Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2014, 10:42:54 PM »
ALBW has seriously come into its own now we've entered Lorule and I've bought most of the equipment apart from the rods and the boomerang. There have been some genuinely challenging dungeons (Ice Ruins, thou art a bitch!)and the world-swapping is well-done and intuitive.

Not sure what princess Hilda's game is, yet. I don't trust her.

Ugh, the ice one was a bitch. Not because it was hard, but because it was so long and had so many places you could fail. I played like a cheapskate too, so when I lost to the final boss I reset the game and went from my last save point because I didn't want to hire everything again.

I'd only died once before the Ice Ruins (in the dark temple) so I had a few thousand rupees spare to buy outright most of my equipment before going in. After dying three or four times and tenting the Fire Rod back each time I got frustrated and went scouring the landscape for enough rupees to buy it outright.

Here's a proptip for getting cash quick - When you complete the Dark Palace, the guards in the maze vanish but the rupees they were guarding don't, there's 45 rupees lying right in front of the door so you can get them, go into the temple, walk out and they'll be back.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:51 AM »
Doing the rupee collecting mini-game in Lorule is extremely fast, I've found. You get like 300-500 rupees every 30 seconds out of it once you get a good feel for it.

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2014, 06:24:33 AM »
Doing the rupee collecting mini-game in Lorule is extremely fast, I've found. You get like 300-500 rupees every 30 seconds out of it once you get a good feel for it.

I did it twice and failed twice before thinking "screw this".

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2014, 06:40:51 AM »

I did it twice and failed twice before thinking "screw this".

At least get the heart piece...

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:44 AM »
Was the Last of Us as good as everyone seems to think it was? I haven't played it, so I can't have an opinion.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2014, 05:08:59 AM »
I thought it was brilliant, particularly as a story and character piece, but I'll wait for people to come tell you otherwise. :]
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
I thought it was brilliant, particularly as a story and character piece, but I'll wait for people to come tell you otherwise. :]

Blanko does not simply respond to my requests.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »
TLOU is good. Is it a 10/10 GOTY masterpiece? No, but it's a fine game, especially in the storytelling department. The issues you do come across are more in the content department, as you can see in the game that Naughty Dog tried to do something besides "shoot this zombie/guy ten million times", but for some reason the only thing they came up with was "find a ladder/pallet and move it back to where you came from", and just plain walking. Basically anything besides shooting the same three enemy types over and over is pure filler, so you get tired of it pretty quickly. That being said, when it does come to shooting people, the mechanics are very solid (especially for a console game), and all in all the level designs in fight scenarios are great. It's a shame really, I think it legitimately had potential to be a great game. Virtually all they needed to do was hire someone to design puzzles, or something. But as it stands, the game is plagued with what seem like odd design choices, but I think it comes down to just laziness.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:01:54 AM by Blanko »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2014, 04:03:38 AM »
So guess who's playing the original F-Zero for SNES? I got it for free through Club Nintendo for Wii U's Virtual Console. It took a race to get used to the controls, but it's really really fun! Much better than I expected.

The Big Blue theme brings back so many memories. <3 I remember it from the Gamecube game and Super Smash Bros. Melee. So great.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:06:05 AM by Supertails »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2014, 04:21:28 AM »
So guess who's playing the original F-Zero for SNES? I got it for free through Club Nintendo for Wii U's Virtual Console. It took a race to get used to the controls, but it's really really fun! Much better than I expected.

You love everything.

Anyway, I'm playing something called Spartacus Legends, a free-to-play (but pay-to-win, of course) title available on Xbox Live.  It's awful, but strangely fascinating at the same time.  You could say it's basically the gaming equivalent of gawking at an accident on the highway.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:25 AM »
If you were ever on IRC, you'd be surprised to find how much stuff I rant about and disparage. :P

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
sadaam has too much social life to be on IRC with us nerdy no-lifers.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
sadaam has too much social life to be on IRC with us nerdy no-lifers.

I am important.  I have a schedule.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »
Saddam has a calendar with things written in it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »
Blanko, I demand some kind of mini-review on that Guardian of Light game.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
Uuhh.. sure, lemme just actually play it first...

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2014, 09:21:08 PM »
I've been playing Super Mario 3D World with my nephew and a friend who's leaving for the military soon. I was gonna buy Super Mario Bros. 3 but it wasn't on the eShop and I decided, well...what the hell? It's going to be a long, long time before I get to see him again, so $60 for all of us to have a ton of fun for the last few days is nothing. He's usually more a FPS/"hardcore" type of gamer, but as we played through 3D World we were pretty much dying from fun. The insanity and frustration and laughter felt so, so good. There's a level where you have to all control one creature as it goes down a river and dodge and collect tons of things...by coordinating your actions. We were laughing so hard as we were shouting at each other what to do and when. Unfortunately we didn't get to finish the game, so I'm going to have to by myself (or with my nephew), so I don't know how fun it is as a single-player experience.

That said...I am someone who generally detests multiplayer. I do not like playing games with others and it usually is more frustrating than anything, but that was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had. That is what I love about Nintendo. They are really good at bringing people together to just have ridiculous fun in a room. I can't imagine that would have been nearly as fun if it had online, so I can kinda see why they didn't put it there. That was insane.

Also, I got NES Remix for myself and it's insanely fun too. Seeing Nintendo screw around with their older games and make you do ridiculous stuff is such crazy fun. In particular, there's a "remix" stage of the arcade Super Mario Bros. where all you have to do is clear a stage...but the screen is constantly shrinking and tile-ing so by half a minute in you see hundreds of tiny little screens of the game and it's hard to make out what's going on. You can stop it momentarily by beating an enemy, but only for a moment. Other games are "do x in y game" or sometimes swapping characters into others' games with their own abilities and stuff. It is ridiculous and wonderful.

That aside, my friend brought Diablo III for his 360 and we were playing it. To be honest, it's not great, but I guess it's not bad. Kind of tedious, boring plot, etc. The only real excitement was finding out what skills you were gonna get each level and finding new equipment. How fast-paced it is is probably its saving grace.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »
That said...I am someone who generally detests multiplayer. I do not like playing games with others and it usually is more frustrating than anything
Why and how come?
The Mastery.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »
sadaam
The Mastery.