Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Flat Earth Map
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
Still struggling with the screen resolution and monitor settings uh...still unable to comprehend how different resolutions render pixelation.
Totallackey, to clear things up for you, resolution doesn't matter. Think of a raster image as a set grid of squares with each square being a 'pixel'. In the image, no matter the resolution of your screen or however you see the image in different sizes based on zooming in or screen resolutions, the raster image will still have a consistent grid of squares which does not change. Each square in the grid is assigned a hex value which you will see represented visually as a colour. So for example a 300x300 grid of coloured squares will still be exactly that regardless of screen resolution.  :)
Correct. All resolution does is change the size you see the image.
And lackey is welcome to repeat my method and do his own drawing. If doing it on a computer is confusing him because of resolution red herrings he can do it on a piece of paper with a pencil and a pair of compasses.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline TomFoolery

• Seeking truth, the flatter the better
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 05:27:50 PM »
There is nothing wrong with your method, as far as I can see. You can triangulate any three points on a curved surface and the distances will be consistent with their being on a flat surface. Add a fourth point, and you will immediately tell whether the surface has Euclidean geometry (i.e. is flat) or not.

How the distances could be wrong. Tom Bishop has always wisely insisted that distances given by the establishment are incorrect. Distances and flight times should be the focus of all future FE research.

We do need to be careful just dismissing distances that the establishment give us.

You can get into a 1985 chevy pickup with a purely mechanical odometer and a modern GPS navigational unit.
You can start out at one end of the country, put in a destination for the other end, and clear your trip odometer, and begin a journey.
The GPS accurately adds up all the distances of all the roads, and tells you, how many miles it will be.
Then you drive there, and it's that many miles according to your odometer.
And the establishment cannot possibly  be fudging your purely mechanical odometer to match the GPS system.
I've taken cars and odometers apart. There's a cable that is geared to your drive line, which turns a set of gears and little wheels in your odometer housing.
It measures distance plane (lol) and simple.
Same thing for flying small airplanes, as many private pilots use GPS in their small planes.
They are flying straight lines, and the GPS tells them it's so many miles, and they have a windspeed indicator and they know how fast their plane is flying and they can calculate the distance between two points, and GPS works great there too.
So I think we have to realize that GPS distances on land masses work very accurately within that land mass.

However, when we get to going between continents it's harder to prove that the GPSs are telling the correct distance.

We are stuck with the flight times though, a distance between southern continents is so great it would require the planes to fly at over the speed of sound, so I'm not sure how we deal with that.

For example, I added up some flights that I saw  happening on flight radar 24.

The following flights connect to form a loop all the way around the earth, as follows:

Start in Sao Paulo, Brazil
Fly to Johannesburg, South Africa
Fly to Perth, Australia
Fly to Melbourne, Australia
Fly to Auckland, New Zealand
Fly to Buenos Aires, Argentina
Then fly to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil where you will be very close to where you started.

That is a path that circumnavigates the earth south of the "equator"

There's probably a better path but these were just flights I saw on the live tracker in one day. I saved screenshots if anyone doubts.
Adding up the official flight distances (which we may not be able to trust) and the official flight times (which we can trust because everybody who flies knows they are pretty accurate on the time because we check our watches at takeoff and  landing!) -- anyway, adding up these flights gave about a total alleged circumference of around 20,000 miles, which would mean that all the civilized continents fit inside about a 6500 mile diameter circle on the flat earth.
And I'm inclined to believe the mile distances of those flights in general because they the time they took averaged to around 530mph which is expected for a jetliner.

But one flight I saw was very disturbing, Singapore to Newark 18 hours long and 9500 miles.

How do you fly a 9500 mile flight across a 6500 mile diameter circle? And Newark isn't even near the edge of the circle, and for that  matter, neither is Singapore. So that means two points near the middle of the earth are 9500 miles apart, so the disk must be at least 20,000 miles in diameter!

Granted, the jets could be going a bit faster or a bit slower to fudge the calculation to make the distances look different, but ultimately jets have a limited range of speeds.
Most commercial jets today cannot go over the speed of sound, nor can they go below a certain speed, especially at 34k feet, or they'd fall out of the sky.

So we've really got a challenge here, and I'm trying to help prepare us for the work we need to do so we don't think it's easy and end up like TigerDan who thought he could do it then gave up when he realized he had to make his flat earth spherical to make the flights match up.

If we can solve the map we'll have it all solved.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »
Well google maps gps is accurate and it's been established, if anyone noticed inaccuracies we'd know about it. It gets us round on time to the right locations, I cycle everywhere, I've cycled across England. It fairs accurately

Also regarding across large bodies of water, if you don't trust flight times you got ship times too. There's a ton of ships navigating the oceans. :)
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline TomFoolery

• Seeking truth, the flatter the better
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth Map - Mobius?
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 02:32:32 AM »
What do you all think of a multidimensional mobius map?

As you know, a mobius strip has only one surface, and yet half of that surface is facing the opposite way.

Perhaps that explains how the sun "sets."

Except we need it to be multi-dimensional instead of just a strip.

But this would allow us to travel in any direction and get to anyplace - and it would also explain how half the earth is dark, and explain why east-west flights between far southern continents aren't longer than they are. It would allow the southern continents to be the correct distance from each other just around the "twist" of the mobius.

I could only find a single path mobius, not a multi-dimension representation but look at this:

Then try to imagine that you could also go at right angles and have the same effect of seamlessly showing up on the other side.

This could solve all sorts of problems.

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 02:14:49 AM »
I respect you putting in the time to do this but unfortunately you've made an error. The distance from Dallas to Minneapolis is around 864 miles. I guess that shows how many people actually checked this :)

I've done something similar with cities in Australia but with greater accuracy. The cities I've chosen are Sydney, Perth and Darwin. The city which is the variable is Alice Springs. I've used the measurements in kilometres from Free Map Tools (https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm) with one pixel equalling one kilometre. The error is there - which supports you're conclusion because I believe the method is sound - but it's only around 7-8km at these distances.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
You know what? You’re right.
I’ve used the KM distance for that one and miles for the others.
Wow.
As you say, it shows how little anyone else bothered to check things!
Thanks for pointing this out.
I’ll have another look later and correct my mistake. Maybe I’ll accidentally prove the earth is flat after all!
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
Why would you use google maps to find the distance between cities. Isn't it known that they work with the government after making an app called Google Earth, which depicts the Earth as a GLOBE???

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 04:07:29 PM »
This will help make a map.

https://aireon.com/services/

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »
Why would you use google maps to find the distance between cities. Isn't it known that they work with the government after making an app called Google Earth, which depicts the Earth as a GLOBE???
Yes, it does depict the earth as a globe. Because the earth is a globe.
As for why use Google Maps, it's as good a source as any and is used by millions of people every day to get around reliably.
If you believe it to be inaccurate though then feel free to find another source

I did repeat the above correcting my error, I can post the new image later. To be honest the error in the new image wasn't as pronounced as in the original, but it is there.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »

As for why use Google Maps, it's as good a source as any and is used by millions of people every day to get around reliably.

There are many many MANY sets of maps, which are used by millions and millions of people every day to get around reliably in which the earth is represented as a flat plane and NOT as a globe such as:

mapquest maps
bing maps
yahoo maps
suncalc.net
timeanddate.com
geology.com world map
https://satellites.pro/plan/world_map which has a Google TM on the search results
mapsofworld.com
mapchart.net
https://mapmaker.nationalgeographic.org/
https://24timezones.com/worldmap

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 08:23:12 PM »
Don't forget that there are also open source map projects like:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/
https://www.mapbox.com/about/maps/

It seems that it would be hard to fool all of those contributors.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 09:22:07 PM »

There are many many MANY sets of maps, which are used by millions and millions of people every day to get around reliably in which the earth is represented as a flat plane and NOT as a globe such as:

mapquest maps
bing maps
yahoo maps
suncalc.net
timeanddate.com
geology.com world map
https://satellites.pro/plan/world_map which has a Google TM on the search results
mapsofworld.com
mapchart.net
https://mapmaker.nationalgeographic.org/
https://24timezones.com/worldmap

All of which are based upon Globe projections. So it doesn't get someone out of the jam of not using Google maps just because it has a globe view and these layouts don't.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 08:58:20 PM »

All of which are based upon Globe projections. So it doesn't get someone out of the jam of not using Google maps just because it has a globe view and these layouts don't.

What they are (or are not) based on is a moot point. If they are based on a giant pyramid, egg, sphere, or oblate spheroid does not change the accuracy of the following statement:

There are accurate maps of the earth used and accepted by tens or hundreds of millions of of people every single day in which the map of the earth is represented as a FLAT plane.

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 09:32:49 PM »

What they are (or are not) based on is a moot point. If they are based on a giant pyramid, egg, sphere, or oblate spheroid does not change the accuracy of the following statement:

There are accurate maps of the earth used and accepted by tens or hundreds of millions of of people every single day in which the map of the earth is represented as a FLAT plane.
Represented on a flat surface with a grid that identifies the shape of a round earth using latitude and longitude.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »
There are also blueprints of buildings, planes, automobiles, and millions of other objects represented in a 2D plane. Congratulations. Your point is irrelevant.
BobLawBlah.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »

mapquest maps
Yes. Because on the short scale of most journeys people make a 2D representation is perfectly adequate. But if you zoom out on the first of those, mapquest, you get:

Do you see the problem?
HINT: Look up the size of Greenland. Then look up the size of Africa...

And that's because...they're representing a 3D object - the globe - on a 2D plane - a map.
And that means some projection has to be done. Which means on a large scale it's not accurate.
This is exactly why Google Maps changed recently so that as you zoom out it starts to display as a globe so accuracy is maintained.
Were the earth flat they wouldn't need to do that. A flat earth could be represented as a flat map without any projection, you'd just need to scale.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 06:03:45 PM »

I am presently looking at a picture of a cat on my phone. That picture is flat, therefore all cats are in fact flat planes.

I have an instruction manual for putting together a new bookshelf. But it is the wrong one! My bookshelf is supposed to be a 3 dimensional object, but these instructions are on a flat piece of paper! I don’t want a flat bookcase!

I have a map of Kilimanjaro, which I have used when climbing it. That map is flat. Whhaaaaaat?!?! Kilimanjaro wasn’t flat!! It’s a mountain!!?!

You are an odd duck.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »

I am presently looking at a picture of a cat on my phone. That picture is flat, therefore all cats are in fact flat planes.

I have an instruction manual for putting together a new bookshelf. But it is the wrong one! My bookshelf is supposed to be a 3 dimensional object, but these instructions are on a flat piece of paper! I don’t want a flat bookcase!

I have a map of Kilimanjaro, which I have used when climbing it. That map is flat. Whhaaaaaat?!?! Kilimanjaro wasn’t flat!! It’s a mountain!!?!

You are an odd duck.

Never in my quote did I say that because the map represents the earth as flat that the earth is flat. I understand that paper is a 2d Medium and because of that many maps represent the are they are mapping as a flat plane.

I specifically left the shape of the earth out of it. The shape of the earth and a map of the earth being represented as a flat plane on a map are not mutually exclusive

The earth is a sphere or oblate spheroid AND there are accurate maps of the earth used and accepted by tens or hundreds of millions of of people every single day in which the map of the earth is represented as a FLAT plane.

The earth is a cube AND there are accurate maps of the earth used and accepted by tens or hundreds of millions of of people every single day in which the map of the earth is represented as a FLAT plane.

The earth is a pyramid AND there are accurate maps of the earth used and accepted by tens or hundreds of millions of of people every single day in which the map of the earth is represented as a FLAT plane.

Notice how the shape of the earth has no effect on if accurate maps of the earth exist where the earth is represented as a flat plane??

I even specifically said this to make the point that i'm making no claim about the shape of the earth:

Do you see the problem?
HINT: Look up the size of Greenland. Then look up the size of Africa...

Those maps have an interactive adjusting scale so if you fill the map with Greenland and fill the map with Africa you can CLEARLY see that Greenland is much smaller than Africa.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:27:35 PM by iamcpc »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »

The earth is a sphere or oblate spheroid AND there are accurate maps of the earth used and accepted by tens or hundreds of millions of of people every single day in which the map of the earth is represented as a FLAT plane.

The earth is a cube AND there are accurate maps of the earth used and accepted by tens or hundreds of millions of of people every single day in which the map of the earth is represented as a FLAT plane.

The earth is a pyramid AND there are accurate maps of the earth used and accepted by tens or hundreds of millions of of people every single day in which the map of the earth is represented as a FLAT plane.

Notice how the shape of the earth has no effect on if accurate maps of the earth exist where the earth is represented as a flat plane??

Here's a Cube earth projection flattened out and I stitched it together accordingly - I couldn't figure out how do add longitude and latitude lines, but it would look pretty nutty if I did:

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2019, 09:51:48 PM »
Those maps have an interactive adjusting scale so if you fill the map with Greenland and fill the map with Africa you can CLEARLY see that Greenland is much smaller than Africa.
But why can't you see that when you show them on the map at the same time? Why does Greenland look bigger despite being less than a 10th of the area of Africa in real life? Because it's a projection. And projection is only needed because the earth isn't flat. Were the earth flat then a flat map would represent the sizes of countries and continents and the distances between them. But it doesn't, because it isn't.

Yes, people can get around with those maps because they're going from, say, London to Milton Keynes. On that scale the earth is close enough to flat that there is no significant distortion. But at the continent level there's a clear problem. Why? Because you can't represent the globe earth properly on a flat plane. You have to do some projection, there are different ways of doing that but all of them introduce some inaccuracies on the macro scale.