Ghost of V

Bubonic Plague is back with a vengeance.
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
Chinese town sealed off after man dies of the Black Death

*hits panic button*

It's back. The dirty Chinese will kill us all. The end of days are coming. Time to move all my electronics into my underground bunker.

Re: Bubonic Plague is back with a vengeance.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
Most of us would be resistant now wouldn't we? The Chinese didn't get it back then.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
Most of us would be resistant now wouldn't we? The Chinese didn't get it back then.

As far as I know we are not safe from the bubonic plague. Although there are treatments if you catch it fast enough.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
Either way, we know how it's spread and we have antibiotics. So game over for the black plague.

Ghost of V

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »
Either way, we know how it's spread and we have antibiotics. So game over for the black plague.

Nope. We're all going to die.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 12:23:05 AM »
Well, that's a given.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:41:55 AM »
Many people with European ancestry going back to the Black Death are immune to all types of plague (Yersinia pestis infections) as well as HIV. This is because coincidentally both the bacteria and the virus attack certain types of white blood cells that don't exist in many European descendants.  Not all European descendants are immune and I don't think there are specific tests for you to find out.

Furthermore, I wouldn't count too much on antibiotics, as they are often overused in countries such as China, India, and even in the US. Various antibiotic resistant bacteria have already come out of antibiotic abuse and it's only a matter of time before many antibiotic drugs are no longer viable. The best protection against bacteria and viruses will always be good hygiene.

Ghost of V

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:16:05 AM »
Many people with European ancestry going back to the Black Death are immune to all types of plague (Yersinia pestis infections) as well as HIV. This is because coincidentally both the bacteria and the virus attack certain types of white blood cells that don't exist in many European descendants.  Not all European descendants are immune and I don't think there are specific tests for you to find out.

Furthermore, I wouldn't count too much on antibiotics, as they are often overused in countries such as China, India, and even in the US. Various antibiotic resistant bacteria have already come out of antibiotic abuse and it's only a matter of time before many antibiotic drugs are no longer viable. The best protection against bacteria and viruses will always be good hygiene.

What the hell are you talking about?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:47:54 AM »
What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about Bubonic Plague. Are you in the right thread?

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:07:19 AM »
Fuckin' biology, what is it?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »
Most of us would be resistant now wouldn't we?
No.

Many people with European ancestry going back to the Black Death are immune to all types of plague (Yersinia pestis infections) as well as HIV.
wat?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Many people with European ancestry going back to the Black Death are immune to all types of plague (Yersinia pestis infections) as well as HIV.
wat?

As much as 20% of European descendents have a damaged CCR-5 receptor on their white blood cells. Both Plague and HIV use that receptor to attack white blood cells. People with the damaged receptor are immune to Plague and some strains of HIV.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:40:10 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »
wat?

As much as 20% of European descendents have a damaged CCR-5 receptor on their white blood cells. Both Plague and HIV use that receptor to attack white blood cells. People with the damaged receptor are immune to Plague and some strains of HIV.

Ghost of V

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »
Can those resistant to HIV spread it?

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
Can those resistant to HIV spread it?

I seem to recall that they do have HIV, but it never progresses to AIDS, which would mean they would be carriers and could pass it on.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 01:25:25 AM »
I lied. The CCR-5 receptor has nothing to do with plague and you will still die a horrific death, but the HIV resistance is legit.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
The bigger question is why China would quarantine a whole city because of one case.  Bubonic plague is not transmittable from person to person.  Colorado has had 4 reported cases in the last week and nobody has quarantined them. 

Also, the plague started in China. 

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
There will be another population control event whether you like it or not. Nature likes balance.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »

We have aintibiotics for now. If the bubonic plague rears its ugly head again in 50-0 years, we're all fucked.