Offline jimster

• View Profile
The bi-polar FE maps in the wiki/faq
« on: January 16, 2021, 08:59:00 PM »
I want to ask about distances, about what direction a ham radio operator points his antenna, about the north star and lattitude, about where the sun appears to be at a particular moment in different places on your map, about why the summer/winter and northern/southern hemisphere stars are not visible at the same time, why planets are "wanderers" while stars appear to move in perfect formation, about why the water doesn't run off the edges without the ice wall idea, what happens if you fly os sail off the edge, about how a storm originating in the south pacific gets to CA, about the route of the Vendee and the Ocean Race make any sense on your map, the relative sizes of Australia, South America, and Africa, about how the sun at noon over Africa appears directly east of both Tierra Del Fuego and Newfoundland, what happens if you sail west from the equator at the South American coast.

And my very favorite, where is the north star on the bi-polar FE map, is there a place it can be that gives your lattitude to every place in the northern hemisphere, is not visible in the southern, and appears to be on the surface of the earth at the equator?

Looking for a satisfying, plausible answer.
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Re: The bi-polar FE maps in the wiki/faq
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 05:04:34 PM »
Yes I am curious as to why the polestar is visible in the whole of the norther hemisphere and then suddenly vanishes as you cross the equator?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 06:13:29 PM »
If you want to start a "How do you explain x" thread, please provide the evidence that x does occur exactly as alleged. Otherwise you may as well explain for us why the earth is flat with an underside made of rocks if it is round.

SteelyBob

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 07:43:31 PM »
If you want to start a "How do you explain x" thread, please provide the evidence that x does occur exactly as alleged. Otherwise you may as well explain for us why the earth is flat with an underside made of rocks if it is round.

The OP asked lots of things Tom, probably too many for one post to be fair. But is there anything in there that you'd actually challenge? Surely there must be some baseline level of fact that you accept without requiring evidence, due to it being so well studied and documented? Nothing they said is particularly controversial. Sailors have successfully used the north star, for example, to determine their latitude for hundreds of years - are you seriously demanding evidence for that basic fact? If so, where do your evidence demands end?

And if you do agree with some of it, such as the north star / latitude bit, why not address that point so we can enjoy some discussion about flat earth?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 10:29:47 PM »

The OP asked lots of things Tom, probably too many for one post to be fair. But is there anything in there that you'd actually challenge? Surely there must be some baseline level of fact that you accept without requiring evidence, due to it being so well studied and documented? Nothing they said is particularly controversial. Sailors have successfully used the north star, for example, to determine their latitude for hundreds of years - are you seriously demanding evidence for that basic fact? If so, where do your evidence demands end?

And if you do agree with some of it, such as the north star / latitude bit, why not address that point so we can enjoy some discussion about flat earth?

I don't see any reason for why anything should be assumed without evidence.

Maybe you should consider that you are posting here pleading with people to assume things without evidence so that you can proceed to make assertions without evidence and assume those assertions to be fact.

SteelyBob

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 10:37:00 PM »

Maybe you should consider that you are posting here pleading with people to assume things without evidence so that you can proceed to make assertions without evidence and assume those assertions to be fact.

I'm not asking you to accept anything without evidence, just to agree on some basic things so every debate doesn't have to begin from scratch. Do you accept that, for example, that the north star has been used in navigation, successfully, for hundreds of years to derive latitude? There's a ton of evidence out there for that - do you really need people to present it to you for you to accept it? And if you don't accept it, well fine - let's talk about it.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 12:10:32 AM »

As one who most enjoys simply being a bug on the wall, I must admit I find your requiring evidence of something that's been known for centuries to be a most amusing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:41:30 AM by Mothra »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 01:08:09 AM »

As one who most enjoys simply being a bug on the wall, I must admit I find your requiring evidence of something that's been known for centuries to be a most amusing.

Why do you find it amusing that our side requires evidence and your side does not?

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 02:31:25 AM »

Why do you find it amusing that our side requires evidence and your side does not?

'Tis not the requirement of evidence 'tis the ignoring of evidence that is comedic.

SteelyBob

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 06:18:42 AM »

I'll repeat my question, as you seem to have ignored it:

Do you accept that, for example, that the north star has been used in navigation, successfully, for hundreds of years to derive latitude?

As Mothra says, the issue here isn't that you require evidence to support a claim - that's just good science - the issue is demanding evidence for stuff that has been understood and widely used for years. If the north star's didn't altitude didn't equal latitude north of the equator, I think we'd know about it by now.