Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: wikipedia will take money from your dead relatives
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
Jimmy Wales has a networth of about $1 million. That's not a terribly large amount of money, but it's still a good chunk for someone running a non-profit beggar site. There is also no record of how he made this money. He's obviously skimming some money from the donations, which is highly illegal.

Or, you know, maybe that's his salary.

Yes, non-profit salaries. That's not an oxymoron at all.

Jimmy Wales is obviously a crook.

uh non-profit organizations have to pay their employees as well

With donation money.

Yes.

That's called stealing.

No.

Ghost of V

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2014, 10:48:27 PM »
Jimmy Wales has a networth of about $1 million. That's not a terribly large amount of money, but it's still a good chunk for someone running a non-profit beggar site. There is also no record of how he made this money. He's obviously skimming some money from the donations, which is highly illegal.

Or, you know, maybe that's his salary.

Yes, non-profit salaries. That's not an oxymoron at all.

Jimmy Wales is obviously a crook.

uh non-profit organizations have to pay their employees as well

With donation money.

Yes.

That's called stealing.

No.

Let me get this straight...

Wikipedia asks for donations annually. Gives this money to their employees (Who do... what exactly? Beg for more money), then they get volunteers to actually run their site. That's called stealing. The money should go to keeping the servers running ONLY. The bulk of wikipedia was created by unpaid volunteers.

Jimmy Wales uses the money he makes from begging to line his own pockets. That's called stealing, because he's esentially lying to people when he's asking for money.

Jimbo: "We need money to keep the servers up"

Unassuming nice-guy: "Aw. Alright. Since you guys are non-profit I will donate to keep the servers up for this great site"

Jimbo: *pockets the money for personal use"

Blanko, c'mon now. That's stealing. You know it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
ITT: Vauxhall has unearthed the ancient secret that it's possible to intentionally say dumb things to elicit reactions from people, and will abuse this power until the novelty wears off.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2014, 10:55:02 PM »
ITT: Vauxhall has unearthed the ancient secret that it's possible to intentionally say dumb things to elicit reactions from people, and will abuse this power until the novelty wears off.

I discovered that back in 2007 when I first joined this fine community.

But, by no means is that what I'm doing here. I am seriously offended by Jimmy Wales begging for money.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »
ITT: non-profit means employees are volunteers.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Ghost of V

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2014, 12:01:45 AM »
ITT: non-profit means employees are volunteers.

It should. Salary and employment implies profit.

Jimmy Wales should get a real job and stop being an internet bum.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2014, 12:06:18 AM »
Non profits require people to run them full time, abd in order to survive, people need money.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Ghost of V

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2014, 12:07:56 AM »
Non profits require people to run them full time, abd in order to survive, people need money.

Wikipedia is run by unpaid volunteers. They just need money to run the servers, not pay a team of employees to do basically nothing. They even have enough money to pay a lobbyist to spread their non-profit benevolence.

Also, if Jimmy Wales died it would have no impact on Wikipedia. This guy does nothing but talk-up his organization, and he's a millionaire because of the contributions of unpaid volunteers. It's thievery.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:12:38 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »
greed
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2014, 01:05:53 AM »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2014, 01:20:54 AM »
Anyone who asks for money or donations is a greedy cunt.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2014, 01:23:01 AM »
I have sent wikimedia an email with questions and concerns. My email reads as follows:

"Hello Wikimedia! Big long time fan here!
What do you use the donation money for exactly? Can you break down the expenses that are being paid with these donations in exact dollar amounts? Thanks!"

Now I play the waiting game.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2014, 01:28:57 AM »
You should have included the question "Aren't you in fact just a greedy cunt?".
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2014, 01:34:36 AM »
You should have included the question "Aren't you in fact just a greedy cunt?".

I work in customer service and spend a lot of time responding to emails. So I know what happens when people send these type of emails.

I will, however, include it in my follow up email.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2014, 01:43:08 AM »
That question is answered in their FAQ.

Money you donate pays for staff salaries and technology. Even though Wikipedia and its sister projects together reach 431 million people every month, we employ only 239 people; see our staff overview.

Our staff is divided into three program departments: technology (website operations, software development); legal, communications, and community advocacy (public outreach, community programs, legal defense); and learning and grantmaking (supporting chapter programs and growing Wikimedia worldwide). The remainder of our staff work in management, finance, and administration. Your support also pays for servers, bandwidth, and Internet hosting that allow us to keep Wikimedia's projects running and growing.

Above all, the Wikimedia Foundation exists to support and grow the vast network of volunteers who write and edit Wikipedia and its sister projects – more than 80,000 people around the world.

Ghost of V

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2014, 01:44:02 AM »
That question is answered in their FAQ.

Money you donate pays for staff salaries and technology. Even though Wikipedia and its sister projects together reach 431 million people every month, we employ only 239 people; see our staff overview.

Our staff is divided into three program departments: technology (website operations, software development); legal, communications, and community advocacy (public outreach, community programs, legal defense); and learning and grantmaking (supporting chapter programs and growing Wikimedia worldwide). The remainder of our staff work in management, finance, and administration. Your support also pays for servers, bandwidth, and Internet hosting that allow us to keep Wikimedia's projects running and growing.

Above all, the Wikimedia Foundation exists to support and grow the vast network of volunteers who write and edit Wikipedia and its sister projects – more than 80,000 people around the world.

It's not answered in exact dollar amounts.

And what is "technology". See, this is why I need to know exact dollar amounts and exactly what they're spending it on. That excerpt from the FAQs answers nothing.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2014, 01:48:08 AM »

That information is also publicly available. You can find it by expending the tiniest amount of effort. (hint: follow the link I just posted)

Ghost of V

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2014, 01:58:58 AM »

That information is also publicly available. You can find it by expending the tiniest amount of effort. (hint: follow the link I just posted)

Do you honestly expect me to sit down and read a 49 page .pdf document to find this information?

There is another pdf with a graph, but that graph does not give me the information I want.

Product and engineering $15,668,008
Programs and grantmaking  $4,571,662
Grants $2,791,378
General and administrative $8,158,421
Fundraising $3,807,160
Management and governance $708,167
Total $35,704,796

I don't even understand what half of this means. What products? What Programs? What does General mean? Why do they need 3mil to fund begging ("fundraising")? What does governance mean?

I could make a graph with a bunch of vague categories too, but it doesn't answer exactly what they need it for. These programs could be anything. Especially "General", that is very vague and seems like a loophole placeholder for "we're not going to tell you where this money is going". "General" costs them the second most out of all the categories too.  Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:02:52 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »
greed
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2014, 03:40:01 AM »

More like, considering Vaux's history, he is just genuinely this dumb. If he was doing this intentionally he would follow the ancient secret of what you said in my sig.

ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y