Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #420 on: December 29, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
I watched my brother play it and I didn't care for the look of it. The elements I loved about the first one seem to be gone in the second. I like the closed-off, secluded, and restrictive feeling of being isolated inside a building not really knowing what's happening. In the second you have Alyx, a whole city, and some weird new alien/human empire crap. Eh.

The environment is different, but the gameplay is pretty much the same. If you found the first one to be fun, the second one will be too, regardless of how you feel about the change in setting.
But the environment was why I loved it. sigh

The gameplay was okay, but probably not enough for me to care for the second game. My brother bought me Half-Life 2 along with Portal... maybe one day I'll install and play it.
Download Black Mesa source.  Its half-life 1 upgraded graphically.  More, more accurately, totally redone.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 29, 2014, 04:59:02 PM »
Download Black Mesa source.  Its half-life 1 upgraded graphically.  More, more accurately, totally redone.

It is a really dick move to advertise Black Mesa Source to people without also mentioning the game isn't finished.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 29, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »

It is a really dick move to advertise Black Mesa Source to people without also mentioning the game isn't finished.
Neither is HL2, technically.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 29, 2014, 09:52:57 PM »

No, not technically. There's a big difference between finishing the game and finishing the story. Black Mesa Source has done neither.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 29, 2014, 09:57:16 PM »

No, not technically. There's a big difference between finishing the game and finishing the story. Black Mesa Source has done neither.
Fair point but given her preference on environment, I'd guess it has all the parts she likes.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #425 on: January 04, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »
I'm playing Far Cry 4.  It's basically FC3 set in Skyrim.  Okay, there are a few new things they've added, like a neat rock-climbing system with grappling hooks, and elephant-riding, but overall, it's pretty disappointing how little they've changed.  I suppose there are worse games to be derivative of than FC3, though.  And at least this time you're not playing as an idiot dudebro who comes to dominate an exotic land with his glorious whiteness.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:04:38 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 04, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »
I'm playing Far Cry 4.  It's basically FC3 set in Skyrim.  Okay, there are a few new things they've added, like a neat rock-climbing system with grappling hooks, and elephant-riding, but overall, it's pretty disappointing how little they've changed.  I suppose there are worse games to be derivative of than FC3, though.  And at least this time you're not playing as an idiot dudebro who comes to dominate an exotic land with his glorious whiteness.

but saddam the stereotype is there on purpose to make a point that makes it okay right

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2015, 09:18:40 PM »
I beat Ass's Creed.  It had the worst ending to a video game that I've ever seen.  I'm being generous by even calling it an ending.  It doesn't end so much as it just...stops.  Nothing is resolved.  Nothing is concluded.  There's setting up potential sequels, and then there's not even bothering to wrap up the story you're telling.  What bullshit.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2015, 09:31:02 PM »
The series was originally planned to be a trilogy.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2015, 11:54:22 PM »
It still ought to have concluded its own story within the greater context of the overall story arc.  Apparently the second game begins with Desmond escaping from Abstergo.  They should have made that the ending to the first game instead.  Or better yet, they should have cut out the stupid modern-day storyline altogether, seeing how it added absolutely nothing of value to the game.

Other complaints: The controls are shit, particularly in how movement is handled.  Having to hold down two buttons to sprint (and repeatedly hit a third to shove people out of your way) is ridiculous.  I don't like how the game handles cutscenes, either.  It's actually kind of difficult to follow what's happening and who's saying what when the camera is focused on Altair and you can only squint at a couple of figures in the distance, the occasional "glitches" aside.  The abrupt transition into fantasy with the final level was kind of weird, but I rolled with it, and the "twist" concerning the final antagonist's identity was so obvious that I can't believe it actually took anyone by surprise.  The lack of subtitles really bugged me, too.

All in all, 6/10 was okay.  Should I get the later titles?  They got better reviews than the first one, it looks like.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:13:19 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2015, 11:59:48 PM »
No, you shouldn't get the other ACs. They're all terrible games mostly for the above reasons you've stated and the reasons I've given in my previous post about AC.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 12, 2015, 01:17:24 PM »
Just started playing Alien: Isolation. It's one of the scariest games I've ever played. The first hour or so of gameplay is just atmosphere building, I hadn't even come across an enemy and I was jumping at shadows and swearing when a wire sparked. It has captured the  feeling of dread and paranoia from the first film perfectly.

Unlike most of the dreadful Alien games, the xenomorph isn't a run-of-the-mill mook to be torn apart by pulse rifles. It's a terrifying predator who can appear at any time, anywhere. It can't be fought, killed or ran away from; all you can do is hide.

The graphics are clearly pushing the PS3 to the edge and, stylistically, it slides right into the grimy, lived-in world of Alien. The sounds feel authentic and help to create the horror. The only criticism so far is that the human models seem... off and there isn't particularly a lot of depth or characterisation to the smattering of secondary characters.

I've read in other reviews that it goes downhill in later chapters, but so far it is excruciatingly brilliant. The only horror game to actually scare me since the GameCube remake of Resident Evil.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:24:42 PM by Ghost Spaghetti »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #432 on: January 13, 2015, 01:13:32 AM »
Against literally everyone's advice, I went ahead and bought AssCreeds II and III.  I wonder if skipping over Brotherhood and Revelations will hamper my enjoyment of III.  Probably, but I don't want to be spending ridiculous amounts of money on all this.  Anyway, so far #II seems to be quite an improvement over the first one.  The combat is a little better, jumping and climbing feels a lot more smooth and natural, the story and characters are vastly improved, and in general there's just much more cool stuff to do.  As far as I can tell, this game does what good sequels do - keep true to the core elements of the original while being innovative enough to feel like a fresh new experience.

There's really only one thing that the first game did better, and that's the whole Animus framing device.  Don't get me wrong, I still hate the retarded modern-day storyline, and I don't want to rant too much about that because I'm sure I'd just be preaching to the choir.  But here's the thing, though - at least they were trying to do something with it in the first game.  The overarching goal is to stay synchronized with Altair's memories, and the gameplay reflects that.  Rather than health, you have a certain amount of synchronization. You lose synchronization when you deviate from your memories by doing things that Altair didn't, like falling off buildings, getting your ass kicked in fights, or killing innocent civilians.  And as you spend more and more time with Altair, learning more and more about him, you gain more and more synchronization.  Was it worth including in the game, no, but at least it was interesting, and it kind of made sense within its own dopey context.

Too bad it's not in the sequel!  No, instead of playing as a guy who's trying to stay synchronized with his memories of an ancestor, you're playing as a guy who's playing a video game about his ancestor, regular old bar of health included.  They took away the only kind-of neat thing about the Animus, and now its only function is to emphasize style over substance.  And that might not be so bad, if it were any kind of decent style, but it's not.  All the ugly, distracting cyberpunk elements from the first game are magnified here, from the weird lines crackling through the environment to the painfully-bright flashes of light...and those voiceovers from the two douchebags watching over you are the most annoying of all.  There is nothing that shatters immersion more quickly than hearing one of them randomly chime in.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:03:34 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 13, 2015, 02:11:37 AM »
Anyway, so far #II seems to be quite an improvement over the first one. 

Most of the gaming world, as well as myself, totally agree, but be ready for Particle Plaster and Balkno to poo all over you for stating the obvious.

Also, be prepared to be disappointed by the ending again. Pretty much all of them have shit endings.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 13, 2015, 02:16:24 AM »
Yeah please stop having popular opinions omgg

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 13, 2015, 02:18:05 AM »
Yeah please stop having popular opinions omgg

Ass hipster creed

« Reply #436 on: January 13, 2015, 02:52:36 AM »
Anyway, so far #II seems to be quite an improvement over the first one. 

Most of the gaming world, as well as myself, totally agree, but be ready for Particle Plaster and Balkno to poo all over you for stating the obvious.

Also, be prepared to be disappointed by the ending again. Pretty much all of them have shit endings.

Particle Plaster? What the hell is that? At least Balkno makes some sense.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 13, 2015, 03:10:29 AM »
I like the first one better than any of the others but Rushy didn't drag my name through the mud because we're in love.  :-*

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 13, 2015, 03:17:55 AM »
Particle Plaster? What the hell is that? At least Balkno makes some sense.

ur dum

I like the first one better than any of the others but Rushy didn't drag my name through the mud because we're in love.  :-*

Your words are poison. Look at what they did to Thork. Something must have fucked him up, no way he is just naturally the way he is.

« Reply #439 on: January 18, 2015, 12:23:10 AM »
I'm too lazy to go back and read your shitty posts, but do any of you fucks play Heroes of the Storm (or Hearthstone)?
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.