Flat Earth Experiment Suggestion
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:50:46 AM »
Is it possible for someone to do an experiment at the salt flats in Utah? I have an idea, but with no means to implement it. Say you attach a very strong laser light, with a bubble level, to a pole about 10 inches off the ground, then have someone else 5 miles away mark another pole at 10 inches off the ground. If the light was powerful enough to reach it without spreading out. shouldn't it hit pretty close to the 10 inch mark if the earth is flat? Just thinking/typing out loud.

Re: Flat Earth Experiment Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
How about this? Lots of towers of equal height, you can sight along them and see the curve.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/news-science/power-lines-curvature-earth-04233/

totallackey

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:23:17 AM »
How about this? Lots of towers of equal height, you can sight along them and see the curve.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/news-science/power-lines-curvature-earth-04233/
It is readily appearent this photo does not even depict the inset illustration provided along with the photograph.

What a person sees in this photo is the clearly the result of lense compression.

This entire video and the stills taken from it have been thoroughly debunked.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »

It is readily appearent this photo does not even depict the inset illustration provided along with the photograph.

What a person sees in this photo is the clearly the result of lense compression.

This entire video and the stills taken from it have been thoroughly debunked.

Actually, that is not true. The last time this was posted, the FE side was caught lying and essentially gave up on the thread. They said things like the towers aren't on the lake (they are) and that someone contacted Google Earth and had the pics removed or something along those lines.

Lens compression doesn't cause towers to curve below the horizon. LC is when background objects appear larger than they are.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »
Does lens compression make straight lines curved?
This is the trouble with the flat earth mentality, and any conspiracy theory mentality.
Anything which shows it to be wrong is dismissed as fake or explained away in some other way.

I will suggest elsewhere some experiments which could be done to validate (or not) the FE model.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 01:56:23 PM »
Does lens compression make straight lines curved?
This is the trouble with the flat earth mentality, and any conspiracy theory mentality.
Anything which shows it to be wrong is dismissed as fake or explained away in some other way.

I will suggest elsewhere some experiments which could be done to validate (or not) the FE model.
It does not. The technique used by the video creator was shown by a few other astute fellows to only enhance a curve, however slight. If something was in fact flat, the viewing technique could not make it appear curved. As Stinky mentioned, the last time this was brought up, the FE side consisted of claims that they didn't exist. Which were shown to be false. They claimed it was a photomanipulation, for which they evidence they provided consisted of a pair of tweets of him asking how to do something, and an image of poles similar to this one. Not enough to hold up in any court. I found a link to someone repeating a similar experiment under much more controlled conditions, and his showings lent some credence to this camera 'trick' working in the way described, as well as displaying that it did not by itself make a flat length appear curved.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 03:51:00 PM »
Great. So case closed, the earth is a globe after all. I guess we can now shut this place down.

This is the problem with suggesting experiments to people who start with the premise of a flat earth (it is claimed to be an "obvious truth" in the Wiki").
If that is your starting point then everything which shows that to be wrong has to be called fake or dismissed somehow.
I also remember the previous thread where the FE response was those towers didn't exist before it was shown conclusively that they do.

If they really are as bothered by empirical evidence as they claim then they can't just keep ignoring stuff like this. Any enquiring mind needs to be open to changing views based on new evidence.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »
Great. So case closed, the earth is a globe after all. I guess we can now shut this place down.

This is the problem with suggesting experiments to people who start with the premise of a flat earth (it is claimed to be an "obvious truth" in the Wiki").
If that is your starting point then everything which shows that to be wrong has to be called fake or dismissed somehow.
I also remember the previous thread where the FE response was those towers didn't exist before it was shown conclusively that they do.

If they really are as bothered by empirical evidence as they claim then they can't just keep ignoring stuff like this. Any enquiring mind needs to be open to changing views based on new evidence.
A good starting point is 'what is the shape of the earth?'  We are waiting for Tom to describe how he will achieve this.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
Is it possible for someone to do an experiment at the salt flats in Utah? I have an idea, but with no means to implement it. Say you attach a very strong laser light, with a bubble level, to a pole about 10 inches off the ground, then have someone else 5 miles away mark another pole at 10 inches off the ground. If the light was powerful enough to reach it without spreading out. shouldn't it hit pretty close to the 10 inch mark if the earth is flat? Just thinking/typing out loud.

You don't necessarily need to visit an exotic location as the Utah Salt Flats. You can find a level surface with minimal haze and distortions on a still winter morning on any sizeable lake. If you're near Toronto I would like to pool together resources for such an experiment.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:53:10 PM by bobsaget86 »