Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: Soundly Proving the Curvature of the Earth at Lake Pontchartrain
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
They absolutely don't exist.

Find an example where no one is talking about earth's shape. A tourist picture, which power company installed them, plans, planning permission. It makes no sense. The lake is only a couple of metres deep. You'd run cables under the water. Not create an eyesore and ruin the view and cause a hazard for boats and wildlife.

Wait, what?  Are you claiming the power lines don't even exist?  Just when I thought this couldn't get any crazier.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
Thork has shown plenty of evidence that the images are fakes. The world would have to be tiny if those images were true, especially based on the last image of the bridge Thork posted.

Now that Thork claims the power lines don't even exist, do you still want to stand by his claims?

They absolutely don't exist.

Find an example where no one is talking about earth's shape. A tourist picture, which power company installed them, plans, planning permission. It makes no sense. The lake is only a couple of metres deep. You'd run cables under the water. Not create an eyesore and ruin the view and cause a hazard for boats and wildlife.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »
Here's some solid goodness:

Quote from: Metabunk
A classic experiment to demonstrate the curvature of a body of water is to place markers (like flags) a fixed distance above the water in a straight line, and then view them along that line in a telescope. If the water surface is flat then the markers will appear also in a straight line. If the surface of the water is curved (as it is here on Earth) then the markers in the middle will appear higher than the markers at the ends. Here's a highly exaggerated diagram of the effect by Alfred Russel Wallace in 1870:

This is a difficult experiment to do as you need a few miles for the curvature to be apparent. You also need the markers to be quite high above the surface of the water, as temperature differences between the water and the air tend to create significant refraction effects close to the water.

However Youtuber Soundly has found a spot where there's a very long line of markers permanently fixed at constant heights above the water line, clearly demonstrating the curve. It's a line of power transmission towers at Lake Pontchartrain, near New Orleans, Louisiana.

What do you think, Guest? Good shit, or bunk shit?

Looks pretty convincing.  I drive down that way every now and then.  Next time I will take my own pics and post them.

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 06:55:33 PM »

A classic experiment to demonstrate the curvature of a body of water is to place markers (like flags) a fixed distance above the water in a straight line, and then view them along that line in a telescope. If the water surface is flat then the markers will appear also in a straight line. If the surface of the water is curved (as it is here on Earth) then the markers in the middle will appear higher than the markers at the ends. Here's a highly exaggerated diagram of the effect by Alfred Russel Wallace in 1870:

This is a difficult experiment to do as you need a few miles for the curvature to be apparent. You also need the markers to be quite high above the surface of the water, as temperature differences between the water and the air tend to create significant refraction effects close to the water.

However Youtuber Soundly has found a spot where there's a very long line of markers permanently fixed at constant heights above the water line, clearly demonstrating the curve. It's a line of power transmission towers at Lake Pontchartrain, near New Orleans, Louisiana.

Looks pretty convincing.  I drive down that way every now and then.  Next time I will take my own pics and post them.
Do take note Tom, the images showing that curve are making use of a special 'forced perspective' effect. The metabunk thread I dug up has some info on how it works and how to replicate it. Neat stuff honestly, but it boils down to exaggerating curves where they exist, but flat lines will stay flat.

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »
fake or not, take into account the reality of the questions and theory brought here.

The photo of the lake for example, don't you think the horizon would be further off if the Earth was flat?

find an equation to simulate a flat earth horizon, and tell me what you find.
What?

Evidence is produced, it is soundly busted and then you want me to keep on talking about the points brought up? It is a hoax.

Here is the original author asking his friends for help to make the photoshop.

This is his pinned tweet! He says he's going out of his way to discredit the flat earth.

And here is another abomination he has concocted using his photoshop skills.

Clearly he thinks we live on Kerbal.

Its over. This thread belongs to flat earth now, and will lay testament to the cheer-leading and fakery behind round earth.

You misunderstood, I am not saying they exist, but the lake does exist, the oceans exist. The horizon is why FE exists, and the horizon is where RE began. Lets calculate where a horizon line would be in perspective to a 10ft object on a flat world. And then well do it on a sphere world, and compare the two to a real photo!

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 07:28:50 PM »
fake or not, take into account the reality of the questions and theory brought here.

The photo of the lake for example, don't you think the horizon would be further off if the Earth was flat?

find an equation to simulate a flat earth horizon, and tell me what you find.
What?

Evidence is produced, it is soundly busted and then you want me to keep on talking about the points brought up? It is a hoax.

Here is the original author asking his friends for help to make the photoshop.

This is his pinned tweet! He says he's going out of his way to discredit the flat earth.

And here is another abomination he has concocted using his photoshop skills.

Clearly he thinks we live on Kerbal.

Its over. This thread belongs to flat earth now, and will lay testament to the cheer-leading and fakery behind round earth.

You misunderstood, I am not saying they exist, but the lake does exist, the oceans exist. The horizon is why FE exists, and the horizon is where RE began. Lets calculate where a horizon line would be in perspective to a 10ft object on a flat world. And then well do it on a sphere world, and compare the two to a real photo!

The subject is not worth discussing anymore. Do you realize how small the world would be if that curve were real?

Thork has shown plenty of evidence that the images are fakes. The world would have to be tiny if those images were true, especially based on the last image of the bridge Thork posted.

Now that Thork claims the power lines don't even exist, do you still want to stand by his claims?

I don't care whether they exist or not. The main topic is the curve in these photos.

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »
At 10ft. a horizon would appear 7 miles (assuming perfect curvature) from the viewer(in RE)     Objects that are smaller than 1ft past the horizon appear not to be there.
On a flat Earth, the horizon (dissapearance point) would be as far as the human eye could see clearly (30 mi.)   

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »

The subject is not worth discussing anymore. Do you realize how small the world would be if that curve were real?

Yes Tom, the Earth is a pretty small planet!

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »

I don't care whether they exist or not. The main topic is the curve in these photos.

One has to look at the source of data and in this case, your source is proven unreliable. 

Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 08:15:16 PM »
Do you realize how small the world would be if that curve were real?

This is innuendo. Without trying to demonstrate an understanding of how these photos and videos actually show a curve, and without committing to an actual analysis, Tom is dismissing the evidence as absurd. This is one of his common tactics and is a form of denialism.

For actual rigor, demonstrations of understanding, and well-supported claims of evidence, see the Metabunk thread that I quoted to start this one.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »

You should know that camera in question has an 83x optical zoom.

What does that look like?

https://media.memoryexpress.com/Assets/Products/MX63629/P900_zoom.jpg

Tell me again how that curve is too great?
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 09:41:44 PM »
Are you suggesting that the Earth is round, but much smaller than mainstream round Earthers would have you believe? This seems to come up exceptionally often, especially with people who are adamant they could clearly see curvature from a commercial aircraft - something that should be largely impossible in the standard RE model.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 09:55:10 PM »
Are you suggesting that the Earth is round, but much smaller than mainstream round Earthers would have you believe? This seems to come up exceptionally often, especially with people who are adamant they could clearly see curvature from a commercial aircraft - something that should be largely impossible in the standard RE model.

Planet, Pete, Planet.         comparatively, Earth is on the small side.

But to our tiny perspectives, the Earth is Huge, its everything it's the center, and for some, they just can't imagine a world that isn't the biggest thing ever.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 10:02:24 PM »
Ah, so your comment was deliberately off-topic? My apologies for giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

devils advocate

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
? Good shit, or bunk shit?

Haha I've been offline for a couple of days so got to read the whole saga in one go. Out came the obvious "it's fake" followed up with some pretty absolute factual statements of proof of the fakery, which were then themselves proved to be incorrect. Then the post dwindles into the same old denials. To answer your question, yes looks good to me :D

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »
Yeah, this got really off topic since the first denial.

All evidence and opinions aside, that first post linked an example photo of what it would look like to have all those power lines there. That same picture has been used a lot all over the place, it is not supposed to look real, it is supposed to display the natural curve of the earth as you look to the horizon for proper art rendering and visual effects in any form of art. (digital or non)

So yeah, pretty cool huh?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:23:50 PM by Havonii »

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »
Ah, so your comment was deliberately off-topic? My apologies for giving you the benefit of the doubt.

That's called a fallacy, by the way.  (more specifically an Ad hominem)

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
? Good shit, or bunk shit?

Haha I've been offline for a couple of days so got to read the whole saga in one go. Out came the obvious "it's fake" followed up with some pretty absolute factual statements of proof of the fakery, which were then themselves proved to be incorrect. Then the post dwindles into the same old denials. To answer your question, yes looks good to me :D

Yeah, this thread went crazy for a bit. Baby Thork really looked a fool by claiming the power lines weren't even there. (in fairness, you do have to look for them) I wonder if he or Tom will return to the thread after being so blatantly wrong? I hope so.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline Bart B

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 02:19:13 AM »

The world is round and such info proves it.

Same as shortest distance flying from the Falkland Islands to south Australia takes you over the south pole. 1/4th the distance of flying over the North pole flat Earther style.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 02:23:39 AM »
The Round Earth is far too large to see curvature like that. If you could see vertical curvature, you should be able to see horizontal curvature on the horizon.