Ghost of V

Re: ISIS and the Middle East
« Reply #460 on: September 03, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »
Those so-called "innocent people" are not innocent as long as they subscribe to the teachings of the Qur'an that obligates me to paying the Jizya tax, converting, or dying. So fuck them.

So you're trolling then.

Good to know.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 03, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
Ok, so maybe turning them into slag is a little overdone. But using conventional weapons and turning them into dogmeat isn't.
Okay, I guess that we're starting to make progress.  Now, if we can get you to agree that punishing all Muslims is overdoing it but just punishing the violent radicals and militants isn't.

I have empathy for people who don't want to fuck up my day just because I'm a Jew. Muslims have a desire to fuck up my day because I am a Jew.
Did you ever consider that maybe they want to fuck up your day because you're being an jerk about being a Jew.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:35:20 PM by markjo »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 03, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »
Can we all stop feeding Yaakov now? He isn't even fun anymore. Let his poster make a new, exciting character troll.

Rama Set

« Reply #463 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
Can we all stop feeding Yaakov now? He isn't even fun anymore. Let his poster make a new, exciting character troll.

Perhaps a radical Jainist?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #464 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
A radical Jainist? That would be interesting! I refuse to, well, kill anything beyond all anything? I know Gandhi was influenced by Jainist ideals. If it were practical, it would be admirable and worthy of emulation. I mean, seriously, whatever you may think of me, I actually consider Gandhi to be on my list of most admired humans of the last, well, probably 2,000 years or so. I put him up there with Christ because I'm not even sure if Christ existed, and I certainly don't accept that he is what the Christians say he is.

But seriously, radical Jainism? Now that is an idea...

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #465 on: September 03, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »
It's a pretty funny idea. I think I'd like to see it.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Rama Set

« Reply #466 on: September 03, 2014, 10:53:44 PM »
A radical Jainist? That would be interesting! I refuse to, well, kill anything beyond all anything? I know Gandhi was influenced by Jainist ideals. If it were practical, it would be admirable and worthy of emulation. I mean, seriously, whatever you may think of me, I actually consider Gandhi to be on my list of most admired humans of the last, well, probably 2,000 years or so. I put him up there with Christ because I'm not even sure if Christ existed, and I certainly don't accept that he is what the Christians say he is.

But seriously, radical Jainism? Now that is an idea...

That's funny, Gandhi would find your ideology apalling.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #467 on: September 03, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
I didn't say I subscribed to his philosophy of non-violence. As admirable as it is, it is unrealistic in the modern age. Incidentally, CNN tells us that ISIS has its main area of operation in and around the northeastern Syrian city of Raqqa. A few good carpet bombings of that area, then, ought to weaken it. Not destroy it, no, but at least put the fear of God into them.

Rama Set

« Reply #468 on: September 03, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »
I didn't say I subscribed to his philosophy of non-violence. As admirable as it is, it is unrealistic in the modern age. Incidentally, CNN tells us that ISIS has its main area of operation in and around the northeastern Syrian city of Raqqa. A few good carpet bombings of that area, then, ought to weaken it. Not destroy it, no, but at least put the fear of God into them.

There is only one god and Muhammed is his prophet.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:22 PM »
Technically they are afraid of God.  Or his displeasure anyway.  I thought you spent time in a mosque?

Also, you do know that an idea is hard to kill and by doing such an act you basically become modern Nazi's right?  Just without the methodical genocide.  More like a crappy version.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #470 on: September 04, 2014, 12:37:40 AM »
Keep in mind that Gandhi was able to do what he did BECAUSE the British Empire recognised certain inalienable human rights in the person. Both Britain and America (descended from who else, Britain, of course) have done this. If Gandhi had tried that non-violence business in Chiang Kai-shek's China, or Stalin's Russia, or just about anywhere OTHER than in the British Empire, he'd have been shot within five minutes.

So, yes, all that non-violence business is admirable and all that, but let's face it, people, it very rarely works in the real world.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 04, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
Keep in mind that Gandhi was able to do what he did BECAUSE the British Empire recognised certain inalienable human rights in the person. Both Britain and America (descended from who else, Britain, of course) have done this. If Gandhi had tried that non-violence business in Chiang Kai-shek's China, or Stalin's Russia, or just about anywhere OTHER than in the British Empire, he'd have been shot within five minutes.

So, yes, all that non-violence business is admirable and all that, but let's face it, people, it very rarely works in the real world.
Incorrect.
Since he posed no actual threat and was starving himself, shooting him would accomplish nothing.

If anything, shooting him would have likely incited a riot.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #472 on: September 04, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »
He would not have even had time for his South African activity, let alone to getting his name out there wide enough to be successful at starving himself.  If he had tried to oppose ethnic policies in the USSR or China, he'd have been shot.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #473 on: September 04, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »
I think we should round up and execute anyone with brown skin.

Oy vey, I'm such a Jew!

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #474 on: September 04, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
Given that it was a Reform Jewish Rabbi on one side of Martin Luther King marching on Selma, and the Episcopal Bishop of South Carolina on the other side, you just made yourself look like a schmuck. Asswipe.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 04, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
Yaakov, you're not very good at recognizing sarcasm, are you?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #476 on: September 04, 2014, 09:56:03 PM »
Since he posed no actual threat and was starving himself, shooting him would accomplish nothing.

He posed a threat because he put ideas into peoples heads. If I was Stalin I would have shot him.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #477 on: September 05, 2014, 04:20:15 AM »
Fapp, BINGO, thank you for playing!

« Reply #478 on: September 05, 2014, 05:58:46 PM »
So some of the Brits fighting for IS are now having second thoughts and want to come back to the UK but are worried about being put in prison.

Ghost of V

« Reply #479 on: September 05, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
So some of the Brits fighting for IS are now having second thoughts and want to come back to the UK but are worried about being put in prison.

If they are responsible for any crimes then they should be put in prison. They're criminals. "I've changed my mind" has never been a legitimate excuse for anything.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:03:39 PM by Vauxhall »