Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: New laptop
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »
I have no idea, I haven't received the laptop yet.
Chy-na

I ordered it 3 days ago and they estimated 5-6 weeks before I submitted the order. I'd say I'm well within the realm of expectations here.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 08:16:36 PM »
I have no idea, I haven't received the laptop yet.
Chy-na

I ordered it 3 days ago and they estimated 5-6 weeks before I submitted the order. I'd say I'm well within the realm of expectations here.

Whoa, I ordered mine on the same day. We’re thinkpad twinsies.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »

Yeah except you ordered the worse ThinkPad.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 09:16:34 PM »

Clearly y'all haven't had the fun of a P52 and its "defective" Thunderbolt port.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 09:38:18 PM »

Clearly y'all haven't had the fun of a P52 and its "defective" Thunderbolt port.

My first laptop was a hand-me-down IBM Thinkpad something or other. It must have weighed 10 pounds or more.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 04:28:58 AM »
It's in transit. Currently waiting to leave the UPS distribution center in Alaska. Hopefully a polar bear doesn't eat it.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 04:01:12 AM »
Just got it. The trackpad sucks complete ass compared to my 7 year old Macbook. Battery life is ok. Build quality of the laptop overall is amazing. I might return it and get another Air like I should have done to begin with. If it wasn't for the jank trackpad I'd 100% keep it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:05:01 AM by Fortuna »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »
Just got it. The trackpad sucks complete ass compared to my 7 year old Macbook. Battery life is ok. Build quality of the laptop overall is amazing. I might return it and get another Air like I should have done to begin with. If it wasn't for the jank trackpad I'd 100% keep it.

I returned my Dell XPS 9500 and got a 2020 MacBook Air. You won't regret doing the same. If trackpad quality is a big deal, nothing is even in the same realm of existence as the MacBook. The new keyboards are pretty good too, although the butterfly keyboard on my work MBP was starting to grow on me.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
If trackpad quality is a big deal, nothing is even in the same realm of existence as the MacBook.

I keep seeing people say this, and having used both ThinkPads and MacBooks, I just don't see it. MacBook trackpads are absolutely awful to use. Maybe it's just about what you're used to.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »

I returned my Dell XPS 9500 and got a 2020 MacBook Air. You won't regret doing the same. If trackpad quality is a big deal, nothing is even in the same realm of existence as the MacBook. The new keyboards are pretty good too, although the butterfly keyboard on my work MBP was starting to grow on me.

Yeah, agreed. Generally the Thinkpad one is decent compared to some other brands, but it just fails any time you need it to be precise. If they just copied Apple’s trackpad tech it would be a pretty dank laptop.

Hmm, this may be a difficult decision. The flippy screen is awesome for watching videos and doesn’t wobble at all. The keyboard is hella good. The chassis feels very sturdy, all carbon fiber maybe? It’s hard to tell. But it feels like a very lightweight, super durable plastic. As durable as aluminum, if not more so. I’d be really sad to lose all these ports too. And the jet black finish looks really nice.

Oh, it says it's made out of magnesium on the bottom.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:30:59 AM by Fortuna »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2021, 06:58:46 PM »
So yeah, I returned the hunk of shit and bought an M1 Macbook Air.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2021, 07:22:18 PM »

How can you return something before buying it?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2021, 07:28:40 PM »

The hunk of shit being the Thinkpad. It was still better than any other Windows laptop, but the Macbook Air is just too advanced. It doesn't even have a fan, the battery charge lasts forever, and according to benchmarks the M1 CPU is as good or faster than the i7-8700k I have in my main PC. This is the first laptop I've ever used that seems to defy the laws of thermodynamics.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 07:53:10 PM by Fortuna »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 05:11:10 PM »

The hunk of shit being the Thinkpad. It was still better than any other Windows laptop, but the Macbook Air is just too advanced. It doesn't even have a fan, the battery charge lasts forever, and according to benchmarks the M1 CPU is as good or faster than the i7-8700k I have in my main PC. This is the first laptop I've ever used that seems to defy the laws of thermodynamics.

It says its good because it can't run anything stressful anyway. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2021, 06:14:48 PM »
This is the first laptop I've ever used that seems to defy the laws of thermodynamics.
I'm waiting for them to redesign the iMac with the M1x chip. Then I am going to stab Bill Gates in the back after 25 years of marriage, and enjoy a sloppy blowjob behind a dumpster from Tim Cook. And if that conjures up a dirty image in your mind, its not as dirty as I will feel reading "So, you just bought your first Mac. Locate the power button and press to turn on ... "
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 10:42:31 PM »
This is the first laptop I've ever used that seems to defy the laws of thermodynamics.
I'm waiting for them to redesign the iMac with the M1x chip. Then I am going to stab Bill Gates in the back after 25 years of marriage, and enjoy a sloppy blowjob behind a dumpster from Tim Cook. And if that conjures up a dirty image in your mind, its not as dirty as I will feel reading "So, you just bought your first Mac. Locate the power button and press to turn on ... "

Didn't you used to write iphone apps?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2021, 11:52:51 PM »

So what?

I knew enough to get into a mac and fire up xcode but ... and your face is likely to melt when I tell you this ... you can develop for iOS on a PC. Yeah. You can use products like Xamarin or Phonegap or React Native or.... well there are lots and they have the advantage that you can deploy to Android at the same time and not write the app twice. MacOS is an absolute mystery to me. I never really wrapped my head around Mac deciding to take a program, scatter its files to the four corners of your hard drive and never ask your opinion on where those things should live. It meant I could never find anything. I hated the rocket pad thing. The search was awful. The back up thing ... time machine .... it seemed to just duplicate, triplicate, quadruplicate my hard drive and use up all the space ... I felt if anything went wrong, I'd never be able to fix it. And the instant I needed to use the command line instead of the mouse ... ok, not happy.

If/when I get a Mac, I'll have to make my peace with all those things and learn them. I was able to largely ignore them as a developer and just got comfortable inside xcode for the very few times I wrote just straight up native objective c.

But I don't see a future for Windows/Intel.

Intel have promised 14+++++ forever.
Microsoft have promised Windows 10 forever.

^That is giving up. That is not innovation. That is uninspiring and getting left behind by Apple. And that won't be making me part with my money next time I buy a computer. I literally own a 14nm Windows 10 computer that I have had for a few years now. I'm ready for a change ... there isn't much of an upgrade out there without busting my bank account.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:59:56 PM by Toddler Thork »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2021, 05:17:45 AM »

The MacBook Air automatically turns on when you open the lid, so you don’t have to worry about any archaic power button nonsense.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »

So what?

I knew enough to get into a mac and fire up xcode but ... and your face is likely to melt when I tell you this ... you can develop for iOS on a PC. Yeah. You can use products like Xamarin or Phonegap or React Native or.... well there are lots and they have the advantage that you can deploy to Android at the same time and not write the app twice. MacOS is an absolute mystery to me. I never really wrapped my head around Mac deciding to take a program, scatter its files to the four corners of your hard drive and never ask your opinion on where those things should live. It meant I could never find anything. I hated the rocket pad thing. The search was awful. The back up thing ... time machine .... it seemed to just duplicate, triplicate, quadruplicate my hard drive and use up all the space ... I felt if anything went wrong, I'd never be able to fix it. And the instant I needed to use the command line instead of the mouse ... ok, not happy.

If/when I get a Mac, I'll have to make my peace with all those things and learn them. I was able to largely ignore them as a developer and just got comfortable inside xcode for the very few times I wrote just straight up native objective c.

But I don't see a future for Windows/Intel.

Intel have promised 14+++++ forever.
Microsoft have promised Windows 10 forever.

^That is giving up. That is not innovation. That is uninspiring and getting left behind by Apple. And that won't be making me part with my money next time I buy a computer. I literally own a 14nm Windows 10 computer that I have had for a few years now. I'm ready for a change ... there isn't much of an upgrade out there without busting my bank account.

Yep.  Mind blown.  The very idea of being able to code iOS apps on a non-mac... Just... Unbelievable.

AMD has a good upgrade.  Didn't break my bank too hard but I had to upgrade everything minus the graphics card and power.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »
AMD has a good upgrade.  Didn't break my bank too hard but I had to upgrade everything minus the graphics card and power.

Does it? I mean, I have a Ryzen already.

I remember buying my first SSD. It was only 64Gb because that was all I could afford at the time. They were seriously expensive. I loaded my favourite operating system on to it (Parsifal - look away now) Windows, and booted the PC for the first time. It was like magic. Like the work of the devil. I couldn't believe how fast it instantly made my computer. That's the kind of upgrade i want. I want magic. And when I see ...

... magic. I want it. I want an M1 chip in my computer. That is the future. Not x86.