Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1740 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
Logan

Was alright. The emotion, acting, and production were all good. I didn't care for the plot at all.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 22, 2017, 04:08:23 AM »
Iron Fist (Scott Buck, 2017)

Ayyy, I get to play contrarian to Saddam again.

I liked it. Well, enough that I'd say it's "alright". It's weird, because I feel like I've watched a completely different show than a lot of the people calling it a piece of shit. I don't disagree with a lot of the criticisms—the dialogue was bad, the fight scenes weren't great, and the story is weak—but not to such an extreme. I went in thinking I'd agree with all the reviews, but I've come out very differently. Rand was an awfully-written  character, but it had little to nothing to do with Finn Jones. His acting was fine throughout, he just really was not given anything good to work with. The fight scenes in the first half were very poorly done, but they improved dramatically in the second half (and, warning, I thought Daredevil just had alright fight scenes for the most part, too). So did the story, since they basically fully-embraced "hey, this is fucking nuts" and just went off the rails. That's not to say it's great, but I was way more hooked in the second half than I was in the first.

The highlight of the show, actually, are the Meachums. Ward, in particular. I was getting emotional whiplash with all the times he made me feel bad for him then made me hate him one after the other. His felt like the most fully-developed character in the show, and the one who made the most consistent decisions for the most part. Harold was delightfully hateable and...odd enough to be interesting. Joy was, well, Joy. I thought she was kind of fucking stupid but hey I guess she made me feel something.

No, not exactly a glowing review, but it wasn't a great show. Odd pacing, lackluster fight scenes (for the most part), bad dialogue, weak story, etc. I just don't think it's nearly as awful as people are saying. Maybe it's because the MCU and expectations are high (which they shouldn't be after Daredevil season 2), but I'd rather watch Iron Fist than most shit on TV. That being said, so far my MCU Netflix ranking goes:

Jessica Jones: Season 1
Daredevil: Season 1
Daredevil: Season 2 (Part 1)
Luke Cage: Season 1
Iron Fist: Season 1
Daredevil: Season 2 (Part 2)

The biggest disappointment in the show, for me, is that he didn't get his costume!!!! He's got the coolest costume of the bunch, so he better not just be Danny Rand: Vigilante Extraordinaire. So I don't agree with the more extreme views that season two should be axed or Finn Jones replaced, I just think they need a new showrunner and Jones should spend the time up until The Defenders practicing his kung fu.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 24, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »
I just don't think it's nearly as awful as people are saying. Maybe it's because the MCU and expectations are high (which they shouldn't be after Daredevil season 2)

I'd say it's the inverse - fans have dramatically lowered their standards because of their general level of hype and excitement, and are willing to enjoy anything that has the Marvel logo and goes through the motions of being capeshit. I'm confident that after a few weeks, maybe months, the dust will settle and the fans currently insisting that "it's not so bad" will admit that the show was basically shit. I mean, you seem to already be conceding that the show is shit in your review, but that you still somehow unironically enjoyed it.

Also, the fan backlash against critics slamming the show for playing the "mighty whitey" trope straight and its general portrayal of race is ridiculous. For one thing, it's a perfectly valid criticism of the show, and for another, there isn't a single reviewer that hasn't provided plenty of other reasons for panning the show.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:50:58 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 24, 2017, 03:26:50 AM »
I can't think of many instances where getting hyped has made my expectations lower. And before you cry about my fangirling, that has little to do with my hype and everything to do with being blinded as a fangirl. Generally if I'm hyped about something (cough and such watchdogs coughing) it raises my expectations dramatically, which is one of the main reasons I've tried to stop hyping myself about things.

Also, I'm not conceding it's "shit", just that it's not good. It was an okay/alright show I enjoyed thanks to some characters and plotlines (Ward and Ward); most of my argument is literally "I don't think it's as bad as people say". The difference between a 2/10 rating and a 5/10 rating.

I know you have a hard time with subjectivity and people having differing opinions (granted, I just find it really fucking annoying when people say shit like "in x amount of time you'll agree" as some weird way to deflect disagreement off to some vague future point), but I'm so non-enamoured by this show that I'm confident my opinion on it is not likely to change much. Just like I think the same of Daredevil season 1 as I did after I watched it, or Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage, or Daredevil season 2...

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:32 PM »
I can't think of many instances where getting hyped has made my expectations lower. And before you cry about my fangirling, that has little to do with my hype and everything to do with being blinded as a fangirl. Generally if I'm hyped about something (cough and such watchdogs coughing) it raises my expectations dramatically, which is one of the main reasons I've tried to stop hyping myself about things.

Also, I'm not conceding it's "shit", just that it's not good. It was an okay/alright show I enjoyed thanks to some characters and plotlines (Ward and Ward); most of my argument is literally "I don't think it's as bad as people say". The difference between a 2/10 rating and a 5/10 rating.

I know you have a hard time with subjectivity and people having differing opinions (granted, I just find it really fucking annoying when people say shit like "in x amount of time you'll agree" as some weird way to deflect disagreement off to some vague future point), but I'm so non-enamoured by this show that I'm confident my opinion on it is not likely to change much. Just like I think the same of Daredevil season 1 as I did after I watched it, or Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage, or Daredevil season 2...

The show is bad and your opinions are bad. Also, I want to see a fight between Danny and Liam Neeson's character from the Taken movies:

(btw I meant to say "standards" instead of "expectations")

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 29, 2017, 03:22:55 AM »
Marvel's Luke Cage

Well, I finished it a few days ago, so this is not "just watched", but whatever. I enjoyed it. The character is no longer Generic Buff Black Dude, has a lot more to do than in Jessica Jones, and he's much more interesting and likeable. Mike Colter is a much better actor than I thought he was, though sometimes hammy dialogue serves him poorly. I forgot the other actors except Rosario Dawson, who similarly has much more going on than in previous shows while remaining true to her character. The villains in the first half are well-grounded scumbags with lots of character, the villain in the second half is a crazy Bible-quoting gangster with less character but I thought he was hilarious in a good way, so whatever.

The music is mostly very good, mixing hip-hop, blaxploitation-y funk, jazz, blues, soul etc. and relating that to the Harlem setting, which is well realised as a place and a community. I was generally invested in Cage's campaign to save it from criminal businessmen and corrupt politicians, because it seemed worth saving. It felt much more "real" than the Hell's Kitchen setting of previous Marvel Netflix thingies, which didn't seem much different than any generic New York setting seen in countless other shows and movies, and the musical culture is a big part of why that is. I didn't like all of the music, though, there are performances from actual groups and rappers in most episodes, one by The Delfonics is ear-gratingly bad.

It's a lot better than I was expecting it to be, overall, and I didn't think it dropped in quality in the second half either. There isn't really much point in me recommending it since there are only two other people here I'm aware of who even care about Marvel stuff and they already saw it ages ago, but I liked it.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 02, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
I, Ron Fist

The story of Ron Fist, a magical man with fisting powers, and in a way the story of us all. Danny Rand returns to New York from Vaguely Chinese-sounding Magical Place after 15 years. Presumed dead by his friends, he was actually rescued from a plane crash over the Himalayas by monks who then trained him to become Ron Fist. Now he's back but no one believes he is who he says he is. Is he Danny Rand or is he Ron Fist? This central question provides the abstract for a 12-hour video essay on the nature of identity, which begins clinically, but ends, as these things so often do, with a credits sequence.

All joking aside (the above is actually all true though), I really cannot understand how this show has attracted such massively negative criticism. A lot of people are saying it doesn't hit the bar set by the first season of Daredevil, but if that's a good reason to throw it to the dogs where was all the shouting about how awful every other Marvel Netflix show is? Is it really the case that a couple of crappy fight scenes can detract from the really solid character-driven drama at the heart of the show? I don't get it, not at all. I'd put it slightly above Luke Cage, it doesn't have the memorable soundtrack, but it also maintains a mood and pace throughout which its predecessor had some trouble with, especially towards the end.

For me the fact that everyone acts their parts really well, that the story is interesting, that it moves along at a good pace, is more than enough to make the show enjoyable. The history of the Rand and Meachum families, effectively co-owners and operators of the Rand Corporation, is the emotional background of the story, and the writers managed to tie it into everywhere else the story goes in a clean, but not simplistic fashion. Like Daredevil, the Hand, which is basically the mafia but with magical ninjas, plays a big role, which means Kung Fu Grandma is back, and she's pretty great in this, playing an even more mysterious role than last time. I really liked that they managed to bring back old villains but keep them fresh, especially after Daredevil's second season made them so ridiculous.

Also back is (surprise!) Rosario Dawson, who just can't seem to stop bumping into magical punchy dudes all day every day. That's okay, she's good. Matrix Lady is also back in a somewhat reduced but crucial-ish role, all her actual doings seem to happen off-screen, which I guess is fine since there isn't enough room for legal doodle doo on top of everything else. References to the other Netflix superheroes are pretty abundant, which I guess is leading up to The Defenders, which I'm not particularly looking forward to, since if three Avengers movies have taught me anything it's that shoving a bunch of headliner characters together and expecting the juggling act to work only pays off 33.3333333333333333333333333333333333333% of the time.

The show-specific cast does a great job, the Meachum family has really good chemistry and their story really comes to life over the course of the show. David Wenham steals pretty much every scene he's in with his fantastically menacing performance, while Tom Pelphrey and Jessica Stroup do really well as siblings, their relationship's dynamic changing fluidly with the situation. It's a really good ensemble performance all round. Jessica Henwick does a good job of portraying her character's anxiety concerning her position in the events of the story without going too far, she also delivers some of the show's most engaging fight scenes.

The most contentious part of the show seems to be Finn Jones and the Danny Rand character itself. And I can kind of see why, it's very easy for him to come across like a whiny Milquetoast hipster with no redeeming qualities, but I think the writing and the performance tell a much different story. The fact that he spent 15 years away from the "real world" shows through his naïveté, childish petulance, the way he looks to violence as a simple solution to almost everything; he hasn't moved on from that plane crash, he is essentially still a 10 year old. Both the writing and Finn Jones's characterisation are really good at bringing all of that out, and I think to say "his pretend kung fu is shaky therefore he is garbage" is just dumb when there's so much else going on with the character. I thought the whole portrayal, but especially in the second half, was a solid examination of conflicting responsibilities, clashes of desire and duty, and how indoctrination can affect young, vulnerable people.

It's true that you'd expect a guy who spent 15 years training in literally the most exclusive monastery ever and attained the power of Ronnie Fisticles to be really really amazingly good at martial arts and stuff, and Finn Jones is definitely not that, but he's also not terrible, and he has plenty of time to improve between series. A few lacklustre fights can't put the show at the bottom of the Netflix pile in terms of action, since there are many other capable martial artists around and they can more than pick up the slack on that end. I've seen people talking about how the titular fisting should look like fire or something, whereas Danny Rand just has a glowing hand that he fists things with real hard, but it's made pretty clear throughout that Danny didn't complete his training, and still has a lot to learn before he can be considered a true Fisty Bob. The dual nature of the character, and the fact that both halves are incomplete, is what makes him interesting.

I wasn't expecting I'd have that much to say about it, also I'm very tired and this probably doesn't read very well. Overall I think I, Ron Fist is really good. I look forward to a second season, which hopefully we'll get since despite the critical response it has seen a massive viewership. Also hopefully The Defenders won't suck.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:55:00 PM by Crudblud »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »
I've only watched the first episode, so far, but I've liked what I've seen.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: April 11, 2017, 02:17:36 PM »
So, I'm most of the way through Iron Fist and I'm not seeing the garbage fire that other reviewers have seen. If anything, this is the first of the Netflix Marvels to not seriously dip in quality after the half-way mark since Daredevil S1.

That said, there are problems. While The Hand  is at their most interesting in this show, they still don't sit right with me. The whole 'secret cabal of kung-fu ninjas' seems wildly at odds with 'runners of an international drug ring.' It would be like finding out that the secret power behind Kunlun was a highly successful tax accountancy firm.

Equally, after a strong first couple of episodes, Danny Rand is a really oddly drawn character. Sometimes he acts like you would expect someone who has spent 15 years in one of the world's strictest monasteries to behave, the next minute he's struggling to control his emotions, or being street-smart or business-savvy.

I've got about 5 episodes left, so we'll see if some of the issues above are addressed, but at the moment, it's an enjoyable, if flawed TV show.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: April 12, 2017, 07:50:52 AM »
In a sudden fit of masochism, I've been catching up on The Flash (the TV show). It hasn't gotten much better. :]

In fact, I mainly wanted to post about the three-part crossover between The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl.  Holy shit. The first episode was eh, the second was awful, then the third went to fucking horrendous. "Hey I heard some aliens say 'klick-clac-to nick-lava shack-too' what's that mean" "Oh it means 'the weapon is almost ready'" "Wow how convenient they were dumping that exposition as we walked by and also that I remembered the specifics of some random language I heard :)".

Fuck that. It was actually a fresh of breath air when it was back to The Flash. People were still making utterly dumbfuck decisions but at least it was an increase in quality.

Also fuck, how much shit they give Barry for time-travel and how much gravitas and danger is lent to it in The Flash, only for Legends to come around and time-travel all over the fucking place willy-nilly. "Barry you fucked up my life and I hate you for traveling through time to fix things without considering the consequences, time travel is awful" "Hey Cisco wanna travel through time to catch an alien" "Fuck yeah!!"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:53:02 AM by Snupes »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: April 17, 2017, 03:53:38 AM »
Rectify (Ray McKinnon, 2013-2016)

Four years later, almost to the day it first aired, I've finally finished Rectify. I don't know if any show has ever made me feel the massive range of emotions this one has, how much it's torn me up and stitched me back together. It's on Netflix. I couldn't give it a higher recommendation, no matter what kind of shows you normally like. And I don't know if any show has ever ended so perfectly, or earned its ending as much as this has. If they aired another season, I'd watch it for sure, but I'm glad they won't because it couldn't have finished any better than this did. Everything came full circle, and this show on its own almost taught me to feel hope and find it in darkness.

Honestly. It's perfect. It's almost how I felt when I finished Breath of the Wild. I don't feel any need to defend this show or march it around, argue about it, because it just is. It speaks for itself. It's complete, immaculate, a closed experience. I just feel satisfied.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: April 21, 2017, 02:56:01 AM »
A Series of Unfortunate Events (Mark Hudis and Barry Sonnenfeld, Season 1, 2017)

I read these books a number of times in my childhood, so I was tentatively excited but with low hopes about this show. Fortunately, it's really good, and it's just as dry and absurdist as the books are. The story forgoes almost all logic or reason in favour of what it thinks will be the most entertaining at times, and it's all the better for it. Lemony Snicket's narration is one of the highlights of the show, with wry observations of scenarios and non-sequiturs tangentially related to what we're watching. And, as the title would imply and any reader of the books would know, it's a miserable, sad story, one that you are urged not to watch, one that you will be a happier person without.

I'm excited for the next two seasons.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: April 23, 2017, 02:25:57 AM »
Watched iron fist,  Jessica Jones,  Luke cage,  and about to finish 13 reasons why,

Idk didn't care much for Luke cage, iron fist was entertaining but a but silly and the worst fight scenes,  13 reasons why is ok
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Rama Set

« Reply #1753 on: April 23, 2017, 02:42:37 AM »
How about Jessica Jones?

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: April 23, 2017, 02:51:54 AM »
I liked the character,  but the plot was kinda dumb and still don't get how for a whole season she's chasing a guy whose power she's immune to.. feel Like it should've been easier to figure out lol
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: April 23, 2017, 03:17:12 AM »
Iron Fist (2017)

I still think it's shit. It's hard to write a post like this "rebutting" previous positive reviews of the show, as I don't want to just be saying "I disagree" a lot. But at the same time, the enormous, fatal flaws with this are simply obvious to me, to the degree that I'm astonished it's gotten passes from people here. This was obviously a rush job squeezed out in less than a year to fulfill Marvel's contract with Netflix, handled by people who had no real love of or even interest in the source material, and Marvel clearly knew it was a dud before they released it, as shown by the lack of any real promotion or marketing in the weeks leading up to its release, especially in comparison to the other shows.

The writing is awful across the board, including the dialogue, the characterization, and the plot. Like, the show tries to establish that Ward is a douchebag by showing him as a teenager angrily refusing to follow the rules of Monopoly and eventually upending the board because "Rules are for pussies." That is atrocious writing. Same with a scene where Danny's hanging out in Central Park, and a random fucking hobo approaches him to offer to lend him a phone he can use to look up people. That is hackery as straight-up as it comes. Nobody who wrote that shit down and called it acceptable has any business working as a screenwriter. Now, both of those scenes were in the pilot, and I've heard a lot of defenses that the show gets better as it goes on. That's true enough, because the first three episodes are padding. You could skip them easily and miss nothing of value (insert joke about the overall show's value here) as the story doesn't really begin until the fourth episode. We know that this person who's struggling to prove his identity is really Danny Rand. He must be, because why else would this show, called Iron Fist, be following his perspective? So it's basically just three hours of dead air.

It does get better once the oh-so-narratively-rich issue of "Can Danny prove his identity?" is settled, but even then, the show has problems. One is how it tries to handle the subject of K'un-Lun and Danny's training. I feel like it should have taken one of two approaches here. One would be to really show off K'un Lun, build a cool set for it and everything, and show what Danny had to go through to become the Iron Fist. They could have relegated it to a single episode, like Luke Cage, or shown it in chronological flashbacks every episode, like Arrow. Alternatively, they could have downplayed what happened in K'un Lun. Danny returns to New York, eager to rejoin the world he knew in his childhood, avoid talking about where he's been or what he's been doing, until something happens that draws him back to that life. However, the show tries to go for a middle ground that doesn't work at all - they never show anything more than brief glimpses of K'un Lun, and try to compensate by having Danny constantly talking about it. He never fucking shuts up. When I was in K'un Lun this, back in K'un Lun that. Even if Finn Jones was a fantastic actor, this would be a bad idea. I'm hesitant to say this because of how clichéd it's become, but this is a textbook violation of the "show, don't tell" rule. It doesn't work to have a character just talk about how impactful this one thing was and have the audience just know what it was like.

On the notion of Danny himself, easily the worst character in the MCU. His personality frequently lurches from extreme to extreme, his behavior and knowledge of social norms have no consistency, and I have severe doubts about how intentional any of this was. It makes no sense that someone like him had the strength and discipline to become the Iron Fist (quibbles about him not finishing his training are just that, quibbles). I also don't like the portrayal of the Hand here, as I discussed with Snupes on IRC:

<Saddam> By the way, is it a thing in the comics that the Iron Fist can only be used occasionally and briefly, because of his chi being drained?
<Snupes> Yeah, but not to the show's extent
<Saddam> Lazy way to handicap the hero
<Saddam> Luke Cage did the same thing with the dumb Judas bullets element
<Snupes> Yeah
<Snupes> I mean, if Danny could use the Fist nonstop the show would be pretty short
<Snupes> But the way they made it like "well i can punch once per century :)" was pretty dumg
<Saddam> Not if the show was smart about it and gave him situations that appropriately challenged his power level
<Snupes> Sure but he's also going to be teaming up with a blind kung-fu man
<Snupes> If it was superhuman strength + superhuman strength and invulnerability + super superhuman strength + blind guy who is pretty good at fighting, Daredevil would be sad
<Saddam> That's the same logic people use to argue that Hawkeye and Black Widow are useless to the Avengers
<Snupes> I mean
<Snupes> Black Widow is a bit different because she's got super agility and super spy training
<Snupes> Hawkeye has magical arrows that will do literally anything
<Snupes> Daredevil is hard to catch off-guard and can beat up normal people and most ninjas
<Saddam> Okay, I remembered something I wanted to baw about with Ronald Fisting
<Saddam> The show's portrayal of Madame Gao and the Hand contradicts much of what was in Daredevil, and is overall a very reductive treatment
<Saddam> The people behind the show just looked at Gao and figured that she was an evil Asian character, and therefore must have been in the Hand
<Saddam> There's no way in hell she was meant to be part of it when Daredevil was being made
<Saddam> Iron Fist does have plenty of Asian villains that aren't part of the Hand, right?
<Saddam> And the notion of there being multiple different factions of the Hand manages the difficult feat of simultaneously being overly-convoluted while also being overly-simplistic and reductive
<Saddam> And it hurt me to see a cool character like Gao being forced to utter the show's inane dialogue
<Snupes> I'm pretty sure there are a few non-Hand Asian villains, yeah
<Saddam> The crazy ninjas from Daredevil have absolutely nothing in common with these mystical drug dealers

Finally, to revisit the subject of the action scenes - they're still really bad, and the fact that Jones doesn't know martial arts is only part of it. These directors don't understand how to make action good. There's very rarely any style or creativity with the fights. The combatants don't move in any interesting ways, they don't fight in any interesting ways - it's just standard, generic, hit-them-until-they-fall-down shit. The physics of the fights are often off, as we see characters tanking through heavy blows and being staggered backwards or knocked down by light taps, and when the camera isn't constantly cutting to disguise the lack of solid choreography, it's filming the action in the most flat, unengaged way possible. This is a show about a magical kung fu master. It should have kickass fight scenes, not this lazy cribbing from Taken. I'll go further. Fucking Arrow has better fight scenes than this, at least in the first two seasons. Come to think of it, the first two seasons of Arrow are better than this show in pretty much every way.

I'm sad to say that this show being so underwhelming has hurt my excitement for The Defenders. It's like future filmmakers trying to improve the DCEU after Zack Snyder pissed all over everything with BvS. You can't build a stable house on a rotten foundation. I don't like Danny, and I don't want to see more of him. I suppose it's possible that there might be some character development for him there, but I doubt that the people behind that show would be willing to call out this show for having such an odious, entitled douchebag as its supposed hero. Oh, and Snupes, I wouldn't get my hopes up about Danny having his costume for Defenders. They've already released one teaser showing him very prominently without any disguise, even as Matt is making an effort to wear a mask. Which makes sense. You can't un-introduce Danny. He's already been established as someone who has no interest in wearing a special outfit or hiding his identity at all, and undoubtedly dozens of people already know what he can do.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: April 23, 2017, 04:08:35 AM »
I mean, we already know the Iron Fist wears an outfit; we saw it in the show. I don't doubt that once Danny becomes a fully-trained Iron Fist or whatever he'll get it, I just don't think it will be in The Defenders at this rate.

Also Matt is wearing what's clearly Jessica's scarf, so I'm pretty sure something happens that forces them all to rush out of that building so Jessica hands it to him.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: April 23, 2017, 10:49:37 PM »
Steve Jobs (Danny Boyle, 2015)

This was really good. I'm not judging it on any similarities to reality, but on its own basis as a film, and it was a really good film. They did a great job not glorifying Jobs, but also very accurately portraying what he was trying to do, or at least what he believed he was trying to do. He felt he could make a dent in the universe, profit be damned, and he tried. It got a bit too soppy from the end, which, after spending the first 1.5 hours being harsh and realistic, betrayed its integrity a bit. Overall, though, good film.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: April 24, 2017, 01:38:48 AM »
Steve Jobs (Danny Boyle, 2015)

This was really good. I'm not judging it on any similarities to reality, but on its own basis as a film, and it was a really good film. They did a great job not glorifying Jobs, but also very accurately portraying what he was trying to do, or at least what he believed he was trying to do. He felt he could make a dent in the universe, profit be damned, and he tried. It got a bit too soppy from the end, which, after spending the first 1.5 hours being harsh and realistic, betrayed its integrity a bit. Overall, though, good film.

If you haven't seen Pirates of Silicon Valley, you should.

Offline MrCuriosity

• Mommy dropped me off and never came back :c
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: April 26, 2017, 04:39:34 AM »