Please post any and all scientific evidence that the Earth is a ball moving through space around the Sun.

By scientific, I obviously mean something with the highest standard of scientific method, something with reproducible results from here on Earth. Not equations, hypotheses, or pictures from space, not just observations twisted to support any particular world-view. Something that involves an actual experiment, has been peer reviewed.

I'm looking for any scientific experiment that proves the Earth is actually moving, in particular. Thanks in advance.

geckothegeek

Please post any and all scientific evidence that the Earth is a ball moving through space around the Sun.

By scientific, I obviously mean something with the highest standard of scientific method, something with reproducible results from here on Earth. Not equations, hypotheses, or pictures from space, not just observations twisted to support any particular world-view. Something that involves an actual experiment, has been peer reviewed.

I'm looking for any scientific experiment that proves the Earth is actually moving, in particular. Thanks in advance.

I am wise to this website, but wny are you even asking if you are just going to deny them if you are a "flat earther" ?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:19:17 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile

Can you give your approximate location? The reason for this is, you want to be able to observe the evidence so it seems best to tailor a response specific to your location.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Can you give your approximate location? The reason for this is, you want to be able to observe the evidence so it seems best to tailor a response specific to your location.

East Coast USA.

I am wise to this website, but wny are you even asking if you are just going to deny them if you are a "flat earther" ?

I'm not that kind of person, that's why. I will judge everything, individually, based on it's merit. I don't like preconceptions, which must be obvious if I'm a "flat-earther," right?

geckothegeek

I'm not that kind of person, that's why. I will judge everything, individually, based on it's merit. I don't like preconceptions, which must be obvious if I'm a "flat-earther," right?

My apologies for thinking you were a flat earther. But seriously I think a visit to an astronomical observatory would  be your best source for information.
For example Mc Donald Observatory has ties with The University Of Texas.(

My apologies for thinking you were a flat earther. But seriously I think a visit to an astronomical observatory would  be your best source for information.
For example Mc Donald Observatory has ties with The University Of Texas.(

I'm not talking about a place to get a good view to look at the stars. Specifically asking for peer-reviewed, experimentally proven and re-proven, scientific evidence that the Earth is in motion, going around the sun. I take no offense at being called a flat-earther though, by the way, even though I view myself as more of an agnostic. I will look at any credible evidence with an open mind, including observation that may seem to point to a motionless, stationary earth --flat or round.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile

I am afraid your demand for "Please post any and all scientific evidence that the Earth is a ball moving through space around the Sun." is hardly possible in a couple of posts here. You access to just as much material as we do and an imperious order like that won't get you far.

Imagine what junker would say if you made a similar demand for "any and all scientific evidence that the Earth is flat accelerating upwards at 32 ft/s2".

If you are really interested in the shape of the earth and its place in the universe, I seriously suggest get things sorted out in order.

Personally, I think that the best order is the way these things were worked out historically. 

That was to determine the shape of the earth first and that is extremely important because in governs the interpretation of so many measurements.
If the earth is a globe,
          then it is easy to show from the sun's altitude and angle measurements that the sun must be extremely far distant, at least a very large number of times the earth's diameter.
But if the earth is flat
         these same measurements do not lead to any consistent answer as to the distance to the sun.

I won't take this approach further now as it would be a waste of time until the shape of the earth is known for sure.

Now as to your actual question.
The rotation of the earth can be readily shown from:
  • The Foucault Pendulum: Yes, I know of all the controversy, it can be performed badly and there are unanswered questions (just search for "the Allais effect"), but executed correctly it is good "indicator".
    One interesting reference is South Pole Foucault Pendulum, Winter, 2001. It all looks a little "slap-dash", for the simple reason that it was! It was an "unplanned" activity and so had to use whatever materials were on-hand at the South Pole over winter!

• Gyroscopes:

And I don't mean the toys that some YouTubers use to "prove the earth is flat"! The gyroscope was invented by the same French physicist Léon Foucault.

Foucault's Gyroscope was unpowered, so could only spin for a short time before slowing down, but the Marine Gyrocompass relies on the earth's rotation to find true north, not magnetic north. See Raytheon Anschütz, A Pioneer in Navigation Technology. This was not a "scientific experiment" to prove that the earth rotates, but a commercial development simply relying on that known fact.

Then the Gyro-theodolite again utilises the earth's rotation to find true north and can be used by surveyors when neither enhanced GPS nor celestial "fixes" are possible. The Gyro-theodolite is not as accurate as celestial "fixes", but underground in long tunnels and in mines it might be the only way to find true North.

Quote from: Wikipedia
    Gyrotheodolite
    In surveying, a gyrotheodolite (also: surveying gyro) is an instrument composed of a gyroscope mounted to a theodolite. It is used to determine the orientation of true north. It is the main instrument for orientation in mine surveying[1] and in tunnel engineering, where astronomical star sights are not visible and GPS does not work.

And finally Ring Laser Gyroscopes are capable of not only detecting the earth's rotation but measuring the orbit around the sun and "wobble" in the axis:
    First ever direct measurement of the Earth's rotation

Physics World, Laser gyroscope measures the Earth's 'wobble'

JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 109, B06405, doi:10.1029/2003JB002803, 2004, Direct measurement of diurnal polar motion by ring laser gyroscopes, K. U. Schreiber, A. Velikoseltsev, M. Rothacher

------
    Gyroscope invented by Léon Foucault in 1852.
    Replica built by Dumoulin-Froment for the
    Exposition universelle in 1867.
    National Conservatory of Arts and Crafts museum, Paris.

Accept of this what you want, there's nothing I can do about that.

Of course, none of this equipment was available to Ptolemy, Copernicus, Brahe and Kepler. The angular velocity of the earth's rotation is far too small for any possible direct measurement in those days.

Their conclusions were based on what could be observed with just the eye, aided only by large angle-measuring devices - not even telescopes were available to Brahe.
It is interesting that Brahe, while he most certainly accepted that the earth was a globe, developed his own geocentric model, that fitted hos observations better than the Copernican model with circular orbits.
But, it was the astronomical observations that first brought in the acceptance of the Heliocentric Globe.

<< enlarged picture >>
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:37:09 AM by rabinoz »