Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
I don't watch the show until it premiers on Netflix. Cable is dumb.

Ghost of V

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »

I guess you're in boy scouts too, right?

Ghost of V

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2014, 04:54:34 PM »
New footage from series 8, no spoilers... just some clips.

The whole "Am I a good man?" being a deep/serious question in the trailer is actually quite different with some context.  Brilliant delivery from Capaldi.

12th: "Am I a good man?
Clara: "... I don't know"
12th: "Well, that's just keen". *gets up and walks away*

Also

12th: "This is um..."
Clara: "I'm his carer"
12th: "Yeah, my carer. She cares so I don't have to."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:05:54 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »
I saw something on Twitter where he said he was not going to be a "user-friendly Doctor" or something like that.

Ghost of V

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »
I saw something on Twitter where he said he was not going to be a "user-friendly Doctor" or something like that.

I read that too. I also read that there would be no flirting between the Doctor and his companions, which I firmly support.

I know I'm in the majority here, but I'm glad 12 is a darker figure than his predecessors.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm excited.

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2014, 04:01:12 AM »

You might be able to watch it direcly from the PBS website, or I know you can get it directly from the BBC if you know how to change your DNS settings.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2014, 04:08:15 AM »
Lol, PBS.  Doctor Who is on the same channel as Barney.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2014, 04:30:56 AM »
Lol, PBS.  Doctor Who is on the same channel as Barney.

Barney is one of the Doctor's faces. He gives up trying to save the universe and settles down into a life of frightening small children.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2014, 05:05:33 AM »
Doctor who is House?
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Ghost of V

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2014, 05:11:23 AM »
The Doctor could be House MD if he sealed his Time Lord essences inside his fob watch. He wouldn't even know he was The Doctor. Could totally be a canon theory. Although it would have to be a future incarnation of the Doctor that looks like House.

I have an even better theory that Willy Wonka is the Doctor, but that will have to wait until another time.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:13:09 AM by Vauxhall »

Ghost of V

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2014, 07:39:30 AM »
So, Deep Breath is out there now. Who's seen it?

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »
It starts off really badly. The first 20-25 minutes are atrocious, bad special effects, weird character reactions, stupid Moffitt shit that doesn't make sense. After that though it steadily improves. Capaldi looks to be a great choice for the Doctor.

Ghost of V

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
It starts off really badly. The first 20-25 minutes are atrocious, bad special effects, weird character reactions, stupid Moffitt shit that doesn't make sense. After that though it steadily improves. Capaldi looks to be a great choice for the Doctor.

I thought the beginning was fine. It developed Clara in a way we have never seen before, and she really needed it because previously her character was stale as hell.

I really don't like the Paternoster Gang. I feel like their characters are forced. Vastra is the most annoying one to me, we get it... You're a lesbian that kills people, so edgy. Shut up already!

Peter Capaldi as the Doctor is just brilliant. I expected nothing less though. I loved his speech in the skin balloon, easily as good as 11s speech in The Eleventh Hour.  Although, as an introduction to the Doctor: Eleventh Hour is superior as an episode. Deep Breath was still amazing, and 12 really pushes forth a new paradigm shift for the show.

The ending was interesting. Missy, Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere, is obviously River Song. All that "Heaven" and "Promised Land" talk is the same verbiage that was used when referring to the super computer in the Library with 10, where River Song died and was uploaded. At least, this seems to be what Moffat wants the viewer to think since the references were made very obvious (Missy = Miss Evangelista?).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:39:24 PM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 08:17:29 PM »
I think the issue with Clara is that her reaction to the Doctor's regeneration is ridiculous considering she'd met three versions of the Doctor in the 50th anniversary including the oldie John Hurt version. And she did that that thing where she somehow went through his past to help out all of his previous incarnations. So really she should have coped pretty well with the regeneration. Although her character development was much better than previous episodes.

I'm worried that Missy might be short for Mistress, a female version of the Master.

Ghost of V

« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2014, 08:30:27 PM »
I think the issue with Clara is that her reaction to the Doctor's regeneration is ridiculous considering she'd met three versions of the Doctor in the 50th anniversary including the oldie John Hurt version. And she did that that thing where she somehow went through his past to help out all of his previous incarnations. So really she should have coped pretty well with the regeneration. Although her character development was much better than previous episodes.

I'm worried that Missy might be short for Mistress, a female version of the Master.

I thought about that too. Why is she so surprised? I think the reason is that while she did travel through his timestream and meet literally every incarnation of the Doctor except 12... Matt Smith was her Doctor. She flirted with him, had a connection with him, and thought he was charming. She is familiar with regeneration, but it is finally dawning on her that 12 is going to be the new Doctor from now on and she's going to be traveling with him. As opposed to her just meddling in his time stream. She was kind of detached from the previous incarnations because she didn't have to really spend time with them. She probably thought "this is never going to happen to my Doctor", and when it did she was devastated.

Missy could be many things at this point. I thought about the Master, but Moffat already said the Master would not be returning this season (he could be lying). Right now I think Missy is either River Song, dark twisted version of Clara that was maybe trapped in the timestream, the Master (which I doubt), or just a completely new character. We know that River Song's arc was supposedly finished, but anything could happen considering this is Doctor Who.

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »
Maybe Moffat would want to resurrect River Song? But then why would she have a different body in the Library computer?

Ghost of V

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »
Missy could be a mix of River Song and Miss Evangelista, but that's really a stretch. Personally I think it would be awesome if River Song came back with a grudge against the Doctor. This season seems to be focused on The Doctor's past mistakes and "redeeming" himself, and I think that clockwork robots returning is part of this as well. The clockwork robot died at the end of the episode, but was brought back presumably by Missy... We normally don't see full on resurrection without time travel or some BS justifying it, but the clockwork bot could have been uploaded into the library computer, similar to how River Song was resurrected. Missy calling it the Nethersphere could be a nod at how River Song came to hate being trapped in the library super computer, and she could be holding a grudge against The Doctor because of that. Being a timelord, River could easily figure out some way to make the library more than just a fake environment. She could be projecting the library into the real world.

The Doctor saw saving River Song as a good thing, but when you think about it... would you like to be uploaded into a computer and spend eternity living in a fake world?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:14:47 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »
I really liked 'Deep Breath' apart from three things:

The Vastra/Jenny "we're married." thing. Yeah, we got it the first time you told us, you don't need to repeat it ad nauseum.

"Oh gosh, isn't the Doctor old?" Why is that so very shocking?

Clara's reaction. As Vauxy said, she's interacted with every previous regeneration, seen the War Doctor, etc.

I'm glad that the episode was given as long as it was to get into its stride, it's a refreshing change of pace from the manic breathlessness of the last couple of seasons. The restaurant scene and the bluff against the clockwork man demonstrated that Clara has potential, I'm still not sold on her a season on yet.

Also, Eleven's posthumous phonecall seemed like a bit of a slap in the face to Capaldi, every other Doctor has been given his own chance to prove himself in the role and win over the fans, I feel like Moffat is treating the audience too preciously with Capaldi.

I'd say 7/10 - Good, but should have been braver and given the audience more credit.

Ghost of V

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2014, 01:26:24 AM »
You bring up some good points. I thought seeing the 11th Doctor was awesome and had a lot of potential in theory, but not how it happened. It was sort of a slap in the face, because I already accepted the new Doctor the moment he popped up.

Clara is rumored to leave at the end of this season. I would be interested in seeing 12 travel alone for a little while.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:28:48 AM by Vauxhall »