Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Total Lunar Eclipse
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »
It sound like you have admitted that there are patterns in each series to itself, but that you were unable, for whatever the cause, to use that same pattern for another series.

Since you were able to find a pattern in the series, and that each series has patterns that predict what the future will be in that series, it seems to me the claim is verified.

I imagine that a good mathematician could find some sort of pattern between the first entry of series 1, 2, 3, etc, until they repeat again. In fact, since the eclipses repeat, we know that the first entry of series 2 will repeat, if we go through them all in sequential border, so there must be a pattern in some manner.

3.. 78000... 23... 4... 78001... is a pattern.
Incorrect. I was unable to determine a workable pattern even for an individual series either. I.E. I could not find a way to construct an equation using any number of the first half or so of the set, that would then give me the numbers/information for the rest of the set. Is it possible that I would need to use the equation of a set, adjusted for the starting information in another set, and then I might be able to formulate decent ideas for what the rest of that second set contains? Yes. But I have at present been unable to do so. Although I also lack tools that would make that feasible in any kind of shorter time frame, and I'm not going to spend months going over these cycles on the chance I can make something work.

So because you can't do it, no one can, and therefore the claim is busted. I see.

Can you show us the solution to the Three Body Problem that this is based on?

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2019, 05:13:11 PM »
It sound like you have admitted that there are patterns in each series to itself, but that you were unable, for whatever the cause, to use that same pattern for another series.

Since you were able to find a pattern in the series, and that each series has patterns that predict what the future will be in that series, it seems to me the claim is verified.

I imagine that a good mathematician could find some sort of pattern between the first entry of series 1, 2, 3, etc, until they repeat again. In fact, since the eclipses repeat, we know that the first entry of series 2 will repeat, if we go through them all in sequential border, so there must be a pattern in some manner.

3.. 78000... 23... 4... 78001... is a pattern.
Incorrect. I was unable to determine a workable pattern even for an individual series either. I.E. I could not find a way to construct an equation using any number of the first half or so of the set, that would then give me the numbers/information for the rest of the set. Is it possible that I would need to use the equation of a set, adjusted for the starting information in another set, and then I might be able to formulate decent ideas for what the rest of that second set contains? Yes. But I have at present been unable to do so. Although I also lack tools that would make that feasible in any kind of shorter time frame, and I'm not going to spend months going over these cycles on the chance I can make something work.

So because you can't do it, no one can, and therefore the claim is busted. I see.
I mean, can you present the equation that can be used? You're the claimant here that this is all based on simple patterns. I've done the best I can with the resources I have. I cannot figure out how to work out the durations from what I would call first principles, and you've offered nothing to assist. I'll revise to say I find it improbable it's entirely based on simply repeating patterns, but I'm not gonna spend more time on it unless I can locate CSV files for the Saros Cycles, and preferably some useful information on integrating them.

How does this have any relevance to whether you or I can work out an equation based on the information provided by the Saros Cycles?

Offline JCM

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »
Tom likes to say it’s just patterns to predict eclipses both solar and lunar except he is missing the enormous flaw in FE wiki.  FET can’t even explain phases of the moon as seen for the entirety of the Earth.  Tom show me a diagram where a full moon (which is only time lunar eclipses happen) is even possible to be seen for everyone who can see the moon.

This is so incredibly basic that having this discussion about a relatively rare events compared to the daily events that FET has no explanation for is a little silly.

This isn’t even getting into Solar eclipses where the Moon would have to follow the same increasing and decreasing distances of the FE Sun and neither of those things happen by simple observation verified by their speeds not changing every single day.

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »
Tom likes to say it’s just patterns to predict eclipses both solar and lunar except he is missing the enormous flaw in FE wiki.  FET can’t even explain phases of the moon as seen for the entirety of the Earth.  Tom show me a diagram where a full moon (which is only time lunar eclipses happen) is even possible to be seen for everyone who can see the moon.

This is so incredibly basic that having this discussion about a relatively rare events compared to the daily events that FET has no explanation for is a little silly.

This isn’t even getting into Solar eclipses where the Moon would have to follow the same increasing and decreasing distances of the FE Sun and neither of those things happen by simple observation verified by their speeds not changing every single day.
FE perspective 'explains' the full moon thing. It sort of works, but I don't personally feel there's any evidence for it that doesn't rely on the preliminary assumption of the Earth being flat.

TBH there's a reason I was far more interested in poking at Lunar Eclipses. FE doesn't even have a map to use for the prediction of Solar Eclipse locations. I wasn't going to even think about digging into all of the issues there unless I could find a way to reliably/easily make predictions for the duration of Lunar Eclipses work. But I'm trying to figure them out using the base data, and it's not as easy as I was hopeful for tbh.

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2019, 09:56:07 PM »

Straw-man fallacy - you're attacking someone who is not part of the conversation. We cannot show you the solution to the Three Body Problem that this is based on, because we are not privy to that information. I can however provide you with many case solutions to 3-Body Problems and well as a method to mostly solve the Sun-Earth-Moon problem, it's only failure being the inability to provide perfect values into the infinite future.

Known solutions to 3-Body Problems:

In 1767, Leonhard Euler found three families of periodic solutions in which the three masses are collinear at each instant.
In 1772, Lagrange found a family of solutions in which the three masses form an equilateral triangle at each instant.
In work summarized in 1892–1899, Henri Poincaré established the existence of an infinite number of periodic solutions to the restricted three-body problem.
In 1911, William Duncan MacMillan found one special solution and in 1961, Sitnikov improved this solution, to the Sitnikov problem.
In 1967 Victor Szebehely and coworkers established eventual escape for the Pythagorean three-body problem using numerical integration, while at the same time finding a nearby periodic solution.
In the 1970s, Michel Hénon and Roger A. Broucke each found a set of solutions that form part of the same family of solutions: the Broucke–Henon–Hadjidemetriou family.
In 1993, a solution with three equal masses moving around a figure-eight shape was discovered by physicist Cris Moore.
In 2013, physicists Milovan Šuvakov and Veljko Dmitrašinović at the Institute of Physics in Belgrade discovered 13 new families of solutions for the equal-mass zero-angular-momentum three-body problem.

The general case of the three-body problem does not have a known solution and is addressed by numerical analysis approximations.

In many cases such a system can be factorized, considering the movement of the complex system (planet and satellite) around a star as a single particle; then, considering the movement of the satellite around the planet, neglecting the movement around the star. In this case, the problem is simplified to two instances of the two-body problem. The effect of the star on the movement of the satellite around the planet can then be considered as a perturbation. The general statement for this three-body problem is as follows.

At an instant in time, for vector positions xi and masses mi, three coupled second-order differential equations:

x ¨ 1 = − G m 2( x 1 − x 2/ | x 1 − x 2 | 3 )− G m 3( x 1 − x 3/ | x 1 − x 3 | 3)
x ¨ 2 = − G m 3 (x 2 − x 3 /| x 2 − x 3 | 3 )− G m 1 (x 2 − x 1 /| x 2 − x 1 | 3)
x ¨ 3 = − G m 1 (x 3 − x 1 /| x 3 − x 1 | 3 )− G m 2 (x 3 − x 2 /| x 3 − x 2 | 3)

The time evolution of the system is believed to be chaotic. The use of computers, however, makes solutions of arbitrarily high accuracy over a finite time span possible using numerical methods for integration of the trajectories.

[reference: Wikipedia]

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2019, 06:51:56 AM »
I mean, can you present the equation that can be used? You're the claimant here that this is all based on simple patterns. I've done the best I can with the resources I have. I cannot figure out how to work out the durations from what I would call first principles, and you've offered nothing to assist. I'll revise to say I find it improbable it's entirely based on simply repeating patterns, but I'm not gonna spend more time on it unless I can locate CSV files for the Saros Cycles, and preferably some useful information on integrating them.

How does this have any relevance to whether you or I can work out an equation based on the information provided by the Saros Cycles?

Just look at what NASA provides.

Image from https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsaros/SEsaros.html

Direct link to larger image: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsaros/image/SEpanoramaGvdB-big.JPG

Do you see any patterns here? The patterns in the above image are graphical and apparent. To continue the pattern one only needs to perform the same two right and four down pattern, or whatever it might be. No equations are necessary.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:55:33 AM by Tom Bishop »

shootingstar

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
With respect to all this fascinating stuff about patterns and Saros Cycles etc and their ability to predict lunar eclipses or not, how does this influence any support for or against the shape and form of the Earth?  Patterns exists all over the place in nature. Both on Earth and beyond it.   Sunspots appear and disappear in regular cycles and patterns. The Butterfly diagram for example.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2019, 09:31:50 AM »

Direct link to larger image: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsaros/image/SEpanoramaGvdB-big.JPG

Do you see any patterns here? The patterns in the above image are graphical and apparent. To continue the pattern one only needs to perform the same two right and four down pattern, or whatever it might be. No equations are necessary.

I'm not sure what this has to do with showing the solution to the Three Body Problem you keep asking about. Maybe nothing. I don't know.

Yeah, I see 'patterns'-ish, but not something as seemingly simple, anecdotally, that you can just keep going X over and Y down. Seems way more complicated than that.

From the same source there seem to be calculations involved here, not just 'patterns'. You can look at Luca Quaglia's CSV file here: http://eclipsewise.com/solar/SEhelp/SEpanorama.html

"Saros-Inex panorama has been produced by Luca Quaglia and John Tilley in the form of a Microsoft Excel file. It shows 61775 solar eclipses from -11000 to +15000 organised by Saros and Inex Series. The Saros go down the columns and the Inex across the rows. This panorama is based on that of Prof G. van den Bergh in his classic work Periodicity and Variation of Solar (and Lunar) Eclipses.

The calculation of eclipse dates and Besselian elements was done by Luca Quaglia, using the core of the numerical integrator Solex, which was kindly supplied by Professor Aldo Vitagliano, and was used as the basis of Luca's own integrator."

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsaros/SEpanorama.html

Offline Bad Puppy

• Belief does not make something a theory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2019, 12:14:16 PM »

An apparent pattern can't just be continued by guessing that it's 2 across and 4 down (or whatever). That's guessing a trend. Over time inaccuracies will be apparent.

Patterns are everywhere. Like in space. Galaxies containing suns, planets orbiting those suns, moons orbiting those planets, all spheroid.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
...circles do not exist and pi is not 3.14159...

Quote from: totallackey
Do you have any evidence of reality?

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »

I see the appearance of a pattern, but no usable pattern that repeats itself, PLUS none of this helps indicate the DURATION of any of these occurrences. Which is what I have been moreso attempting to work with. If you can manage to find an actual pattern in this chart feel free to point it out. All I see is yet more evidence that a usable pattern/equation that you can use for more than one cycle, or construct with the first half of a cycle to predict the second half, is unlikely to exist. The human mind is great at trying to put together a pattern out of randomness. I hypothesize that's all that's going on when we're looking at the chart.That there isn't actually a pattern here, just the appearance that there *should* be one. Feel free to prove me wrong though. I'll happily attempt to apply anything you come up with against other sets of Saros cycles and report back.

Offline JCM

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »

Look at the scale of that image.  One step horizontally is 29 years...  Where does it say when, where, how long?  Blow that “pattern” up with exact times to the minute for past history and that image looks much less useful for predicting. The exact location on the planet that the total and partial solar eclipses are viewable to the minute...

You haven’t shown how that is possible with a pattern or shown how the ancients could predict when and where these events (particularly solar eclipses) occur considering in one region of the world they would miss the majority of the solar eclipses.  How would they make a pattern able to predict anything while missing the majority of the data?

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »
Mathematical solution to the restricted 3 body problem of the Saros period.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1806-11172009000100003

To summarize, this is the mathematical solution to the pattern of Saros cycle, using the measured values of inclination to the ecliptic, sidereal year & month, synodic, draconic & anomalistic month (Table 1) and Astronomical constants (Table 2) with a result within .02% accuracy.

This is both a solution to the pattern of the Saros cycle which it self is a visual representation of a 3 body problem. So yes there is a pattern and yes there is a restricted 3 body problem solution to describe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2019, 09:47:47 PM »

To summarize, this is the mathematical solution to the pattern of Saros cycle, using the measured values of inclination to the ecliptic, sidereal year & month, synodic, draconic & anomalistic month (Table 1) and Astronomical constants (Table 2) with a result within .02% accuracy.

This is both a solution to the pattern of the Saros cycle which it self is a visual representation of a 3 body problem. So yes there is a pattern and yes there is a restricted 3 body problem solution to describe it.

There is not a Three Body Problem solution for the Sun-Earth-Moon system. Feel free to point out the figures for the mass of the earth, the mass of the moon, the mass of the sun, the distance from the earth to the sun, or the distance from the earth to the moon in that article. The Three Body Problem solutions only work if the masses of the objects are the same.

That paper is using dimensional analysis of some abstraction of circles going around circles to find the "synodic, the draconic, and the anomalistic months," not even the timing of the saros cycle.

Further, feel free to point out those types of equations on NASA's eclipse website: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse.html

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »

There is not a Three Body Problem solution for the Sun-Earth-Moon system. Feel free to point out the figures for the mass of the earth, the mass of the moon, the mass of the sun, the distance from the earth to the sun, or the distance from the earth to the moon in that article. The Three Body Problem solutions only work if the masses of the objects are the same.

That paper is using dimensional analysis of some abstraction of circles going around circles to find the "synodic, the draconic, and the anomalistic months," not even the timing of the saros cycle.

Further, feel free to point out those types of equations on NASA's eclipse website: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse.html

Not sure about Three Body equations and I'm not sure why we always get hung up on that when talking about eclipses. But referencing the link you provided, if you dig deeper, they explain how the data are derived. Via Fred Espenak 'Fifty Year Canon of Solar Eclipses: 1986 - 2035’

"The Fifty Year Canon of Solar Eclipses: 1986 - 2035 is composed of four major sections and two appendices. Section 1 is a catalog which lists the general characteristics of every solar eclipse from 1901 through 2100. Section 2 presents a detailed set of cylindrical projection world maps which show the umbral paths of every solar eclipse from 1901 through 2100. Section 3 gives geodetic path coordinates and local circumstances on the center line for every central eclipse from 1986 through 2035. Finally, section 4 consists of a series of orthographic projection maps which show the regions of visibility of both partial and central phases for every solar eclipse from 1986 through 2035. Appendix A provides some general background on solar eclipses and covers eclipse geometry, eclipse frequency and recurrence, modern eclipse prediction, geometry of the umbral shadow and time determination. Appendix B is a listing of a very simple Fortran program which can be used to predict the occurrence and general characteristics of solar eclipses. It makes use of many approximations while maintaining a reasonable level of accuracy and reliability. The program is based on algorithms devised by Meeus [1982] and the ample comments should make the program self- explanatory.”

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEpubs/RP1178.html

If you look at Meeus’ ‘Astronomical Algorithms’, Espenak's reference, it’s chock full of calculations, not patterns, per se.

Offline Bad Puppy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2019, 02:08:24 AM »

Not sure about Three Body equations and I'm not sure why we always get hung up on that when talking about eclipses.

Because no logical flat earth explanation for lunar eclipses has been provided as of yet, and Tom insists on changing the subject to the 3 body problem right from the very beginning of the thread.  Are there any other flat earthers that care to chime in about the thread's original questions?  The Saros cycle and 3BP are clearly straw man arguments in this context.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2019, 02:23:19 AM »
The Saros Cycle and the issue of the Three Body Problem are pretty pertinent:

You have no model. You guys are stealing your methods for astronomical prediction from ancient civilizations who believed in a Flat Earth and who had no geometic model of their cosmos. It's all pattern-based.

Offline Bad Puppy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2019, 03:10:12 AM »
The Saros Cycle and the issue of the Three Body Problem are pretty pertinent:

You have no model. You guys are stealing your methods for astronomical prediction from ancient civilizations who believed in a Flat Earth and who had no geometic model of their cosmos. It's all pattern-based.

My original question:

According to https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2019-january-21, at the moment of the peak of the eclipse, the entire blood moon will be visible at the same moment from all of North America, South America, some western countries in Africa, Ireland, Norway, and parts of Russia.

How is this possible on a flat earth for all of these places to observe this event at the same time in its entirety?

The lunar eclipse is a shadow on the moon and will be visible to anyone who can see the moon.

What's the source of the shadow?

Probably a satellite of the sun that is in the daylight area.

And you left it at that.  So Tom, what is this satellite of the sun that is in the daylight area that is producing a shadow on the moon?  These were your words, so back them up with evidence.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2019, 03:21:59 AM »
The phenomenon of the Lunar Eclipse is evidence that something is casting a shadow on it. If the light from the moon is coming from the sun, that body must be somwhere between the path of the moon and the sun. Since we can't see any body at night, it must be on the day side.

The Three Body Problem provides evidence that the Sun-Earth-Moon system as suggested by astronomy can't actually work. Therefore that cannot be the explanation.

Offline Bad Puppy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2019, 04:41:56 AM »
The phenomenon of the Lunar Eclipse is evidence that something is casting a shadow on it. If the light from the moon is coming from the sun, that body must be somwhere between the path of the moon and the sun. Since we can't see any body at night, it must be on the day side.

The Three Body Problem provides evidence that the Sun-Earth-Moon system as suggested by astronomy can't actually work. Therefore that cannot be the explanation.

You're correct that there must be something between the path of the moon and the sun.  In the round earth, it's the earth that's between the moon and the sun.  Because we see and know the path the moon takes around the earth, and the path the earth takes around the sun.

So, let me try to do this slowly.....just to get it right.  Correct me if I'm wrong...

A) Since the eclipse will be visible at night, the sun will be on the day time side of the flat earth...
B) The moon will be visible, so logically it must be closer than the sun and observable by the night time side of the world...
C) The object you say is casting the shadow is between the sun and the moon and is in the daylight area...

Q1) How is this shadow cast in such a way as to appear on the surface of the moon opposite the sun only to be seen by those on the night side of the earth?
Q2) Has this satellite of the sun been observed to exist by your zetetic methods, or is it an assumption with no evidence?

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2019, 06:49:09 PM »
Of course if there's a body that's blocking the sun's rays from hitting the moon and it's not the earth then it would be completely lit by the sun and would be visible from the earth, as it has to be above it somewhere between the sun and moon.  Yes, you could see it during the daylight hours.  I've often seen the moon during daylight hours when the sun was up.

Additionally,  that body would have to be lit by the sun's rays at other times that the moon is not in eclipse.  If it's not, then where did it go?

Since no one has ever reported seeing a body like that in thousands of years, you can assume that there isn't one up there. 

Hence, it's a crash & burn for that theory.  Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:51:53 PM by RonJ »
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!