Offline NomaD

• View Profile
Hello world
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »
Hello people, would like to talk to someone who could explain the theory of the flat earth , from whence it comes.

(And sorry for my english i'm french)

Offline Orbisect-64

• I'M REVOLTING! . . . make of it what you will
    • View Profile
Re: Hello world
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 01:09:52 AM »
What's your purpose of asking?

Some people just come on there to bait and laugh.
PRONOIA: “The delusional belief that the world is set up to benefit people … The confident and assumed trust that despite years of lies and oppression, government is secretly conspiring in your favor.”

Offline NomaD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »
I just want Answers. What brings people to think that the earth is flat ?
if I wanted to laugh I would not be here

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:48:12 PM »
I would suggest that your best option is to simply ask the questions you want the answers to.

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »
Please realize that I have more respect for this forum than the other Flat Earth Society forum, which has more or less fallen into a shambles in many ways.

This forum seems to be well run and seems to be run by those who are really serious about the flat earth question. Just for one example, the response time for login and posting is normal on this website. It is abyssmaly slow on the other website.

But those of us who work in the real world:
We would  really would like to know why there is even a belief that the earth is a flat disc, with an ice ring around it, a dome above it, etc. when there is absolutely no evidence of this ? And also that the globular shape of the earth is a well known and  a proven fact with ample evidence .

Is this website just for those who would like to discuss what the earth would be like if it was flat ?

If I wanted laughs, I would be on the other FES website. I am just looking for a rational answer as to why people believe that the earth is flat when it seems there is no basis for it.

What is your opinion of those such as "jroa" and "sceptimatic" ? IMHO I suspect that they really might be "round earthers" who are trying to give the Flat Earth Society a bad name ?

So my main question is.:

What is the basis and evidence that you believe that the earth is flat ?

Once again my thanks for what appears to be a well run website !
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:30:17 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »
Quote from: geckothegeek

Look out your window for direct first hand evidence. You should be asking yourself why you believe that the earth is round, based on third hand evidence by an honest and incorruptible source such as the government.

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »
I am basing this on common sense and observation and service in the US Navy and work in technical fields involving radar for just a few examples.

And the fact that there is every evidence that the earth is the globular shape that it is and there is absolutely no evidence that the earth is a flat disc,etc.

I do not "believe" that the earth is a globe. I "know" that the earth is a globe.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:22:43 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »
We are just asking you why you believe the earth is flat ? What is your evidence ?

We have gone a bit farther than just "looking out your window."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:25:16 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
I looked out my window and saw that the earth was flat. You  were told that the earth was a globe. You don't "know" anything. You were "told". I know that the earth is flat because I saw it myself.

geckothegeek

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:11:48 PM »
Very well. If that is the sole basis for your belief . So be it.

If you wanted to know how most people know the earth is a globe, I could give you plenty of evidence, but if your belief is simply what you see out your window. Also so be it.

Just wanted to get an answer. Thank you. No further comments.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:52:24 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:41 PM »
We don't need any further evidence beyond that because there is no compelling evidence that the earth is any other shape.

If you bring up sinking ships, we will bring up reports that ships have been restored by looking at then through a telescope, proving that the ship cannot be behind a "hill of water".

If you bring up NASA we will bring up many of the inconsistencies and lies that organization has perpetuated.

Whatever you bring up will be shown to be incorrect or flawed, leaving us no reason to consider that the earth is a globe. The earth is directly observed to be flat, and so that is what it is, no appeals to authority required.

geckothegeek

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
I have been to sea, watched ships passing over the horizon and know that they cannot be restored to sight with a telescope. If you can't believe me,  ask some seaman, petty officer or commissioned officer in the Navy who has ever stood deck watches or just observed ships passing over the horizon in their off duty hours about this subject.

And I also know that the distance to the horizon can be determined by a simple formula. And the horizon, on a clear day at sea is a distinct line where sky and sea meet and not some "blur in the distance" as flat earth claim.

If the earth is flat why would it make any difference how high a radar antenna or crow's nest on a ship was mounted to obtain the farthest distance to the horizon ?

Who was the Flat Earth scapegoat before NASA ? Who guarded the ice wall before NASA ?

If I had the proper telescope and film and filters such as infrared film, if I was halfway at sea between San Diego and Honolulu why couldn't I see Diamond Head from the front of the ship and Point Loma from the stern....If the earth was flat ?
I know this is impossible. If the Navy knew this they would certainly employ those methods. Why don't they ?

There has been no evidence to prove that the earth is flat and a multitude of evidence to prove that the earth is round.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:50:40 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »
Why would you expect to see Diamond Head from thousands of miles away when you can barely see a mountain 100 miles away?  This is some pretty strange logic you are using, Googleotomy. 

geckothegeek

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »
Why would you expect to see Diamond Head from thousands of miles away when you can barely see a mountain 100 miles away?  This is some pretty strange logic you are using, Googleotomy.

Why couldn't you see Diamond Head if the earth was flat ? I am using the example of a telescope and proper film   to eliminate any problems with atmospheric haze. ("atmoplanic" if you prefer that term.) And there are certainly enough telescopes with enough magnifying power to bring anything a few thousand miles into view.

I have seen Diamond Head and Point Loma disappear over the horizon. Shore first, top of the peaks last. And I have seen ships disappear over the horizon. Hulls first, masts last.

Again, if you can't take my word for it, ask any amateur or professional photographer about the subject.

How experienced are you in infrared photography and telescopic lenses, jroa ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_photography#/media/File:Visible_Spectrum_vs_IR.jpg

PS- Let me clarify this a bit. I know jroa will think of a way to nitpick. I might not be able to see Point Loma or Diamond Head from the ship halfway between the two because of atmospheric conditions if the earth was flat. But I could take pictures.
Film, filters or perhaps electronic photograph means and telescopes would present no problems in taking photographs if the earth was flat. But the earth is not flat. Simple reason why it can't be done. As pointed out, any seaman, petty officer or commissioned officer in any Navy; any merchant marine man or any one connected with a cargo , passenger or cruise ship can tell you why it can't be done.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:21:29 AM by geckothegeek »

HHHzzz

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
I'm deleting my account, please delete my post
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:50:36 AM by HHHzzz »

geckothegeek

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 03:48:06 PM »
Quote from: geckothegeek

Look out your window for direct first hand evidence. You should be asking yourself why you believe that the earth is round, based on third hand evidence by an honest and incorruptible source such as the government.

Horizon wouldn't be a sharp line if the Earth  was flat, but rather a blurry haze at perspective vanishing point. You know, the horizon you can see, when looking out your window, as you said.

As a conclusion, looking out my window showed me that Earth is a globe, thank you!

As mentioned in my previous post, there are methods to penetrate the haze and other atmospheric - Oh, sorry. I meant atmoplanic -  conditions. Why does my spell check keep giving me a red line under atmoplanic ?

I am looking out the window in my study. I see grass and a white crepe myrtle.
The earth is green grass and white crepe myrtles.

I have had the benefit to work in areas which showed me the earth is a globe, thank you !
There are those of us who do work in the real world of science and keep things like ships, planes and computers running, to name just a few.

Probably Tom Bishop has led a sheltered life ? Maybe his mother wouldn't let him out of the house and he had to look out the window to see what was out there ?

And in conclusion, I am not alone. There are problem at least a few billion other persons who know that the earth is a globe. I doubt that there are no more than a few hundred who think, much less believe, and certainly do not know that the earth is a flat disc , surrounded by a ring of ice and covered with a dome of ice.

Experiment for flat earthers.:
Go to maps.google.com. Try looking at street views along the highways on flat land. See what the horizon looks like.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:02:03 PM by geckothegeek »