of course, but the decisions she make will affect how people's lives go over the next few years.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 07:34:06 PM »
I value integrity and honestly far more than charisma.
You're in for a disappointment either way.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 07:36:42 PM »
Boris is charismatic
I know this won't come as a surprise at this point, but wow, you and I really read people differently. Are we talking about the same person?

Anyway, my expectation is that Truss will be relatively milquetoast. She's a boring candidate that will continue pushing the Tory agenda, which is pretty shit, but I don't think she's about to be dramatically worse than Johnson or May.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll get an opposition at some point so people can start voting for not-Tories in General Elections.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 09:30:05 PM »
Boris is charismatic
I know this won't come as a surprise at this point, but wow, you and I really read people differently. Are we talking about the same person?
Ha, fair. Ok, maybe charismatic is the wrong word. Entertaining then? Charming? When Boris does a speech it’s funny and entertaining and people like it. He has an astonishing ability to defuse situations. I mean look at this. It was in the wake of him saying the thing about Muslim women looking like letterboxes. The press camp outside looking for comment, he puts on some ridiculous clothes, ruffles his hair and shuffles out with a tea tray. And look

Literally 10 seconds in she’s laughing along with him. He’s bloody brilliant at that. No one else could have stayed PM as long as he did as scandal after scandal broke.

And yes, it would be nice if we had an opposition worthy of the name. If Labour do win the next election it will only because of a collective “oh not more of this shit, let’s try something else”

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 10:44:00 PM »
The term "charisma" is a broad one.  Donald Trump I would describe as having a kind of charisma even though I personally find him to be a vile human being.  He sounds like an evil buffoon but he does effectively get a lot of attention and can hold an audience.

BillO

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 01:55:11 AM »
Yeah, charisma can take on many forms, lots of which are agressive, dangerous and malignant.  Hitler (bomb!!).

Yet it is not a requirement to be a competent world level leader.  Angela Merkel comes immediately to mind.

I hope Truss does not disappoint, or at least does not totally fuck up..   The UK needs a competent  leader for a while.  It has been without for some time.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 01:12:41 PM »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 01:48:06 PM »
Well this is all an utter shit-show.

For those of you who don't follow UK politics, in the last leadership contest it came down to Sunak vs Truss. The Conservative MPs favoured Sunak but he didn't have enough support to win outright so it went to the Tory members who voted for Truss. She came in on a ticket of low tax and high spending (stop me if you can see any flaw in that plan...). They announced a mini-budget which cut taxes for the most well off in society at a cost of £45bn to the Treasury, and no spending cuts. Unsurprisingly, the markets reacted by going "wtf?!" and the pound tanked, and kept doing so as she doubled down saying she wasn't going to do a U-turn. Then she did a U-turn, sacked the chancellor who announced the mini-budget she approved and installed a new one who almost immediately rolled back almost everything the mini-budget had done.
Then last night there was utter chaos as a vote was held with talk of some Conservative MPs being bullied into voting for the government, and the Home Secretary resigned, making it clear that Truss was the reason. Today multiple MPs said they had no confidence in her and in the end she had to resign. She's been in post 45 days, it's a new record for shortest tenure apparently.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 01:53:53 PM by AllAroundTheWorld »

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 01:56:36 PM »
And they said a woman could never break the record for shortest run at PM.

Take that patriarchy!

Online Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 03:25:58 PM »
Wow, British politics might just be more fucked up than American politics.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2022, 03:32:32 PM »
After Brexit you one upped us with Trump.
But yeah, I think we've retaken the "crown", the last year has been an astonishing mess.

Rama Set

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 04:20:00 PM »
After Brexit you one upped us with Trump.
But yeah, I think we've retaken the "crown", the last year has been an astonishing mess.

We will see for how long. Trump is staring down the barrel of multiple indictments

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »
If you elect him again in 2024 then fine, you win.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 06:43:48 PM »
The Tories have become incestuous and cannibalistic, they need a good decade or more in opposition to sort themselves out. Better yet, I hope Labour makes good on the PR manifesto vote from this year's conference and enacts it when they inevitably win the next GE. Put country before party and let in a greater plurality of voices. If we have any sense (wishful thinking?) we should all want to get well shot of giant dinosaur parties after this exclamation mark at the end of a long sentence of absolute fuckery.