Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Shooting in Texas leaves 6 dead.
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:09:45 AM »
My wife was reading her Norwegian news site when she came across an article that happened today.

This is the story.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/multiple-fatalities-houston-area-shooting-24497032

So yeah, a Norwegian news paper picked up on this shooting and put it on the front page. 

Also this raises an interesting question:
Where was the good guy with a gun? 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

Re: Shooting in Texas leaves 6 dead.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:11:21 AM »
Those airlifts are deadly.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:14:12 AM »
In before the conspiracy nuts begin babbling about hoaxes and actors and psyops.

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
In before the conspiracy nuts begin babbling about hoaxes and actors and psyops.

Well, now that you mention it...

Fuck it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:33:01 AM »
guns, fuck yeah
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:53:09 AM »
A blanket-wide gun ban wouldn't work in America because the country is too damn big.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 06:59:45 AM »
Why don't we just legalize murder?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »
If Norway had their own guns, they would not have to steal our front pages.  Scabs. 

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »
Where is Foxy?
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:54:38 PM »
I know, why don't we act like civilized people and hold the person who shot these people responsible, rather than insist that somehow inanimate objects forced this man to murder people.

"It's not my fault, the gun told me to do it" is dangerously close to being a possible court defense among this age of idiots.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
If Norway had their own guns, they would not have to steal our front pages.  Scabs.

Bro, Norway knows how to massacre, too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »
I know, why don't we act like civilized people and hold the person who shot these people responsible, rather than insist that somehow inanimate objects forced this man to murder people.

"It's not my fault, the gun told me to do it" is dangerously close to being a possible court defense among this age of idiots.
We're not mad at the gun, we're mad at how easy guns make murder.  I mean, where's the effort?  There was a day when you had to literally get your hands bloody to kill multiple people quickly.  Now its just so... Impersonal.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
We're not mad at the gun, we're mad at how easy guns make murder.  I mean, where's the effort?  There was a day when you had to literally get your hands bloody to kill multiple people quickly.  Now its just so... Impersonal.

Cars make it really easy to impersonally murder a lot of people, too. Hell, we've even seen how a pressure cooker can impersonally murder many people.

No argument for banning guns as a response to violence makes any sense whatsoever.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
Are you sure he would have killed those people even if he weren't in possession of firearms?
The Mastery.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 08:52:29 PM »
Chinese people just stab as many people as they can with knives. 

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »

Cars make it really easy to impersonally murder a lot of people, too. Hell, we've even seen how a pressure cooker can impersonally murder many people.

No argument for banning guns as a response to violence makes any sense whatsoever.
Yeah but cars aren't designed to kill.
Nor are pressure cookers.

And I think a car is very personal.  You have to really aim for someone.  You feel the thump as they strike your vehicle.  You may even feel the bump as you roll over their bodies.  Plus, cars only kill from melee range.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
Cars make it really easy to impersonally murder a lot of people, too.

Can you take a car back to the shop and complain that it didn't kill anything?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 02:34:01 AM »
Are you sure he would have killed those people even if he weren't in possession of firearms?

I'm not. Are you? Unless someone here has a portal to an alternate universe in their pocket this posturing is useless.

Yeah but cars aren't designed to kill.

You sure about that?

Without a car this gun would be useless, it's too heavy. Good thing this car is here to kill people.

Nor are pressure cookers.

The evidence that they murder people proves otherwise. Furthermore, even if this were true, most guns are in fact not designed to kill people. We can argue back and forth about this all day.

And I think a car is very personal.  You have to really aim for someone.  You feel the thump as they strike your vehicle.  You may even feel the bump as you roll over their bodies.  Plus, cars only kill from melee range.

You have a very odd definition of personal.

Can you take a car back to the shop and complain that it didn't kill anything?

Huh? Who does this? You either hang out with some weirdos or you yourself are one.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:37:18 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 03:35:23 AM »

Without a car this gun would be useless, it's too heavy.
Sure, if you're a pussy airman.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 06:20:09 AM »
That looks like an M240.  I used to carry one.  Sucks to carry one all day, but people do it all the time.