Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
Tsunami travel times across Pacific Ocean
« on: August 23, 2020, 03:48:01 PM »
Another geology question to toss out there:

Published arrival times of tsunami waves across the Pacific Ocean appear to be consistent with distances between shores portrayed on map projections within a Round Earth framework.

When a seismic event occurs, we can triangulate its epicenter through analysis of the arrival times of the different types of seismic waves recorded at seismometers at different locations on earth. From there, arrival times of tsunami waves have historically been recorded by analysis of tide gauge data at various coastal locations around the Pacific. Tsunami waves travel at ~500 mph, depending on water depth; with the waves traveling faster in deeper water than shallow water. This causes the waves to 'pile up' when they approach shorelines, increasing their height, and leading to destruction of life and property on land.
For more detailed descriptions and sources, go to the USGS, NOAA, or BGS websites, or there are many available research papers available through Researchgate.

The image below shows two separate data sets (very crudely) plotted on a standard FE map (I had to crop out big areas to get it u der max file size for display here). The first, coloured dots, are derived from this map of travel times from a 1975 tsunami originated at Hawaii (data from https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/hazard/data/icons/1975_1129.jpg). The source location is shown with purple dot, 5-hour travel times in red, 10-hour times in yellow, and 15-hour times in green. I decided not to drawn lines to connect those locations (as is done in the linked map for a RE).

The second set of data shows the Chilean mega thrust earthquake of 1960. The pink lines connect the source, near Santiago, to the American coast near Los Angeles and to the Northeastern New Zealand coast. Both of these locations reported tsunami wave arrivals after 14 hours.

Can someone explain these observations?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Tsunami travel times across Pacific Ocean
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:41:22 PM »
1. We would need full information on where the figures come from. Without further information we are just seeing a number on map. It could be an estimate that someone made based on a model, rather than referring to observations.

2. From the first image, most of those routes from the epicenter in the Pacific Ocean to the Southern Hemisphere are mostly traveling N-S. When traveling N-S the distances aren't stretched on the Monopole Model. There is mainly stretching when traveling E-W in the Southern Hemisphere.

But again, this could be an estimate or model rather than a list of observation. We are just seeing numbers on a map.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 08:04:56 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
Re: Tsunami travel times across Pacific Ocean
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 07:49:48 PM »
Hey Tom,

Fair question. The map you copied that I had originally linked is indeed partially simulated, but anchored with observed data. We dont have enough data to make perfect maps of the tsunami wave fronts, but by integrating tidal gauge data from pacific islands and coastal regions, with bathymetric data, there's more than enough data to compare observed wave arrival times, seismic event origin, and compute travel distances to evaluate maps advanced within anycomepting worldviews.

The pink lines I drew on the FE map represent the distances the tsunami wave front would have travelled over 14 hours, using actual (but approximated, due to me using my fingertips on my phone) observed travel times from the 1960 Chilean earthquake ( see link below). That tsunami wave traveled from Santiago to Hawaii in 15 hours, then reached the coast of Japan in 22 hours.

https://www.sms-tsunami-warning.com/pages/tsunami-chile-1960#.X0LFsVNE2dN

Other examples would be the reported tsunami arrival times after the 2004 Christmas weekend tsunami that affected a huge region of coasts along the Indian Ocean from Indonesia to Australia to the east coast of Africa.

Hope that helps clarify things!