Flat Earth maps?
« on: December 20, 2021, 08:35:54 AM »
I'm arguing with some Catholics on another forum about Flat Earth, and I'd like to know if there are any well-accepted, accurate maps of Flat Earth.
There is so much I don't know, as I just started looking into Flat Earth recently (and yes, quite convinced, as you'd expect).
I'm just not an expert yet, enough to answer peoples' stupid questions and through argumentation take away their security blanket (globe earth) that they're clinging to so fiercely.

Thank you,

Matthew

Online AATW

• View Profile
Re: Flat Earth maps?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:23:28 AM »
Out of interest, why are you convinced about FE when there is no agreed upon map?
The RE response to this is that an accurate FE Map cannot be made because the earth isn't flat, so any map of the whole earth has to be projected from the surface of a sphere to a plane. No perfect projection can be done, so all map projections contain some distortion.
Were the earth flat a map could be made which represents the whole earth accurately. I haven't seen a map which does that.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

SteelyBob

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 09:56:10 AM »
I'm arguing with some Catholics on another forum about Flat Earth, and I'd like to know if there are any well-accepted, accurate maps of Flat Earth.
There is so much I don't know, as I just started looking into Flat Earth recently (and yes, quite convinced, as you'd expect).
I'm just not an expert yet, enough to answer peoples' stupid questions and through argumentation take away their security blanket (globe earth) that they're clinging to so fiercely.

Thank you,

Matthew

You should wade into the wiki on this site to understand what the maps are proposed to be. But while you’re there, note that no one particular map is held up as the correct version, and note also that despite this being a debating forum, you never see two FE people debating which map might be correct. That is, i suspect, because this is T about a genuine inquiry into the shape of the world, but rather a club, or religion, who’s membership is defined by believing in FE - whatever layout that may be.

Implicit in believing in FE is the belief that our current understanding of the distances between known places is wrong. Everything from the distance from your house to the shops, to a flight across the Atlantic - they are all wrong, to varying degrees, if you believe in FE. But oddly, again, you never ever see FE proponents trying to measure distances between places to figure out where we’ve got it wrong. If they were genuinely interested, and in possession of such a monumental truth, they would be all over this stuff.

But they aren’t, and there’s a reason for that.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 09:56:49 AM »
Well, as I told others on another forum:

If the model needs a bit of work to bring it to a fine polish, that is to be expected.

What % of our science dollars and man-hours is being WASTED on Evolution, finding "the origins of the universe", "origins of mankind", "dark matter", alien life, and countless other nonsense? All that time and money is literally WASTED which leaves true science extremely impoverished and ignored.

There is no money -- no resources left -- for true science to be done.

True science is only being done part-time by amateurs now -- just like media reporting. All the "professionals" are shills chasing a paycheck, who will say ANYTHING on camera their bosses tell them to. There is no investigative reporting outside a few lower-budget alternative news channels -- little more than vloggers or youtubers.

If the rag-tag group of underdogs called "Flat Earth Truthers" haven't managed to create a great Flat Earth map YET -- maybe they have families, day jobs, and other obligations, and can't dedicate their whole life to this hobby -- that isn't a dealbreaker.

What IS certain and a complete dealbreaker for the mainstream paradigm (globe earth, moving earth) is NASA being caught in lies hundreds of times.
And being able to see WAY TO FAR for a globe earth to be our reality.
Also, water seeks its own level. Water doesn't ever bulge anywhere, on a macro OR micro scale. It is always flat and level.
Spinning balls tend to SHAKE OFF water, not hold it fast.

And how can "gravity" keep a death grip on millions of tons of water on the bottom of the globe, yet it will let a helium ballon "go", no problem.

Why does gravity SOMETIMES hold things fast like a death grip, and other times cause things to orbit it? It seems to me, you can't have it both ways.

Those are some of the most convincing arguments for FE I can think of right now -- but there are others.

SteelyBob

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 10:59:11 AM »
Well, as I told others on another forum:

If the model needs a bit of work to bring it to a fine polish, that is to be expected.

But it can’t be polished, that’s the problem. There is no way you can represent our current surveyed world on a flat map without distorting distances. That means that either a) the world is indeed the round shape we think it is, or b) the world is flat and our knowledge of distances is completely wrong. If it’s b), show me the wrong distances please.

What % of our science dollars and man-hours is being WASTED on Evolution, finding "the origins of the universe", "origins of mankind", "dark matter", alien life, and countless other nonsense? All that time and money is literally WASTED which leaves true science extremely impoverished and ignored.

There is no money -- no resources left -- for true science to be done.

True science is only being done part-time by amateurs now -- just like media reporting. All the "professionals" are shills chasing a paycheck, who will say ANYTHING on camera their bosses tell them to. There is no investigative reporting outside a few lower-budget alternative news channels -- little more than vloggers or youtubers.

If the rag-tag group of underdogs called "Flat Earth Truthers" haven't managed to create a great Flat Earth map YET -- maybe they have families, day jobs, and other obligations, and can't dedicate their whole life to this hobby -- that isn't a dealbreaker.

What IS certain and a complete dealbreaker for the mainstream paradigm (globe earth, moving earth) is NASA being caught in lies hundreds of times.

Whilst I don’t share your views on NASA (it’s always NASA, isn’t it, as if other countries and organisations aren’t involved in space…), the great thing is that you can verify the shape of the earth yourself, and you can falsify the FE claims yourself, without needing to trust large organisations and governments.

Discussed earlier. Any calculation or experiment that ignores refraction can be instantly dismissed as garbage.

Also, water seeks its own level. Water doesn't ever bulge anywhere, on a macro OR micro scale. It is always flat and level.

The earth is spinning, so yes, there is a slight ‘shake it off’ effect. It is easy to do the maths. If you crunch the numbers, the effect of the earth’s rotation is a slight (1% or thereabouts) reduction in g at the equator. Measurable, but small. That’s why the water isn’t shaken off. It’s not surprising if you think about it - yes a spinning ball would shake off water…but try spinning a ball at 15 degrees per hour…

And how can "gravity" keep a death grip on millions of tons of water on the bottom of the globe, yet it will let a helium ballon "go", no problem.

Why does gravity SOMETIMES hold things fast like a death grip, and other times cause things to orbit it? It seems to me, you can't have it both ways.

Helium balloons are less dense than the air around them. Gravity does act in the helium, but it also acts on the air around it - just like oil on water. The balloon behaves exactly as one would expect it to, as does the ISS, and indeed every other orbiting body.

Those are some of the most convincing arguments for FE I can think of right now -- but there are others.

They aren’t convincing at all, I’m afraid. They are reasonable questions to ask, but when shown the answers, you have to reassess your own views.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 10:59:37 AM »
Which is fair, but the fact that every proposed map has errors in the known sizes and shapes of land masses and distances between places should give you pause.
Most of the rest of your post is you simply not understanding basic physics. To go through it quickly:

Can you give an example of this?
Can you give an example of this? As I said in another thread, the examples I've seen are people doing their maths wrong, not accounting for refraction properly or simply misidentifying distant landmarks.
Demonstrably not true on the micro scale - see water drops. On the macro scale, if that's true then why do ships disappear bottom first below the horizon as they go out to sea? What are they going behind?
This is you not understanding angular velocity. If there's a ball with a thin film of water on it try rotating it at an angular speed of one rotation per 24 hours, see how much water shakes off.
It's because there are millions of tons of water. The force of gravity is proportional to mass. A helium balloon has a very low mass, and the helium is less dense than air makes it buoyant. Same principle with hot air balloons, they only rise when the air inside is heated such that the density is low enough to make it bouyant.
You can if you understand about forces balancing. An orbiting satellite is subject to gravity but it's also going fast enough horizontally that as it "falls" the earth curves away from it. If you get the speed right it will stay at the same altitude relative to the ground. And because it's in a vacuum there's no air-resistance to slow it down so it just keeps going round. Although that isn't strictly 100% true, space isn't a perfect vacuum so over time it does slow a little which is why satellites do end up falling back to earth, or they have to be occasionally boosted to account for this.
Sorry dude, but none of those are arguments for FE, they're simply you not understanding physics
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 11:01:32 AM by AllAroundTheWorld »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 12:49:21 PM »
So far, I've encountered 2 active members on this forum. Both apparent zealots for Globe Earth.

I have an honest question:

Are there any "Flat Earth" proponents on this "Flat Earth Society" forum?

This forum seems to be improperly named. It should be "Globe Earth Society". At least according to my experience so far, which is admittedly limited.

Did all the FE supporters get weary of the constant arguments and leave, or what? Seriously, the forum seems to have been taken over.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 02:09:02 PM »
The are billions of millions of tons of water in the ocean. 1.45x10^21 kg. Plus they’ve gained another nine million million tons from melting of ice sheets since the 60’s.

But that’s all a drop in the bucket compared to the earth’s 5.9x10^24 kg mass. And because of its size, that means that all that water amounts to little more than a thin skin around it. Similar in comparison to the amount of water that would stick to a basketball after submerging it in a bucket of water 🤷🏼‍♂️

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »
I'd like to know if there are any well-accepted, accurate maps of Flat Earth.

There is, but it has not been generally implemented because, unfortunately, despite all the airlines in the world, there is not one that employs anyone smart enough to figure it out: https://disk.yandex.com/i/RAPR57pE0o6GTg

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 03:37:48 PM »

Lots of us have families and obligations.  Until I retired recently I had a day-job, and occasional night jobs, for 50 years. 

The majority of people of all viewpoints work, they have computers, they have hobbies and they travel on vacation. 

On your computer?  Follow a flight- or shipping-tracking site.  Look at where they are going, and the routes they are taking.  See how fast the aircraft are travelling, and correlate that with the claimed distance. 

Taking a flight on holiday?  How far is it claimed to be by the Round-Earth media and NASA?  The cruising speeds of airliners are well known.  What route are they claiming to take?  Look out the window and verify it yourself.  Time the flight. 

Claiming that FE'ers have no facility for research is an utter cop-out. 

SteelyBob

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 10:26:04 PM »
So far, I've encountered 2 active members on this forum. Both apparent zealots for Globe Earth.

This forum seems to be improperly named. It should be "Globe Earth Society". At least according to my experience so far, which is admittedly limited.

Did all the FE supporters get weary of the constant arguments and leave, or what? Seriously, the forum seems to have been taken over.

Interesting that, when confronted with reasonable rebuttals to your points, you chose to pivot into a criticism of why there weren’t more people like you on the forum, rather than engaging with the specific points made.

Do you agree with the points that AATW and I made? Or not? If not, why not?

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 02:10:55 AM »

You've encountered and read satanic gibberish. The earth is flat as explained by God in the Bible. You shouldn't play around here unless you're well armed and blast the truth of Jesus our Savior.The demons here will play games with you and spew fake science. Satan is everywhere, you're outnumbered, hold strong to your beliefs and laugh at them just before SWISH --->>>>>>>>  the righteous blade slays them.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 07:43:23 AM »
The earth is flat as explained by God in the Bible.
Or maybe you don’t understand the Bible correctly. Given all the easily verifiable evidence which shows the earth isn’t flat.
I assume you go to church, do all the people there believe the earth is flat? If not are they all wrong?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 08:46:33 AM »
What makes you think this forum would be exclusively populated by FE'ers? The whole point of a discussion forum is to have two sides for a discussion.

If you're looking for a FE echo chamber, Twitter is the way to go. Unfortunately, you'll only get the worst FE has to offer that way.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 09:39:37 PM »
Or maybe you don’t understand the Bible correctly. Given all the easily verifiable evidence which shows the earth isn’t flat.
I assume you go to church, do all the people there believe the earth is flat? If not are they all wrong?

Last I checked, any two who gather in HIS name is CHURCH. Flat earth is not a prerequisite to entering the Kingdom of Heaven. Being a satanist here would preclude you from the very narrow gates. Thanks for playing swish swish --l>>>>>>

"The Bible clearly establishes that the Earth is flat. There are hundreds of scriptures that suggest that the Earth is a stationary object and flat. According to 1 Chronicles 16:30, it states that "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable," which means that the Earth is an immobile, fixed object within space. This line of reasoning is continued with other scriptures including Psalm 93:1 which states that "Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm..." and Isaiah 45:18 with "...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast..."[1]

Although flat Earth is never explicitly stated within the Bible, the state of the Earth as a flat object can be inferred from verses such as Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king "saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth... reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds." [2] If the Earth were actually spherical, then it would be impossible to see this tree from all corners of the Earth. Because it is possible, it proves that the Earth is flat.

The flatness of the Earth is further proven due to the ability of people within the Bible to see to all edges of the Earth. Matthew 4:8 states that "Once again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world [cosmos] in their glory." Seeing all of the kingdoms in the world would be impossible unless the Earth was flat. This is further supported by Revelation 1:7 stating "Behold, he is coming with the clouds! Every eye shall see him..." A flat Earth would allow everyone on the planet to see someone who is flying above them."

https://www.parlia.com/a/bible-says-earth-flat
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 10:03:09 PM by J-Man »
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline GoldCashew

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 04:20:15 AM »

Last I checked, any two who gather in HIS name is CHURCH. Flat earth is not a prerequisite to entering the Kingdom of Heaven. Being a satanist here would preclude you from the very narrow gates. Thanks for playing swish swish --l>>>>>>

"The Bible clearly establishes that the Earth is flat. There are hundreds of scriptures that suggest that the Earth is a stationary object and flat. According to 1 Chronicles 16:30, it states that "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable," which means that the Earth is an immobile, fixed object within space. This line of reasoning is continued with other scriptures including Psalm 93:1 which states that "Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm..." and Isaiah 45:18 with "...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast..."[1]

Although flat Earth is never explicitly stated within the Bible, the state of the Earth as a flat object can be inferred from verses such as Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king "saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth... reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds." [2] If the Earth were actually spherical, then it would be impossible to see this tree from all corners of the Earth. Because it is possible, it proves that the Earth is flat.

The flatness of the Earth is further proven due to the ability of people within the Bible to see to all edges of the Earth. Matthew 4:8 states that "Once again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world [cosmos] in their glory." Seeing all of the kingdoms in the world would be impossible unless the Earth was flat. This is further supported by Revelation 1:7 stating "Behold, he is coming with the clouds! Every eye shall see him..." A flat Earth would allow everyone on the planet to see someone who is flying above them."

If you are going to use and quote Biblical scripture as your proof of a flat earth, than I would challenge your assertions with the following:

1 Chronicles 16:30: it states that "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable".
- By "firm, immovable" what if scripture meant that the earth wasn't a gaseous mass but a solid. How do you know scripture meant an immobile stationary object vs. meant that the earth was a solid.

Daniel 4:10-11: the king "saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth... reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds."
- What if said tree had tree branches or limbs that grew in such a way that they reached out and curved around a Globe Earth. If this be the case, then it's possible that someone on the other side of the tree on a globe earth could see it's branches.

Matthew 4:8: states that "Once again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world [cosmos] in their glory."
- The word here is cosmos, which could also refer to the heavens and the stars above and not the Earth.

Revelation 1:7: stating "Behold, he is coming with the clouds! Every eye shall see him..."
- Given EA (Electromagnetic Acceleration) / bendy light, I suspect that every eye would not be able to see him coming with the clouds, so this would not really be possible.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2021, 05:50:22 AM »
"The Bible clearly establishes that the Earth is flat.

Which bible?

Offline scomato

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2021, 06:14:18 AM »

Not sure what your point with all of this when the Quran is the definitive word of God, there is unanimous consensus amongst medieval Muslim scholars to the contrary.

Ibn Hazm (d. 1064 CE), wrote over a thousand years ago in his book al-Fisal, "I do not know of a single scholar worth the title of scholar who claims other than that the earth is round. Indeed the evidences in the Quran and Sunnah are numerous to this effect" [al-Fisal, v. 2 p. 78]. Ibn Taymiyya (d. 1328 CE), wrote that there is unanimous consensus of all the scholars of Islam that the world is round, and that reality and perception also proves this, for, as he writes, it is well known that the Sun sets on different peoples at different times, and does not set on the whole world at the same time. In fact, writes Ibn Taymiyya, it is truly an ignorant person who claims that the earth is not round. [Majmu al-Fatawa, v. 6, p. 586]. And there are many others scholars, such as al-Razi, who wrote on this subject, and I do not know of any medieval scholar who held another view.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2021, 09:59:31 AM »
Although flat Earth is never explicitly stated within the Bible, the state of the Earth as a flat object can be inferred from verses
Right. You can interpret certain verses that way. But when the earth has been so conclusively shown to be a sphere, the only logical conclusion is that your interpretation is wrong. The verses you cite contain poetic language or relate visions. No church I’ve been in interprets those verses the way you do.

I did a preach on Science and Christianity a couple of years back. In it I suggested that while Scripture isn’t wrong, our interpretation of it may be. Our interpretation should be subject to change as our knowledge does. The church pushed back on the Copernican model because of their interpretation of some of the verses you cite. But, ultimately, the evidence became overwhelming so the church had to change their interpretation.

Some Christians see science as “the enemy”. I don’t see it that way. Science and Religion ask different questions, or they ask them in a different way. Science tells us we are insignificant, Religion tells us we are. But they’re talking about different things. Science is talking about where we are (as in our physical location, we are not literally at the centre of the universe). But our significance in Christianity doesn’t come from where we are but who we are in Christ.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2021, 02:33:21 AM »
One of my former Profs held similar views. And I always thought it was impressive how he held both his religion and his scientific endeavours in equally high regard. For a guy who does cutting age research on constraining the age and metamorphic processes involve in a 1Billion year-old mountain building event, it was oddly refreshing to see that he was still a devout Christian. I’m not remembering he ended up writing a book about it and I kinda want to track down the title now…