Rama Set

Laptop Advice
« on: June 17, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »
So I am looking to buy a laptop, preferably in the $300 range, but can go higher, just not sure how high yet.  I need it to run Quickbooks Pro 2015 and that is about it aside from some excel and interwebs... And Neverwinter Nights. Here are the system requirements for Quickbooks:

2.4 GHz processor minimum
2 GB RAM minimum
4x CD-ROM drive required for CD installations
Display optimized for 1024 x 768 screen resolution or higher with up to 2 Extended monitors
Best optimized for Default DPI setting (96 DPI or 100%). Additionally, medium DPI (120 DPI or 110%) is supported to ensure an optimal experience for 110% scaling.
2.5 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files)
Additional software: 250 MB for Microsoft .NET 4.0 Runtime, provided on the QuickBooks CD
Additional requirements  for Intuit Data Protect in QuickBooks Connected Services offerings
Require minimum 2.0 GB Ram
Twice the size of the largest File set to back up + 100MB or twice the size to restore. The space is only required from the work folder LocalApplicationData+”Intuit\Intuit Data Protect"

Any recommendations on where to look and which manufacturer(s) might suit me best?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 03:57:40 AM »
Buy a second-hand ThinkPad on eBay. They're some of the most reliable laptops out there, but they're pretty expensive to buy new from Lenovo (like 4-5 times your stated price range). I have an X201 I got from eBay, and aside from only having VGA in the way of video output, it's pretty sexy.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Rama Set

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 04:32:41 AM »
I am taking your advice. I ordered a second hand X201 with an i5 560M processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD. Came in at 200CAD including shipping. Can't wait to get it and thanks!  Hope I didn't get ripped off!

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:56:36 AM »
I am taking your advice. I ordered a second hand X201 with an i5 560M processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD. Came in at 200CAD including shipping. Can't wait to get it and thanks!  Hope I didn't get ripped off!

Pretty much the same configuration as mine, except mine came with an HDD, which I then replaced with an SSD anyway because I'm a badass like that. Enjoy.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »

Pretty much the same configuration as mine, except mine came with an HDD, which I then replaced with an SSD anyway because I'm a badass like that. Enjoy.

I will run Quickbooks like a mofo.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
I can't even tell what malware I have. What is the next step before reformatting?

So I am looking to buy a laptop

lol

I have an ASUS. They seem to be very reliable and good on price.

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
I received the following message from my eBay seller:

I hope you enjoy your new laptop, that model is one of my favorite models. I am contacting you to let you know about a known issue with this model that has been raised to my attention by a coworker of mine. The physical WiFi switch on these laptops is known to wear down very quickly and will eventually permanently disable your WiFi card.

Should I be concerned?  Is a wifi switch something that can be replaced relatively easily?  It was a fairly disheartening message.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 06:12:23 PM »
Should I be concerned?  Is a wifi switch something that can be replaced relatively easily?  It was a fairly disheartening message.

I didn't even know they had a physical WiFi switch. I generally rely on the operating system to do the right thing with my networking. It's probably not a huge deal.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 06:14:45 PM »
The answer to that question will vary massively between models, so I can't easily answer it. But, to offer some solace, if it does wear off and you find it's not easy to repair, you can always just buy a USB Wi-Fi dongle. They're cheap, and while losing a USB port to accommodate it might be an inconvenience, it's not the end of the world.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 10:24:06 PM »
I received the following message from my eBay seller:

I hope you enjoy your new laptop, that model is one of my favorite models. I am contacting you to let you know about a known issue with this model that has been raised to my attention by a coworker of mine. The physical WiFi switch on these laptops is known to wear down very quickly and will eventually permanently disable your WiFi card.

Prehistoric laptops used to have wifi switches, but you can easily just switch it on or off with Windows, or whichever OS you're using. The wifi radio problem might be a concern, but you can get a usb wifi dongle at most electronics stores for around $10 if it goes out.

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »
I got my X201 on Thursday.  It was a busy day, and I was travelling Friday and visiting family on Saturday so I did not have much of a chance to poke around, but here I am now!

I was surprised to find that it did not come with a power cord so I had to go to Staples to get one and it increased the cost by 25%.  More of a tribute to how cheap this was than anything.  It is my first experience with booting my OS from an SSD and I have to say, wow was that fast.  What a pleasure.  I am really happy with the size and weight, as I will need to cart it around on my bike a lot of times and it is very compact.  Just finished downloading all the software I want at this time (Chrome, iTunes, Quickbooks and Neverwinter Nights) and I still have 81GBs free.  After my experience with downloading torrents on my windows port last time, I think I will stick to netflix or download them on my iMac and move files over via usb stick or dropbox.

Can't wait to see how it runs Quickbooks, which is a bit of a resource hog, and to see if it can run NWN well at the same time.

Thanks for your help all.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »
Did you remember to replace Windows 8 with a better OS?
The Mastery.

Offline Misero

• Evidence, Evidence, Evidence, and more Evidence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »
My god, Windows 8. On a windows 7 laptop, I ran it for 2 years with only 4 gigabytes of RAM with no lag at all. Windows 8, same laptop, same specs, now takes half an hour to boot. Upgrade to windows 7 if you have it.
Nobody should ever follow my standard.  I am the worst moderator ever.
Yes, I'll still keep that in mind on this forum too.

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
Did you remember to replace Windows 8 with a better OS?
My god, Windows 8. On a windows 7 laptop, I ran it for 2 years with only 4 gigabytes of RAM with no lag at all. Windows 8, same laptop, same specs, now takes half an hour to boot. Upgrade to windows 7 if you have it.
It came with Windows 7 installed. Windows 8 is somehow run by hamsters in a wheel.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 02:37:14 AM »
That's weird. Windows 8 and 8.1 were designed primarily with tablets and laptops in mind. Every computer I've messed around with that had Windows 8 on it ran very well. Heck, it ran pretty fluidly on this 7 inch tablet I was using at Best Buy.