Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Rushy about Bitcoins.
« Reply #480 on: January 22, 2015, 04:39:24 AM »
Bitcoins are worth only $200 a pop now. Buy 'em up while they're cheap! Or expensive. Depends on the future I guess.

Also, how does this thread have so many views?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 22, 2015, 05:49:31 AM »
At the rate they are falling, I would have lost what, 80% of my investment if I would have bought them around 6 or 8 months ago?  Does not sound very stable to me.

Ghost of V

« Reply #482 on: January 22, 2015, 06:09:49 AM »
I'll buy when they're at $1 a coin.

Rama Set

« Reply #483 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »
Bitcoins are worth only $200 a pop now. Buy 'em up while they're cheap! Or expensive. Depends on the future I guess.

Also, how does this thread have so many views?

I think people are expecting a Rush Limbaugh AMA

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 08, 2017, 11:22:20 PM »

Bitcoin is now worth $1700 a piece. It turns out the answer was definitely "cheap."

« Reply #485 on: May 15, 2017, 02:25:43 AM »
Who is right in the bitcoin civil war? /r/bitcoin or the other one
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 15, 2017, 05:25:15 AM »
Who is right in the bitcoin civil war? /r/bitcoin or the other one

I have no idea I unsubscribed from bitcoin related subreddits years ago.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 15, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »
how much worth of bitcoin do you have in USD
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 15, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »
how much worth of bitcoin do you have in USD

Well after an arduous addition of all my assets I've come to the rough estimate of $0.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 16, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »
Should I buy some bitcoin? If I do what is the best way to go about it? I could just google it but I might get scammed.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 16, 2017, 02:28:26 AM »
Should I buy some bitcoin? If I do what is the best way to go about it? I could just google it but I might get scammed.

The easiest to use in my experience is Coinbase. I've heard good things about GDAX too.

If you buy bitcoin prepared to lose all of it, as in literally all of it. View it less as free money, and more like you're throwing you're money into a black hole and hoping the Void Gods send you something back.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 16, 2017, 04:54:53 AM »

The easiest to use in my experience is Coinbase. I've heard good things about GDAX too.

If you buy bitcoin prepared to lose all of it, as in literally all of it. View it less as free money, and more like you're throwing you're money into a black hole and hoping the Void Gods send you something back.

Thnx. I guess I might try some but I won't put all my eggs in the bitcoin basket.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:06:51 PM by Boots »
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 28, 2017, 01:47:42 AM »

Thnx. I guess I might try some but I won't put all my eggs in the bitcoin basket.

You may as well just buy Google shares at this point. It would be safer. And cheaper.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 28, 2017, 01:55:39 AM »

You may as well just buy Google shares at this point. It would be safer. And cheaper.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 28, 2017, 05:31:45 AM »
Can you buy like half a bitcoin or you gotta get ghee whole thing

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 28, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
Can you buy like half a bitcoin or you gotta get ghee whole thing
You can buy fractions of Bitcoin.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 28, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »
Cool

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 11, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
What's another good cryptocurrency to invest in? Because fuck mining, I'd rather play games.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 14, 2017, 01:10:12 AM »
What's another good cryptocurrency to invest in? Because fuck mining, I'd rather play games.

Ethereum is doing well right now but I'm wary of it. It's inflation rate is 400% higher than Bitcoin and it's only just seen a large price increase from ~$10 to now ~$400 in the past two months.

Bitcoin is an interesting investment right now, but it's fast approaching a technical hurdle. On August 1st, the majority of Bitcoin nodes will hard fork the chain to integrate a new "space saving" feature called SegWit that will allow more transactions to occur in every block. However, many Bitcoin miners don't support this decision, and if they don't follow the new chain, Bitcoin could collapse in on itself and split off into multiple variations (some using the new version, some staying on the old). The BTC price is being mauled by uncertainty of the future.

Another coin you could look into is Stratis. Basically the same as Ethereum, but codes in C# and .Net instead of C++ and Solidity. The former two are more common languages in modern development circles, so it's an attempt to become prominent by using popular languages.

Siacoin is also interesting, but I'm pretty iffy on the usecase. It could far too easily run into scaling issues.

Monero is another fascinating project that aims to make the transactions perfectly private (as opposed to Bitcoin/Ethereum, where the chained transactions are always public knowledge).

Those are the current ones of the top of my head that aren't just cloned shitcoins (people taking someone's source code and then replacing the name of the coin). e.g. I copy Bitcoin into Rushycoin.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:16:34 AM by Rushy »

« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2017, 02:10:15 PM »
  • Because Bitcoin is made to limit itself to 21 million total coins, coin loss is greater than zero, and demand is increasing faster than coins are being produced, Bitcoin is pretty much doomed to be permanently deflationary. If I own Bitcoins, why would I be eager to spend them if I know that they pretty much constantly increase in value right now? What value does Bitcoin have if it's now being used as a currency because of this pressure to save them?
  • The blockchain is ever growing in size. If Bitcoin is going to survive for decades, how do we address the issue of the blockchain size? If Bitcoin were suddenly the size of Visa, how would it manage transactions?
  • If I want to make an anonymous purchase, how is Bitcoin better than cash in most cases?