Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
How does the moon show the same face everywhere?
« on: June 19, 2016, 09:17:18 PM »
We know that the moon shows almost exactly the same face to all observers, no matter where the are on earth or the position of the moon in the sky.

"the Wiki" describes the moon as
Quote from: the Wiki
Moon
The moon is a rotating sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth.

Some viewers see the moon directly overhead, others see it on the horizon.
These viewers would seem to be viewing completely different faces, yet we know that everyone sees the SAME face.

How is this possible?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: How does the moon show the same face everywhere?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
You already asked thia in another thread of the same topic: http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=5112

Please dont spam the forums.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:38:58 AM »
You already asked thia in another thread of the same topic: http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=5112

And I never got a sensible answer then either!

There you claimed: "Under FET the moon is 3000 miles in altitude and disappears when it is 6000 miles away (2x its height), which means its not going to turn much."
No, the moon would disappear under FET when it was more like 8,800 miles away and when the moon would change through quite a large angle - near enough to 90°!

And we KNOW that photons travel in lines - I believe you said so.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:18:42 AM »

There you claimed: "Under FET the moon is 3000 miles in altitude and disappears when it is 6000 miles away (2x its height), which means its not going to turn much."
No, the moon would disappear under FET when it was more like 8,800 miles away and when the moon would change through quite a large angle - near enough to 90°!

Keep your conversations in one place. I dont respond to spam threads.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 01:42:00 AM »

1) That was not my topic
2) No satisfactory answer was given there anyway.

But if I must I will put my posts there.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »
its a hologram  ;)

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »
I'd like to know how the face of the moon magically turns about at exactly the right speed so that it always faces the Earth on a globe. What balderdash!

Rama Set

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »
I'd like to know how the face of the moon magically turns about at exactly the right speed so that it always faces the Earth on a globe. What balderdash!

Tidal locking is not a chance phenomenon.  It is a consequence of GR.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-tidal-locking-between-celestial-bodies-occur

Not the best source, but a primer on the topic at least.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 10:54:52 PM »

For whatever reason it does almost keep the same face to us, though we see about 59% of the total surface.
The almost part is even more telling than the "same face", because it means that the moon cannot be a flat disc.

So many criticise one tiny aspect of the Heliocentric Globe, when explanations all make sense when it ties together.

So what is your "model" of the earth, sun, moon and the explanation everybody seeing (almost) the same face.

I cannot make the slightest sense out of any Flat Earth explanation for moon phases or either lunar or solar eclipses.
The geometry simply does not work unless accept Tom Bishop's "we don't know how perspective works over large distances"!

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »

One could just as easily say "I'd like to know how in a universe full of motion the face of the moon magically does not turn at all turns about at exactly the right speed so that it always faces the Flat Earth on a globe. What balderdash!"
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »

One could just as easily say "I'd like to know how in a universe full of motion the face of the moon magically does not turn at all turns about at exactly the right speed so that it always faces the Flat Earth on a globe. What balderdash!"
It does look as though The Flat Earth Society has no idea on "how the face of the moon magically turns" so that everyone the half of the earth that can see the moon can see to same face in their Flat Earth model.

Those underneath the moon look straight up at it, while those who see the moon near the horizon see the moon at an angle of almost 90°.

That looks like either a magic moon or magic bendy light!

But in this post:
The simplest explanation is that the photons simply traveled in a straight line. This is a vastly more powerful explanation to the mental gymnastics the Round Earth scientists use to explain why a round earth looks flat.
Tom Bishop clearly stated that it could not be the light bending, so can someone please explain!

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
the round or flat argument will continue forever as its neither..our reality is projected perception..quantum mechanics proves this..

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 11:59:45 PM »
the round or flat argument will continue forever as its neither..our reality is projected perception..quantum mechanics proves this..
Yes, but quantum mechanics does not change our visual perception of anything. It does explains numerous observations though, right from Einstein's explanation of the "Photoelectric effect" (for which Einstein got his only Nobel prize) and Planck's work on black body radiation.

I cannot see how "quantum mechanics" could change our perception of the face or phases of the moon.

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 12:03:07 AM »

That's not what Quantum Mechanics "proves" at all.  Stop reading Deepak Chopra.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
either that or a simulation  ;)

Offline UnionsOfSolarSystemPlanet

• The Moon orbits spherical Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 02:14:29 AM »
either that or a simulation  ;)
What matters is observation inside our sense, everyone that is seeing the Moon would see (almost) the exact same side and phase. Of course it's possible the Universe could be a simulation, but that is irrelevant, because we would just be inside a simulation discussing simulated things without being able to know what's the outside explanation.
The size of the Solar system if the Moon were only 1 pixel:
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Offline Rounder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 06:24:36 AM »
The so-called "Strawberry Moon" was photographed by people from all over the world.  I had high hopes that this would give us a lot of roughly simultaneous photos from far away places to compare, but it appears that most people took their photos in the evening.  There are very few morning moon setting photos to compare against the simultaneous evening moonrise photos taken elsewhere.  I did find a close pairing: Oregon and Tokyo.  The one from Oregon was taken between sunrise at 5:37 (or maybe very slightly earlier) and moonset at 7:00 local time (which would be 21:30 - 23:00 in Tokyo).  I compared it to one taken in Tokyo sometime between sunset at 19:00 and the closing of the Daikanransha ferris wheel at 22:00.  (There are riders visible in the gondola, so we know the photo was taken before the ride closed for the night.)  There is a roughly 30 minute overlap between the earliest the Oregon photo could be taken and the latest the Tokyo one could have been, meaning it is just barely possible that the two photos were taken within a half hour of each other.  However, I think, it is more likely that the Oregon photo was taken somewhat later than the Tokyo photo (could be as much as four hours later).

Moon setting at Williams Oregon

Moon rising over Tokyo Japan

I wish the Tokyo photographer had published a picture without the gondola obscuring part of the moon, but I guess that would be less dramatic.  What is published is still good enough for our purposes, however.  You can clearly make out some of the same prominent lunar features in both photos. Crater Grimaldi and its unlabeled little brother (Riccioli, I think) are visible at the 10:00-10:30 position in the Oregon photo and at the 7:00-7:30 position from Tokyo; Mare Crisium directly opposite.  In both photos the quite obvious bright dot of the Aristarchus crater jumps out at us.  To the right of that feature in the Oregon photo, at approximately the 1:00 position we see a limb of the dark Ocenaus Procellarum curving clockwise between two light colored regions of craters; this feature is visible in the Tokyo photo at about the 9:00 position, above Aristarchus.

...says the user who responded TWICE to the 'spam' thread...
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 08:37:44 PM »

It rotates at the same speed as its orbit.
Easy way to picture it is to hold up both hands or a couple balls, one is the earth other is the moon, slowly spin one hand and circle it around the other hand at the same time, the palm side of your hand will always face your other hand at the right speed.

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 12:36:20 PM »
We know that the moon shows almost exactly the same face to all observers, no matter where the are on earth or the position of the moon in the sky.

"the Wiki" describes the moon as
Quote from: the Wiki
Moon
The moon is a rotating sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth.

Some viewers see the moon directly overhead, others see it on the horizon.
These viewers would seem to be viewing completely different faces, yet we know that everyone sees the SAME face.

How is this possible?

I was under the impression that the moon looked different depending on which hemisphere you are in ... also the phases change in opposite directions ...

Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!

Offline Rounder

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »
I was under the impression that the moon looked different depending on which hemisphere you are in ... also the phases change in opposite directions ...
Yes.  Opposite direction, but still the same FACE.  If the moon were as close to us as the Rowbotham model claims, observers in the southern hemisphere should be seeing the south-facing craters on the moon and not the north-facing ones.
Grade school analogy: if the moon is a face with its nose pointed at the equator, one hemisphere should be looking into his left ear while the other hemisphere looks into his right ear.