Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #920 on: March 09, 2019, 05:13:19 AM »
There may be hope for the DCEU yet.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2457426/the-dceu-as-a-shared-cinematic-universe-is-done

Oops. Guess not.

Old, though it does make some good points. However, I was referring to the DCEU in terms of the general franchise. Also, on the notion of Batfleck leaving, here's what Snyder had to say about it:

Bruce's opening monologue wasn't the worst part of BvS, far from it, but it was definitely one of the most pretentious, and this time the blame lies with Chris Terrio rather than Snyder. I read somewhere that this was inspired in part by Yeats and Seamus Heaney. "The Second Coming" is an allegory about a crumbling world's supposed savior that turns out to be a monster, while "Exposure" is about a man struggling to find his place in the world. Okay, those are both genuinely pretty interesting parallels for a character like Batman, especially in relation to his status as a fallen hero. But the themes are what should have been emphasized, not specific phrasing that just sounds silly out of context, like "diamond absolutes" or "things fall." I don't know what the ideal way to communicate these powerful ideas would have been, but I'm sure an Oscar-winning screenwriter could have figured out something better than this.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 09, 2019, 05:27:20 AM »
Captain Marvel is a pretty okay Marvel movie. It's not the worst one (a title I still give to the second/third Ironman movies) but it's definitely reaching for that spot. It's got some good humor in it, but overall the story feels forced. I'm not sure why Marvel felt like they needed to introduce Captain Marvel at all in the MCU and I'm not sure how to feel about the role she might play in Endgame.

And while I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone, I do want to say that the way the MCU Captain Marvel receives her powers is completely ridiculous and is a scene that I wish simply wasn't in the movie at all.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 09, 2019, 06:58:30 AM »
And while I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone

I'll take a crack at it. The good guy wins just barely?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 09, 2019, 07:06:23 AM »
And while I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone

I'll take a crack at it. The good guy wins just barely?
And then gets out into stasis for years?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

SeaCritique

« Reply #924 on: March 09, 2019, 01:41:41 PM »
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2457426/the-dceu-as-a-shared-cinematic-universe-is-done

Oops. Guess not.

At least we have Joker to look forward. I could do with a Joaquin Phoenix-helmed standalone.

Rama Set

« Reply #925 on: March 09, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
I'm not sure why Marvel felt like they needed to introduce Captain Marvel at all in the MCU and I'm not sure how to feel about the role she might play in Endgame.

Hemsworth and Ruffalo are not under contract for much longer, so it gives them one of their more powerful characters in the universe. I hate that they are claiming she is more powerful than Thor or Hulk, but whatevs. She also nicely fills their diversity agenda. She is apparently supposed to be the focus of the next phase of Avengers development, which is too bad. Scarlet Witch has better stories for them to do.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 09, 2019, 08:22:52 PM »
I don't give a fuck about any of this knowing that I'm never going to get an extremely violent Moon Knight show.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 11, 2019, 02:46:31 AM »
Aquaman is a Not Good movie. I'm sorry that people spent their time and money making it and that people are being asked to spend their time and money seeing it.

SeaCritique

« Reply #928 on: March 22, 2019, 02:45:55 AM »
Captain Marvel was a flawed popcorn movie that executed Marvel's formula with machine-like precision.

2 (1/2)/4

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 27, 2019, 05:49:42 AM »
(thanks to Crudblud for bringing this to my attention)

http://collider.com/zack-snyder-why-batman-kills-in-batman-v-superman/

If I were the director of three movies starring the most iconic superheroes in the world, and all three of them were received poorly by critics and general audiences, I think I would be somewhat humbled, and choose my words carefully when discussing the subject in public. Zack Snyder, on the other hand, has over the years continued to get more and more defensive about his precious vision, and by this point has come to personify the "Am I out of touch?" meme from The Simpsons. The response to this weirdly-phrased outburst is so obvious that I'm almost hesitant to put it into words, but the entire genre of capeshit is, to borrow Snyder's eloquent phrasing, a "dream world." One that was created for children. If we can believe that there's a man dressed as a bat who fights crime every night, zips across rooftops with a grappling gun, and can overpower a dozen or so heavily-armed mercenaries, then it's not a stretch to believe that he can do all this without needing to kill people. And what he's trying to hint at with Alan Moore and Watchmen - "No, they do this" - isn't correct. Watchmen was always intended by Moore to be a cautionary tale, a warning against itself. This seems to be confirmation of the old cliché that Snyder never "got" Watchmen, and interpreted what was meant to be disturbing and horrifying as unironically cool and badass.

In brighter news, Shazam! has gotten good reviews. Yes, even if we go by Metacritic.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:40:55 PM by honk »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 05, 2019, 04:57:01 AM »

This is not at all what I was expecting, especially coming from Todd Phillips. That doesn't mean it looks good, though. It seems almost low-concept, like a depressing piece of Oscar bait focusing on a man's tragic descent into mental illness. The worst part of the trailer is the Joker on a subway laughing to himself. That's what real-life crazy homeless guys do, not supervillains, and it seems like the kind of stupid thing someone like Jared Leto would do as part of his supposed method acting. The high point is Joaquin Phoenix running. There's something hilarious about his graceful, loping strides.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 05, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »
I dunno, with the exception of the "trailer opening with a bass boom" thing that needs to stop because it's dumb and I hate it, it seems like it could be decent. A Joker movie that paints him as a pathetic victim is probably the most interesting thing they can do with it now. We've already had goofy Joker, theatrical Joker, haha anarchy lmao Joker, and nu metal throwback Joker, so I feel like this could be a positive move. Also it seems like the "inspired by Scorsese" thing wasn't far off, but the trailer makes it look more like The King of Comedy than anything (and that's a good thing). Still, it's a DC movie, so I don't have high hopes, but there is potential.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:57:19 PM by Crudblud »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 06, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »
I hate the clown makeup. Drink if you knew I would say that.
The Mastery.

Offline Bette Davis Eyes

• let's eat some apples and get naked
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 13, 2019, 03:15:44 AM »
Haven't seen the trailer but maybe it's based on the graphic novel "The Killing Joke", which is a Joker origin story?  The story is pretty rough.  Basically an average guy has a series of bad things happen to him in 1 day that destroys everything he had and was, which turns him into the Joker.

If anyone has ever had their life turned upside down in an instant, and knew they would never be the same again (and not in a happy way), they may relate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Killing_Joke
I can't believe I'm still fucking trapped in the infinite Universe....Anyone got something for claustrophobia or anxiety?

Yesterday is here to show us how far we’ve come.
Today is here to show us what fool’s we have remained.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 13, 2019, 11:07:21 PM »
I, too, have read The Killing Joke, and it looks almost nothing like that.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 14, 2019, 01:01:46 AM »
Aquabro is the best DCEU movie.
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #936 on: April 14, 2019, 01:31:30 AM »
Aquabro is the best DCEU movie.

Damning the DCEU with faint praise.

Offline Bette Davis Eyes

• let's eat some apples and get naked
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 14, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
I, too, have read The Killing Joke, and it looks almost nothing like that.

Ah, thank you, I'm sorry to hear that, had high hopes it was.  Thanks for letting me know.
I can't believe I'm still fucking trapped in the infinite Universe....Anyone got something for claustrophobia or anxiety?

Yesterday is here to show us how far we’ve come.
Today is here to show us what fool’s we have remained.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 17, 2019, 08:27:37 PM »
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

This has predictably led to a shitstorm online, as if the residual shittiness of the Twilight movies will somehow contaminate this one. It's a very immature position to take.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 17, 2019, 09:15:30 PM »
It should be Keanu.