Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #1480 on: November 06, 2014, 05:41:55 AM »
I recall you responding to my argument on the likelihood of the universe by simply saying "time didn't exist before the universe", which you didn't substantiate at all. Seeing as your foundation for calling people stupid relies on that notion, would you care to actually make a case for it?

As for the universe itself, it's a good thing you're not a bookie anymore, because you don't seem to grasp that extremely unlikely events do occur given a large enough set and time. Given how big the universe is, it would be more unlikely for an Earth-like planet to not exist, when we know that it's a composition that can occur naturally.

Hell, Earth is hardly even ideal. Most of it isn't habitable for humans and it routinely fucks over species with climate changes and disasters. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that planets that are even better for intelligent life than Earth already exist.

« Reply #1481 on: November 06, 2014, 05:48:01 AM »
God is the Uncreated Creator. Why do I deal with stupid questions?  One of the aspects of being "a being a greater than which cannot possibly be conceived" is to be uncreated and eternal.

I recall you responding to my argument on the likelihood of the universe by simply saying "time didn't exist before the universe", which you didn't substantiate at all. Seeing as your foundation for calling people stupid relies on that notion, would you care to actually make a case for it?

As for the universe itself, it's a good thing you're not a bookie anymore, because you don't seem to grasp that extremely unlikely events do occur given a large enough set and time. Given how big the universe is, it would be more unlikely for an Earth-like planet to not exist, when we know that it's a composition that can occur naturally.

I expect there are other Earthlike planets. Again, more proof of a Creator. Less likely that it occurred naturally.

Hell, Earth is hardly even ideal. Most of it isn't habitable for humans and it routinely fucks over species with climate changes and disasters. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that planets that are even better for intelligent life than Earth already exist.

Which again, is evidence of a Creator, who would offer planets for colonisation. I'll deal with the time argument tomorrow.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: November 06, 2014, 05:53:46 AM »
Okay, you can base your beliefs on confirmation bias all you like, but don't call others stupid for not being the same way.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: November 06, 2014, 05:56:45 AM »
As a former bookie, I can tell you myself, in spite of what people stupidly say in this forum, the odds of the Earth alone (forget about the rest of the universe) being built with just the right amount of chemicals and what-not to support life is so-far from likely that its stupid.

I thought Murphy's Law was common knowledge. If there's a one in a trillion chance of something happening, given enough time, it will happen. For example, a supernova is an apparently rare occurrence. But given the size of the universe, it's actually a common event.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: November 06, 2014, 06:43:47 AM »
If God can be uncreated and eternal why can't existence itself be?
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: November 06, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »
I can imagine a perfect universe.  One which there is no greater universe.  Therefore it is an eternal, uncreated universe.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #1486 on: November 06, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
I can imagine a perfect universe.  One which there is no greater universe.  Therefore it is an eternal, uncreated universe.

Or it could mean you are a god.

« Reply #1487 on: November 06, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »
Explain how the universe is NOT like a watch. As a former bookie, I can tell you myself, in spite of what people stupidly say in this forum, the odds of the Earth alone (forget about the rest of the universe) being built with just the right amount of chemicals and what-not to support life is so-far from likely that its stupid. I mean, you couldn't get a bookie to offer odds on that.

You mean to say that life only arises in the places that allow it? Holy fucking shit!

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: November 06, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
Explain how the universe is NOT like a watch. As a former bookie, I can tell you myself, in spite of what people stupidly say in this forum, the odds of the Earth alone (forget about the rest of the universe) being built with just the right amount of chemicals and what-not to support life is so-far from likely that its stupid. I mean, you couldn't get a bookie to offer odds on that.

Physics suggest otherwise. If it's so unlikely, why is venus almost exactly the same?
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #1489 on: November 06, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

According to an article in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences there are 8.8 billion earth-sized planets in the 'Goldilocks' zone around planets in our galaxy alone. What are the odds that ours is the only one with life?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: November 06, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
he is posting a bad argument combined with "only dum ppl don't beleve this!!!!11!" in an attempt to rev the thread back up to troll mode.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 07, 2014, 04:22:51 AM »
he is posting a bad argument combined with "only dum ppl don't beleve this!!!!11!" in an attempt to rev the thread back up to troll mode.

Welcome to the Flat Earth Society
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Ghost of V

« Reply #1492 on: November 08, 2014, 01:35:47 AM »

Why do Jews do this to their sideburns? What is the point of this fashion disaster?

« Reply #1493 on: November 08, 2014, 04:05:26 AM »
Not all of us do. However, to explain why it is done, to wit:

There is a passage in Leviticus that states that a Jew shall not cut the corners of his beard. What "the corners" are happen to be  variously interpreted by Jewish scholars. Some scholars interpret it to mean you cannot shave the sideburns, or even cut them. Other scholars interpret it to mean the corners of the beard proper. I can't really explain that without a photo, and I haven't got one. But suffice it to say that I do not grow sidelocks, which are called peyas in Yiddish. Of course, the bottom corners are pretty obvious.

Now, some Jews cheat. The Halacha (Jewish Law) specifically states that one shall not cut the beard with a straight razor. So some Jews use an electric razor, which is basically little tiny scissors that clip the hair from the face. That is why an electric shave is never as close as a straight razor shave.

Although technically permitted, it violates the spirit of the thing in my mind. And the point of having a beard in the first place is to avoid having a female appearance. So... Well, you can see where I am going with this. Anyway, that is the answer. I don't grow peyas myself. Men that do, like the fellow in the picture, have to start when they are very young. Usually, they start NOT cutting the sidelocks when they are about three or so.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: November 08, 2014, 04:18:02 AM »
And the point of having a beard in the first place is to avoid having a female appearance.

Where did you pick up this gem.

« Reply #1495 on: November 08, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »
Its part of the Holiness Code. The same code where a man is forbidden to be castrated (or for that matter, any male creature), nor wear the clothing of the opposite sex. Incidentally, this last commandment also applies to females. It is part of the same code that forbids men lying with me, that was interpreted as a broad blanket ban on homosexuality, whether rightly or wrongly, as the case may be.

« Reply #1496 on: November 08, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »
Does this mean it is forbidden for women to wear pants?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: November 08, 2014, 02:49:06 PM »
Does this mean it is forbidden for women to wear pants?
Yes but men can totally wear dresses.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: November 08, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »
The same code where a man is forbidden to be castrated (or for that matter, any male creature)

Why do you keep constantly breaking that one?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: November 08, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
The same code where a man is forbidden to be castrated (or for that matter, any male creature)

Why do you keep constantly breaking that one?
I'm not sure you know what castration is.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.