Thork

Pancake day
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
People all over the western world are celebrating pancake day. Not shrove Tuesday, pancake day. Somehow the whole lent, fasting thing has been completely removed from the event allowing you to binge on pancakes and not worry about a 40 day diet and giving up smoking afterwards.

Most societies of note have a 'day'. And I wonder what better day to promote our society than pancake day? Maybe for future years we should gear up to make pancake day flat earth awareness day? This day is a planetary phenomenon and now that Jesus seems to have lost rights to this festival, are we going to let floury foods glean all the limelight? I think we can make this an annual event to push the good name of the society.

Everyone loves pancakes. And if with every bite you are buying into our day ... we should definitely look to hijack pancake day for future years.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Pancake day
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
People all over the western world are celebrating pancake day.
Incorrect.

Somehow the whole lent, fasting thing has been completely removed from the event allowing you to binge on pancakes and not worry about a 40 day diet and giving up smoking afterwards.
It's called the Protestant Reformation (from which Anglicanism drew a fair amount of ideas).

That aside, I honestly doubt hijacking Shrove Tuesday (especially if you restrict it to the largely-unknown "Pancake Day") is something that could be reasonably accomplished, or something that should be reasonably attempted. A Flat Earth Awareness Day as a general idea sounds good, but it should actually have to do with the Flat Earth, and not your misconceptions of Christian culture.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
Largely unknown pancake day? #PancakeDay is trending as the most popular hashtag on twitter right now. Right now pancakes are more popular than ISIS and Obama.

I just like the idea of having it on pancake day. People are already making the connection.

Its a feel good day, its not offensive to anyone we should relate eating pancakes to our earth shaped theories. Just think its a good day to pick. :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:27:29 AM »
Largely unknown pancake day? #PancakeDay is trending as the most popular hashtag on twitter right now.
It's trending in the United Kingdom. If you switch your view to a non-Commonwealth country, you're not going to have that much luck. For example, in the United States, #FatTuesday is trending instead. If you go worldwide, all you'll see is #RuinAMovieWithPancake.

So yes, it is largely unknown, unless you're suggesting that we should pander to a small minority of the world just because you happen to belong to it.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:40:27 AM »
I still think it is as good a day as any. Do you have a better date?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »
Earth day would be my second choice, but pancake day works. 

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »
I kind of wish we had Pancake Day in America.  We don't really get food-based holidays, unless you count Thanksgiving.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »
Here's a food-based holiday riddle:
How many mods and admins need to post in this thread before someone moves it to the Lounge where it belongs?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
How many mods and admins need to post in this thread before someone moves it to the Lounge where it belongs?
Save for the two posts preceding this one (and, of course, this post itself), this thread is firmly within the subject group of FEG. It discusses a FE(S) topic not directly related to FET.

Thork

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:30:56 PM »
Here's a food-based holiday riddle:
Stop memberating. Its against the rules! >o<

So, consensus seems to be ... we should have a flat earth day each year for awareness. We just aren't sure which day. Shall we open it up for suggestions and then vote on the day?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »
Stop memberating. Its against the rules! >o<
No, it's not. It's just a case of off-topic posting, and your comments are as problematic in this case as markjo's. Please familiarise yourself with the rules.

That said, let's agree that further posts in this thread will be on topic, all right? This applies to everyone, myself included.

So, consensus seems to be ... we should have a flat earth day each year for awareness. We just aren't sure which day. Shall we open it up for suggestions and then vote on the day?
Sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:04:19 PM by pizaaplanet »