Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Sunrise and Sunset at the Falklands
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »
Hi again Tausumi,

do you mean on a VxV/r principle that as the radius increases the V increases to maintain kinetic energy?

Something like that, but that runs contrary to the conservation of angular momentum that we see elsewhere in physics.  I believe there is an additional force at play here.  In the past I've called it an aetheric whirlpool, and some have postulated an additional set of celestial gears to account for this effect, allowing the sun to spin faster when the radius of its orbit is longer, and slower as the radius gets shorter.

I'm now in the celestial gears camp, myself - I've been an aether advocate in the past, and I don't discount its existence entirely, but the more study I do the more it becomes clear that the gears must exist.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: Sunrise and Sunset at the Falklands
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 11:00:28 PM »
Hi again Tausumi,

do you mean on a VxV/r principle that as the radius increases the V increases to maintain kinetic energy?

Something like that, but that runs contrary to the conservation of angular momentum that we see elsewhere in physics.  I believe there is an additional force at play here.  In the past I've called it an aetheric whirlpool, and some have postulated an additional set of celestial gears to account for this effect, allowing the sun to spin faster when the radius of its orbit is longer, and slower as the radius gets shorter.

I'm now in the celestial gears camp, myself - I've been an aether advocate in the past, and I don't discount its existence entirely, but the more study I do the more it becomes clear that the gears must exist.

Exactly. It doesn't defy conservation of angular momentum because the Sun is being propelled, either by the whirlpool or by the celestial gears.

If you want a real life example of a fluid moving faster as radius increases, look no father than a winding river. A river will deposit on the inward shore of a bend and erode the outward shore of the bend, because the water on the outside is moving faster.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ