Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
PC Build
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:05:27 AM »
As I mentioned, Saddam's journey (plight) inspired me to throw a build together. I got the rest of my hardware in today and put it together tonight. It boots and picks up all drives, so I will throw an OS or two on it tomorrow. In hindsight, the video card was a bit overkill. Overall, it was an enjoyable build. Wire management took several times longer than the actual assembly of the hardware.

PARTS:

BUILD:

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
Re: PC Build
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:12:48 AM »
Wow takes a real dick to buy a computer to rub Saddam's nose in the fact he is an idiot
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:15:23 AM »
Wow takes a real dick to buy a computer to rub Saddam's nose in the fact he is an idiot

>:( That wasn't the intent at all. I've built many computers, but it has been a while. Saddam's thread just made me want to give it a go again.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:05:41 AM »
Aww yeah, AMD graphics. You should be all set to install OpenBSD on that baby. Since you have an optical drive, why not buy it on CD-ROM and support the project?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:20 AM »
>AMD graphics
>AMD CPU

I hope your smoke detectors work.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:21:25 AM »
>AMD graphics
>AMD CPU

<--- has AMD CPU, south bridge, and GPU.  Working great since 2009.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »
OpenBSD ... buy it on CD-ROM and support the project?
Why not buy Windows 8.1 and support their project? Your raging idealism has yet again caused hypocrisy in your reasoning.

@Junker - why the enormous case? You used one slot for your graphics card and almost all your drive bays appear empty. But you have given house room to a hulking great box that could easily be a computer from the 1990s. Yes, you'll claim you have room for expansion ... but you won't expand. You'll build another computer. I'll bet the psw has been bought with 'expansion' in mind and is throwing our 850W of heat as well. ::)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:12:15 AM by Dr David Thork »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:54:17 PM »
Aww yeah, AMD graphics. You should be all set to install OpenBSD on that baby. Since you have an optical drive, why not buy it on CD-ROM and support the project?
I don't care for disc media, but I will donate $20 because why not. I put the the optical drive in for when I give it to someone else, since many people use them still.

>AMD graphics
>AMD CPU

The Intel 5960X I sold to fund this build has the same TDP, so that is irrelevant. The difference between the AMD and Nvidia card I was looking at was negligble.

OpenBSD ... buy it on CD-ROM and support the project?
Why not buy Windows 8.1 and support their project? Your raging idealism has yet again caused hypocrisy in your reasoning.

@Junker - why the enormous case? You used one slot for your graphics card and almost all your drive bays appear empty. But you have given house room to a hulking great box that could easily be a computer from the 1990s. Yes, you'll claim you have room for expansion ... but you won't expand. You'll build another computer. I'll bet the psw has been bought with 'expansion' in mind and is throwing our 850W of heat as well. ::)

The plan is to install both OpenBSD and Windows. The case was a little bigger than I wanted, but it was the best priced Lian Li that had the features I wanted. The only thing I use the extra room for is wire management since I didn't get a modular PSU. I don't have any intention to expand. I don't have a real use for this computer at all.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »
I don't have any intention to expand. I don't have a real use for this computer at all.
So basically you could have sent the money you spent on it to me instead and fund my whisky purchases.
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »

I don't have any intention to expand. I don't have a real use for this computer at all.
So basically you could have sent the money you spent on it to me instead and fund my whisky purchases.

Yes, I could have.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 02:15:37 PM »
You should have.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »
The Intel 5960X I sold to fund this build has the same TDP, so that is irrelevant. The difference between the AMD and Nvidia card I was looking at was negligble.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to put a 5960X in their desktop, anyway.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:20 PM »

I can't imagine why anyone would want to put a 5960X in their desktop, anyway.

Because some people loving the bleeding edge. I got it for free so I figured it would be better to build a functional system rather than hang on to a CPU I wouldn't build a system out of anyway.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
Because some people loving the bleeding edge. I got it for free so I figured it would be better to build a functional system rather than hang on to a CPU I wouldn't build a system out of anyway.

From what I've seen of benchmarks, the extreme series of processors always do worse on any graphics heavy applications. I've only ever seen them be better at CPU heavy functions and even then they were only marginally better (~5%) than the i7 k series that cost half the amount. Most applications don't even know what to do with eight cores.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 04:10:11 PM »
i do need a new computer

ship this one to me when you"re done with it and ill even pay for postage>
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »
i do need a new computer

ship this one to me when you"re done with it and ill even pay for postage>

I'll consider it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 04:34:27 PM »
No, send it to me so I can sell it and get money for whisky
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »
No, send it to me so I can sell it and get money for whisky

No.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »
Why are you denying me whisky?  :(
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »
It's not a real PC build if you don't have a legendary heatsink.