Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »
This thread makes me glad I'm not picky.

Ghost of V

« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2014, 12:41:19 AM »
However, I don't think vanilla Skyrim deserves that title, which is a very important and probably controversial caveat.

You are edgy and your opinions are provocative

Says the person who can't bring up Skyrim without stressing that she doesn't like it.

I was being silly, "controversial" is such a strong word and I just imagined the world stopping and his opinion causing a schism in humanity. Besides, Skyrim (which, to be honest, I really don't like anymore despite having liked it at one time) is irrelevant to this conversations so u gay

Take it to the ES thread. No discussing games here.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2014, 12:44:39 AM »
They actually called me The Edge in elementary school for that very reason. A lot of people (usually people who don't know much about the ES community) seem to think that mods just "don't count" when considering the quality of the game, when they are actually integral. Yes, this means consoles get Diet Elder Scrolls Lite, which is a shame. For every ES game since Morrowind, the process has been this: Bethesda tries to make the game, breaks down when they realize once again that they're terrible developers, and tearfully shoves the incomplete or broken game out the door saying "here, you do it." The modding community then dusts it off and says "there, there, Bethesda. You did your best," and makes it all better. It's a pretty unique development model; I can't think of any other developer that operates in the same way, but it works well.
The vanilla game is the game, the rest is distortion. I like mods as much as anyone, but they didn't come as part of the official release, and any review of Skyrim qua Skyrim should not consider them. "I can make Skyrim a better experience for myself with mods" is fine; "Skyrim is a good game because of optional third party components the original developers had nothing to do with" I just don't buy.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:42 AM »
They actually called me The Edge in elementary school for that very reason. A lot of people (usually people who don't know much about the ES community) seem to think that mods just "don't count" when considering the quality of the game, when they are actually integral. Yes, this means consoles get Diet Elder Scrolls Lite, which is a shame. For every ES game since Morrowind, the process has been this: Bethesda tries to make the game, breaks down when they realize once again that they're terrible developers, and tearfully shoves the incomplete or broken game out the door saying "here, you do it." The modding community then dusts it off and says "there, there, Bethesda. You did your best," and makes it all better. It's a pretty unique development model; I can't think of any other developer that operates in the same way, but it works well.
The vanilla game is the game, the rest is distortion. I like mods as much as anyone, but they didn't come as part of the official release, and any review of Skyrim qua Skyrim should not consider them. "I can make Skyrim a better experience for myself with mods" is fine; "Skyrim is a good game because of optional third party components the original developers had nothing to do with" I just don't buy.

I strongly agree with this.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2014, 12:53:27 AM »
"I can make Skyrim a better experience for myself with mods" is fine; "Skyrim is a good game because of optional third party components the original developers had nothing to do with" I just don't buy.

You just phrased the same idea in two different ways. One just sounds dumber.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2014, 02:53:20 AM »
Bohemia interactive do it with Arma. In fact, they do it 10x better than Bethesda ever could.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2014, 03:16:48 AM »
"I can make Skyrim a better experience for myself with mods" is fine; "Skyrim is a good game because of optional third party components the original developers had nothing to do with" I just don't buy.

Not at all, one is concerning the improvement of one's own experience with the game, the other is to say that the game is objectively good because one has artificially altered one's experience of it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »

Not at all, one is concerning the improvement of one's own experience with the game, the other is to say that the game is objectively good because one has artificially altered one's experience of it.

I would never claim that a game is objectively good. Nearly everybody agrees that being able to improve the game is an extremely important feature, though.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 05, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
I just finished Bioshock Infinite, which I started this morning. At first it was okay-but-meh, and then it turned okay-okay.

The highlight of the game was when I went to the ladies' bathroom and Elizabeth was disgruntled about it.

pic related, it's Elizabeth being upset with my presence in the ladies' restroom.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #269 on: August 24, 2014, 04:19:22 AM »
I started drinking then playing DOOM II on PC through Steam. Literally one of the best games ever made. It still holds up even after all this time. The atmosphere is brilliant. The lounge music creates a great juxtaposition to the violent gameplay. You don't even have to aim, that's how fucking good it is. It still makes me jump at times, especially those invisible fuckers.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:21:38 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 24, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
DOOM and DOOM II is great. Just great.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #271 on: August 24, 2014, 08:31:31 AM »
DOOM and DOOM II is great. Just great.

So good that a better shooter does not exist.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 24, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
DOOM is the granddaddy of aim assist.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #273 on: August 25, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »
Speaking of DOOM, is anyone playing a fun FPS that they'd recommend? I've been really missing Battlefield 2 lately, and the modern versions are just altogether too clunky and gritty (and also expensive). I've always liked CS:S and CS:GO, but they lack the scale and vehicles of BF2. PS2 has gotten fairly boring, and is more similar to modern FPS games.

Ghost of V

« Reply #274 on: August 25, 2014, 11:22:32 PM »
Speaking of DOOM, is anyone playing a fun FPS that they'd recommend? I've been really missing Battlefield 2 lately, and the modern versions are just altogether too clunky and gritty (and also expensive). I've always liked CS:S and CS:GO, but they lack the scale and vehicles of BF2. PS2 has gotten fairly boring, and is more similar to modern FPS games.

DOOM II & Final DOOM.

Also, Halo 1 & 2. Great multiplayer games.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2014, 02:45:22 AM »
I'm playing a fun FPS, Far Cry 3.  Speaking of which, IRC copypasta time:

<Saddam> An old lady tells me that she just saw a plane crash
<Saddam> I go check it out and a guy there tells me that the plane crashed ten years ago
<Saddam> He also says that there is no old lady where I just was
<Saddam> What a twist?
<Saddam> Seriously, does Ubisoft think that's clever writing or something?
<Saddam> "Wow, guys, we're so deep!  The gamers will totally be scratching their heads wondering what it all means!"

That sidequest is pretty much representative of the quality of the writing in this game, which is bad.  Really, really bad.  The dialogue is stupid, most of the characters (especially the protagonist) are annoying and unlikable, and of course, it's huge on the whole "privileged white guy dominates foreign culture and emerges as their savior" trope.  And what particularly bugs me about that last one is that apparently it was done intentionally, because...reasons:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/double-talk-far-cry-3s-lead-writer-explains-the-deceptive-nature-of-th

I can definitely tell that the trope is deliberately exaggerated, but that's really all the game does with it.  There's no parody, no deconstruction, no real criticism, nothing.  It's like they made this huge elaborate setup for a joke and then forgot to deliver the punchline.  And yeah, the writer talks about the twist ending and how that single-handedly manages to totally subvert all the dumb clichés that preceded it, but that's crap.  It's a weird game full of many weird moments, and that ending is just one of them.  Nobody's going to think that it's really some kind of refutation of colonialism.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:55 AM »
Welcome to Ubisoft.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »

The Metroid Prime series. Half FPS, half RPG

Ghost of V

« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2014, 08:03:35 AM »
Metroid Prime is Borderlands.

« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »
As much as I'd love to get my hands on it, the Metroid series is very hard to get copies of.

Metroid Prime is Borderlands.

wut