Offline Niki4To

• View Profile
Dome or CGI?
« on: July 23, 2018, 04:31:30 PM »
Regarding science:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_ring

What is curious to me, is why there isn't observed such phenomena around any celestial object. Of course, the degree at which the light bends will be minimal, but this small angle scaled to the cosmic distances should become easily visible.

Finally, I would expect deep space to be seen something like this(not the same principle, but the result should be similar):

But a lot crazier.

It is curious how they pretend that they are able to measure the oscillation of stars provoked by the mass of orbiting planets, but from the whole outer space, they have seen Einstein rings only few hundreds of times.
It seems like stars were put like models in a fashion show - everyone trying to be seen. Very few overlapping.

The way satellite images are scaled up and still there are nice shapes observed, gives me the impression telescopes look at a flat surface(a dome) or it is all CGI.

Front stars and planets should be seen well, I have not doubt regard this. But when they start to augment and augment finding whole universes in between the tiny spaces between the nearer stars, then again, and again, and always neat stars, it makes me doubt.

BillO

Re: Dome or CGI?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
First, the effect of bending light is pretty small.  Light has to pass pretty close to some enormously massive object to see the kind of light bending you are depicting.

Second, the universe is a pretty empty place all in all.  With the average distance between stars in our neck of the woods being something like 8 light years there are ample gaps for light to make it through unbent.  The average distance between neutron stars and black holes, those things that will bend light significantly, is measured in the many 100s if not 1000s  of light years.

Offline Niki4To

• View Profile
Re: Dome or CGI?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 06:56:27 PM »
What part of the universe we can not see, because of direct occlusion? It seems with the augmenting they can see through a whole galaxy.
It is a star, augment, oh, it is a bunch of stars. augment, oh those are galaxies, augment, I can see the stars of the galaxies, augment, I can see in between the stars of each galaxy another galaxies, let augment.... ("augmenting" should be "peeking further")

Does the atomic structure of a mirror allow for perfection(let ignore the fabrication process imperfections)? The oval surface can not exactly follow the crystal structure of the lenses.

(BTW they say no telescope is potent enough to see the footprints of the astronauts on Moon....)