Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2014, 01:00:51 AM »
The First Avenger wasn't mindless. They took a good shot at replicating the 40s. Half of the movie looks like a picture taken during WWII. The acting is bad? What the shit. I realise interpretation of good acting is somewhat arguable, but that criticism sounds like grasping at straws. It sounds like you guys went in there not liking it and left the same, which is fine, but you don't need to justify it with silly claims.
What the shit yourself, mate.

You have no fucking idea how I went into the movie. I thought it would be fine. I love the 40s. I can enjoy a Marvel movie (they're never great but they can still be alright). But the acting was fucking awful. Hugo Weaving was surprisingly awful and he's one of my favorites. He even didn't like doing the role cause he couldn't get into such a shallow, unchallenging character (paraphrasing).

So next time you ask for my opinion on why I think a movie sucks, how bout you just accept what I'm saying rather than disregard it and make up your own ideas or belittle our thoughts down to "just becuz". Jesus fuck.

/angryrant

Can we move on? This discussion is literally going nowhere.

I've been watching the RiffTrax version of the Harry Potter movies. They're decent. The guys are definitely not in their MST3K prime, but they still have great moments.

« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »
But the acting was fucking awful.

Welp, I don't think anyone is going to substantiate this beyond "Hugo weaving didn't like the role" (which I recall having read, but I can't seem to find his actual quote regarding the role).

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2014, 01:16:21 AM »
But the acting was fucking awful.

Welp, I don't think anyone is going to substantiate this beyond "Hugo weaving didn't like the role" (which I recall having read, but I can't seem to find his actual quote regarding the role).
I'm sorry, did you want me to break down the highs and lows of everyone's performance from a movie that had me falling asleep 3 years ago? They were all forgettable. The plot was forgettable. It was campy beyond belief. It didn't hook, engage, or thrill me in any way. The lines were delivered with such shallow feeling that I could almost see the words written on paper.

I'm sorry you missed the points we made in early posts. And also a pretty movie set in the 40s doesn't mean the action isn't mindless.

« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2014, 01:27:27 AM »
I'm sorry, did you want me to break down the highs and lows of everyone's performance from a movie that had me falling asleep 3 years ago? They were all forgettable.

Forgettable doesn't equate to "fucking awful". Many movies have forgettable plots, characters and acting, but they're not awful or even bad movies. Transformers 3 was a good example, I was falling asleep during that, but I don't hate the movie.

It didn't hook, engage, or thrill me in any way.

Well, that's just your taste, which is totally fine. No reason to say the acting is awful though.

And also a pretty movie set in the 40s doesn't mean the action isn't mindless.

No, but it means the movie wasn't mindless. They put thought into how they wanted the movie to look.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2014, 01:30:04 AM »
As desperately anxious as I am for this horrible, horrible conversation to be moved on from, I am curious about the Hugo Weaving thing, because the most I've found is basically "I don't think they'd want me to return, and I'm not really sure if I'd want to, though I enjoyed the experience" and "that kind of film is not necessarily my thing". I'm not saying you're lying or something, but either you're thinking of something else or extrapolating a lot from nothing.

During a recent conversation with Collider, Weaving was asked whether he had any plans to return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As most actors are signed on to multi-picture deals, it seemed like a fair question, but Weaving gave the impression he wanted to put put some distance between himself and his role in Captain America: The First Avenger.

“I think the tendency, with those films, would be to probably not bring a villain back. They might for The Avengers, but I didn’t think I’d be in Captain America 2 or 3. I don’t think Red Skull will be there,” Weaving said. “And it’s not something I would want to do again.”

With that being said, Weaving made it clear he has no hard feelings toward Marvel and is glad he joined the project. But he also said he hopes he won’t be asked back.

“I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn’t want to force someone to do it, if they didn’t want to,” he said. “I think I’ve done my dash with that sort of film. It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by. As an actor, to do all sorts of different films is great. It stretches you in different ways. But, I increasingly like to go back to what I used to always do, which is to get involved with projects that I really have a personal affiliation with.”
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:31:39 AM by Snupes »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2014, 01:43:36 AM »
No. The movie fucking sucked and everyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Also, Snupes, from that quote can you not infer that he disliked the role? Or does he have to specifically state that he hates the role in order for you to accept it?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:52:10 AM by Ghost of V »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2014, 02:02:14 AM »
Also, Snupes, from that quote can you not infer that he disliked the role? Or does he have to specifically state that he hates the role in order for you to accept it?

I infer that he wasn't fond of it and wouldn't necessarily want to come back, but that's a far cry from "he didn't like doing it because he couldn't get into such a shallow, unchallenging character" and the like, it just sounds to me like he wasn't particularly interested in the role but that he didn't necessarily dislike it. Why are you so hostile about this?

Ghost of V

« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2014, 02:21:57 AM »
Because I'm trolling. I've never even seen the movie. My cover is blown now.  >:(

« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2014, 02:59:58 AM »
Because I'm trolling. I've never even seen the movie. My cover is blown now.  >:(

Maybe you should watch a sped up version of the movie so you understand what you're talking about, you casual.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2014, 03:23:44 AM »

I don't appreciate being lied to. My feelings are hurt. :[

Watch a speedrun of it.

Rama Set

« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2014, 03:26:14 AM »

I don't appreciate being lied to. My feelings are hurt. :[

Watch a speedrun of it.

Captain America is badly designed.  All he does is dodge or block with his shield.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2014, 03:33:01 AM »
Look, it's not my problem you didn't hate Transformers 3. That's another one I hated.

Plots, characters, and acting are what's important to me. Not action or budget. I honestly can't believe you can still like a forgettable movie, but we can't all love the same things. And you're insanely immature for not allowing my opinion that the acting and writing was terrible. I don't understand how anyone can like the movie but I'm not interested in hearing a thesis on why you do. I just accept that you do and we have different tastes.

And Snupes, it's pretty clear that Hugo is saying he didn't like the role in a very tactful way. I assume it's because the character didn't challenge or interest him, I mean, that's typically why a great actor doesn't like a certain role.

Rama Set

« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2014, 03:38:00 AM »
Look, it's not my problem you didn't hate Transformers 3. That's another one I hated.

Plots, characters, and acting are what's important to me. Not action or budget. I honestly can't believe you can still like a forgettable movie, but we can't all love the same things. And you're insanely immature for not allowing my opinion that the acting and writing was terrible. I don't understand how anyone can like the movie but I'm not interested in hearing a thesis on why you do. I just accept that you do and we have different tastes.

Who are you talking to?

« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2014, 03:39:36 AM »
I've already said that I think the acting was perfectly fine, just about everything was because it was a pretty average movie. You're a very angry person, Rooster.

Who are you talking to?

Me.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2014, 03:50:16 AM »
I didn't ask your opinion on the acting cause I don't care.

I'm only angry because you're a very dense person and it's really frustrating when people become obsessed with my opinions.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2014, 03:52:41 AM »
And Snupes, it's pretty clear that Hugo is saying he didn't like the role in a very tactful way. I assume it's because the character didn't challenge or interest him, I mean, that's typically why a great actor doesn't like a certain role.

I agree with the former, but not necessarily with the latter sentence. Maybe it didn't interest him, sure, but there are a plethora of reasons other than it being badly-written or something like that, so I guess we'll just have to disagree there.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2014, 03:58:49 AM »

I agree with the former, but not necessarily with the latter sentence. Maybe it didn't interest him, sure, but there are a plethora of reasons other than it being badly-written or something like that, so I guess we'll just have to disagree there.

but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by.

"This is really well written, but I typically don't like this sort of thing and please don't ask me to do it again."

« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2014, 04:12:03 AM »
I didn't ask your opinion on the acting cause I don't care.

I'm only angry because you're a very dense person and it's really frustrating when people become obsessed with my opinions.

I was addressing your claim of TFA relying on action sequences, when I felt the movie didn't rely on them. Hugo Weaving said in another quote that he prefers productions he has personal ties to, so that's probably one reason he didn't enjoy TFA.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2014, 05:01:35 AM »

but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by.

"This is really well written, but I typically don't like this sort of thing and please don't ask me to do it again."

I can't tell if you're snarking or if you're agreeing with me. That's basically what I'm saying I think he meant, yes.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2014, 05:33:34 AM »
Roosroos is mad and angry. She is angry and mad.
The Mastery.